Monday Morning

It was finally Monday. I was so ready and excited for school. I felt good. But that was probably the pills. I got up to get ready. I could hear Piper down in the kitchen. She was making breakfast. Mom had already left for work. She always had to be up early since she was a nurse.
I went down to the kitchen. "Good morning Piper."
She looked over at me and smiled. "Hello sunshine. You ready for today?"
"I am more than ready. I want to go to class and learn." I took a sip of coffee.
I heard the front door open. I froze until I heard Oliver's voice. "Good morning beautiful people."
I yelled. "We are in the kitchen!"
He walked in with Fox. They took a seat at the island. "How are you doing?"
I looked at Oliver. "I'm all right. More than all right. I am ready for today."
Fox kissed Piper. "Good, we are ready to have such a radiant beauty back at school."
I blushed. "You are full of compliments aren't you Fox?"
"Only for my one and only and her best friend." He smiled.
Fox and Piper headed out to the truck. Oliver went to get up. I grabbed his arm. He sat back down looking at me.
"What is it?" He grinned.
I just went for it. I grabbed his face and kissed him. He ran his hand through my hair bringing me closer.
When I broke away, we smiled. "What was that for?"
"Everything. I like you Oliver." I rubbed my hand through his hair.
He gave a toothy grin. "I like you too Lilith."
I grabbed his hand. "Let's get to school."
"Okay." When we came outside, Fox and Piper saw us holding hands.
Fox leaned out of the window. "Woo! Get it Oli Trolley!"
Oliver blushed. "Shut up Fox!"
"It's okay. I like it." I smiled up at him.
Oliver opened the door for me to get in. Before I got in, down the street I saw the 1972 Chevy gray truck. He was still watching me. At least I knew why I never saw him. He was in the truck instead of on the motorcycle.
I got in. I wasn't about to let them know he was there watching. Oliver and Fox would have gone over and beat the shit out of him. I just wanted to go to school.
Everything was going good, first and second period were great. I was having fun with Piper, Fox, and Oliver. I was trying my best to keep happy. To look at the good side of things. It was working until the headmaster called me into his office.
"Ms. Robinson, I need you to come to my office. Bring your friends with you." I didn't want to find out what was going on.
Piper and Oliver grabbed a hand. Fox was behind me. "You've got us."
I took a deep breath and we walked to the office. The police officers were there, along with Ms. Gracin. Something bad had happened. I instantly thought about mom. Something was wrong with her, I could feel it.
The headmaster was standing there talking to Ms. Gracin and the police officers. I stopped. "Guys, I can't do it. Something bad has happened. I don't know if I can handle it."
Piper clung to my arm. "You have us babe. We aren't going anywhere." 
Ms. Gracin looked over at us. That made the headmaster and police officers stop talking and look over. I could see it on their faces. They looked like I was going to break. Like I would lose it right there.
Ms. Gracin came up to me. "Hey Lilith."
I swallowed. "Ms. Gracin. What's going on?"
"The police officers need to speak with you. Why don't you come to the headmaster's office?" She gave a sincere smile.
"No. I am staying right here." I wasn't moving. I was afraid if I did, I would fall out.
She nodded. She went over to the officers. They nodded at her and walked over to me. "Ms. Robinson, Ms. Robinson's friends."
I let go of Piper and Oliver's hands. "What happened? Just get it over with."
They both looked to the floor, taking a breath. "Ms. Robinson, we are sorry to tell you, your mother was in a severe accident."
I folded my arms. "How bad is it?"
"She is in critical condition ma'am. If you'd like, we can take you to her." I shook my head no.
"My friends can take me." I grabbed Oliver's hand to go to his truck.
Oliver, Piper, and Fox didn't say a word the whole way there. I couldn't even cry at this point. I was furious. I was over all of it. I was going bitter.
I went through the hospital doors and straight to the nurse's station. "I'm here to see Ms. Robinson. She is in ICU."
One of the nurses nodded and got up. She headed over to a doctor. They talked for a bit. Then the doctor came over to me.
"Ms. Robinson." He held his hand out.
I shook it. "How bad is my mom?"
He hung his head. "Ma'am, I am sorry to have to tell you this."
I felt Oliver's arm go around my waist. "She didn't make it."
There it was. The numbness. It went all over my body. "She lost a lot of blood. Her lung was punctured and she was paralyzed."
I nodded. "What do I need to do?"
The doctor looked at my friends confused then back to me. "You should set up an appointment with a funeral home. See what you want to do, there is burial or cremation. But that is up to you."
"Okay. Thank you, doctor." I faked a smile.
"Before you go, I just want to give you my condolences. We all do. Your mom was a fine nurse. She talked about you a lot, she was very proud." He held onto my hand and smiled.
I grimaced. "Thank you. I will let you know what happens, if I will give her a burial or cremation. I have to talk to her lawyer."
He nodded and walked off. I turned around to frowning faces. "Let's go."
I walked passed them. Piper grabbed my arm. "Don't you want to see her?"
I turned to face them. "No. Not like that. She wouldn't want me to see her like that. I will wait."
I walked out and got in Oliver's truck. They soon followed. While Oliver drove around, I was racking my brain. I needed to see her car.
"Oliver." I stared out the window.
"Yeah?" He looked over at me.
"Take me to the junk yard. I need to look at her car." I was monotone at this point.
He didn't answer but took me there. I walked into the office building. There was a guy sitting there. "Hello."
He looked up. He seemed grumpy. "What can I help you with?"
"Did anyone bring in an old blue four door Volvo? It was in a wreck earlier." I stood in front of his desk.
"Yes. But you can't have it. I have to crush it up." He leaned back in his seat.
I chuckled. I leaned putting my hands on his desk. "Listen, that car had my mother in it, who is now dead. The guy who probably had something to do with it, is my ex. So, if you don't show me that car right now. I will go to the police and tell them you are withholding evidence."
He got up like a fire had been lit under his ass. "Follow me."
We all followed him back to the car. When I saw the car, it took my breath. I could see how mom didn't survive the wreck.
Fox scratched his head. "What are you looking for Lilith?"
"Anything that can prove someone messed with the car. Cut brakes. Or messed with something in the motor. Anything." I got down under the car.
I took my phone out and turned on the flashlight. I looked at each tire. Then I looked were the brake lines crossed. They were cut. A tear escaped my eye.
Oliver bent down looking under the car. "Did you find anything?"
I scooted out from under the car. "Yeah, the brakes were cut."
I dusted my hands off. "Fox, Piper, go to the police station. Tell them to come here and check the car. Oliver and I are staying right here."
They nodded, Oliver threw his keys to Fox. We leaned against the car. I wasn't talking. Neither was Oliver. The guy from the office came out.
"Did you guys find anything?" He was rubbing his hands off on a towel.
I shook my head yes. "The brakes were cut."
He rubbed his hand over his face, leaving an oil smudge. "I am really sorry."
I shrugged. "Thanks."
Soon after he went inside, the police showed up. "Ms. Robinson. What's going on?"
"I know I may sound crazy. But I think my ex was behind all of this. He stalked me and still does. My cat was killed and placed on my bed. Now my mother is lying dead in a hospital. I checked the brakes. They were cut. Mom got new brakes just last month. There is no way they worn out that quick." I folded my arms across my chest.
"I will call in an investigator right away." He dug out his phone.
"Hey, is Investigator Mitchell in?" He nodded. "I need him to come down to the salvage yard."
With that he hung up the phone. We all stayed silent. All I was seeing is red. Red was everywhere I turned. I didn't know how to shut it off.
Investigator Mitchell showed up fifteen minutes after the police officer showed up. "Hey, Dennis, what seems to be the problem?"
He shook investigator Mitchell's hand. "You need to hear her out."
He looked over to me. "You are?"
"I'm Lilith Robinson." I shook his hand.
"What is wrong Ms. Robinson?" He stuck his hands in his pockets.
"I think my mom was murdered." His eyes got big.
"My ex, he had a similar thing happen when he was in high school. His girlfriend broke up with him and he went mental. She ended up dead. But they couldn't put it on him. No evidence. I broke up with him months ago, he has been stalking me even after I got a restraining order on him. Then my cat was killed placed on my bed. If you look under my mom's car, the brakes are cut. I know good and well, that last month, she got brand new brakes put on." I was shivering. Oliver took his jacket off and put it around me.
Investigator Mitchell looked to Dennis. "Well?"
"Everything she says it true. Her cat was killed. Her mom's brakes were cut and he has been stalking her." Dennis scratched the back of his neck.
Investigator Mitchell gave him a look to say what was on his mind. "Mitch, when we looked at everything. The reason her mom wrecked was because the brakes weren't working. We just ruled it out to be an accident."
"Well, I think you need to rule the accident out. Something is going on. Take pictures of the car. I need to see the cat. Get me any kind of records you've got on her ex." He was stern.
He looked back to me. "I will do everything I can to help you. I promise."
"Thank you." I shook his hand again.
"Now, you kids get home. I will get everything sorted and see you tomorrow." I started to walk off.
"Oh, Ms. Robinson, don't stay home tonight by yourself. Or at all until we figure something out." He turned back around to the car inspecting it.
Oliver pulled up to my house. "Who do you want to stay tonight? We all can if you'd like?"
"You." I looked over at him.
Piper put her head between the seats to look at me. "We will each take a night. Then just keep going in a cycle. Maybe some nights, we all can stay."
"I'd like that." I got out walking up to the porch.
I sat down. Piper hugged me goodbye as did Fox. They left leaving me and Oliver by ourselves. I looked across the yard. I was picturing mom and I hanging up decorations. Or her coming outside to tell me dinner was ready. But now, she wouldn't be doing any of that.
Oliver put an arm around me. "We don't have to go to school if you don't want to tomorrow."
I kissed his cheek. "I have to. My mom would come back to haunt me if I stopped going."
He rubbed my shoulder, pulling me closer to him. "Okay. We will go."