39

I snuggled closer to Lucas as we laid down together on the small bed. His one arm is caressing my back while his other arm is under my head, making it as a pillow. We stayed there quietly for a moment before I opened up a conversation.

I tilted my head up to face him, "Where do you think my family is now?" I asked him.

He thought for a moment and shrugged, "They're probably outside of the room, eavesdropping, for all we know."

I jutted my bottom lip out and raised my eyebrows as I nodded before saying, "True, true."

"We're not!" My dad shouted from the outside. And then we heard mom shushed him, before hitting or pinching him. How do I know this? Well, after that my dad was groaning in pain, so.

Lucas chuckled slightly and shook his head at my parents' silliness. "You have one funny family." He commented.

"I hope that is a compliment?" I said more like asked. He smiled softly at me and nodded, indicating that it is.

"Seriously, I love your family. You guys treat me like I'm one of you and I can't thank you enough for that." I smiled at that. "Not to mention you being in the family, makes it a hundred times better."

My face heated up as my heartbeat quickened at his words. That was smooth as fudge. I was searching for words to say when my dad shouted again, "I did that!"

"We did that." My mom corrected him, making me feel embarrassed all of a sudden for these parents of mine. I lowered my head and bit my lip as if to hide from the embarrassment, but Lucas just laughed.

"I'm sorry about them." I whispered.

"Why? It's the truth." Is what he said. Yeah, of course it's the truth but still...ugh.

I glanced back up at him to see him already staring at me with a soft smile plastered on his beautiful face. His hand which was rubbing my back slipped down to my left hand, holding it and playing with my fingers.

Suddenly I felt something cold sliding down to my ring finger. I looked down at it to see a.. Ring?!

My eyes widened at the sight. I looked back at Lucas. He was looking here and there nervously. "Uh, Lucas?" I called him.

"Yeah baby?"

"Uhm, why are you putting a ring on my finger..?"

He let out a breath before sitting up. I followed his action and slowly sat, my mind still not in the right position. He bit his lip, which was sexy by the way, and looked at me intensely as if to read my mind. But how can he if it is not there, haha..

He held both of my hands, "Victoria Kalie Maurice, I promise you that I'll not leave you no matter what you're going through. I promise to be there for you when you need me the most. I promise I'll be there with you in every second of your life, and I promise to hold you when you need a body to cry on. And most importantly, I promise that I will always love you, and onl-"

"No! S-Stop." I said, already a sobbing mess. I can't. He can promise me anything but that. I don't want him to promise something that can't be done. Sooner or later, he'll have to move on. He'll have to find someone to love again.

"I-I don't think that this is gonna w-work." I stuttered.

He stared at me, his eyes held pain. I saw his Adam's apple bopped up and down, "I promise that I will always love you, and only you." He finished. The whole time he spoke, I frowned and shook my head.

Why does he have to do this?

"So Victoria, I know the order is already upside down since I already put the ring on you but, will you accept this promise ring? Will you be my summer in a winter day?"

If this was in a different circumstance, I would laugh at how cute he is being, he just quoted a Shawn Mendes lyric.

His hands on mine tightened and I closed my eyes, still scowling. "Why?" I managed to say, tears are sliding down my cheeks.

He wiped the tears away, put his forehead on mine and closed his eyes as he too started crying. "You can't be replaced. I know you can't," It's my turn to wipe his tears away. "And I will do anything to make you stay." He said in determination.

I cupped his cheeks, making him look at me in the eyes, "And how are you going to do that, Lucas?" I asked, trying to make him understand that it is of no use.

His silence answered my question. I smiled softly and let go of his face.

All of a sudden someone knocked on the door. We both flinched at the sound and quickly tried to make our faces look presentable before Lucas told whoever is outside to come in.

The door swung open and I was shocked to see Cara. Behind her is Brian. I noticed him widening his eyes as he saw me, probably because of my state and mostly my head.

Cara jumped and squealed which made me giggled at her action. "Step away, Lucas. Best friend is coming through." She said sassily and with that, she skipped to me and when she reached, she instantly hugged me.

"Hey! Be careful." Lucas scolded, earning a glare from Brian.

Cara gasped and immediately backed away, "I-I'm sorry, does it hurt anywhere?" She asked, worried. I chuckled and shook my head. After that she grinned widely and hugged me again.

She was swinging me from side to side. Lucas is staring at us with a furrowed eyebrows. Cara stopped swinging when she noticed that Lucas was still there, "What? Shoo," She waved her hand in a shooing way. "You've got to spend time with her for more than a week, now it's my turn."

Lucas shook his head. "I'll be back, okay?" He told me as if afraid to leave me alone with her. I smiled and nodded. He took one last look at me before he walked out of the room.

"You too, babe." Cara said. I was confused for a moment, what is she talking about? But then I got my answer when Brian sighed and walked out, not forgetting to close the door behind him.