Chapter Nineteen

I woke up, still in his bed Saturday morning. My phone had been flooded with messages from Christian, Sam, Tyler, Lionel, BJ, Alex , Mari, Jason, even Damon. No one knew where I was and I totally spaced out. I ignore their text and look at Nathaniel who is still sleeping. He's still in the same spot he was last night. I quietly get up and grab my shoes.

"Leah?" He says quietly. Dammit. "Shh, go back to sleep."

He turns his body around facing me. His eyes are still closed but he begins to speak. "Are you leaving?" He asks quietly. "Yeah, do you need me to stay longer?" I ask him.

I shakes his head. "It's alright, I'm good for now." I don't want to leave his side after last night. What if he has a stash of pills somewhere around? "If you need me please call Okay? I don't want anything happening to you." He nods and pulls the blanket over his head. I decide to let myself out of the enormous house. I walk downstairs to see Nate's brother Kol sitting at the table eating a bowl of cereal.

He looks up from his the bowl and his face lights up. "Hey-" I smile. "Leah." I tell him.
"Leah, that's a beautiful name for a beautiful face." For someone so young he's quite the charm.  "Thank you Kol." I decide to take a seat at the table he's sitting at. "How's the addict doing?" He stuffs another spoon of cereal in his house and continues to look at me. I ignore his rude and snarky comment about Nathaniel and continue to play nice. "Nate's fine. But if he you know, if you catch him with more pills don't hesitate to take them." He laughed momentarily and looked down. "Taking his bottles is a step to getting an ass whooping from him. At that point I just call my parents and let him get high." His parents, where exactly are they? 

"I know it's inappropriate to ask but, where are your parents?" I ask out of curiosity. He shrugs. "Somewhere away from us. They travel a lot so it's hard to keep where they are these days." I nod  being me, completely understanding.

"Well, I'm happy you were here for him. The last one girl didn't survive long with him." Survive long? What does that mean?

What?

"What do you mean?" I ask him wanting him to go in more detail.

"His drug problem was too much for her. She left him. That was the first girl he ever really loved." No wonder he's so broken. Wait did I just admit to myself that he's broken? He is though. He has a lot going on for someone his age. I don't like seeing him like this. A broken toy. "What did he do when he left her?" I have time today. He takes his spoon and goes in a circular motion. "I can't tell you that. Nate would kill me. Literally." I laugh a little.

"I understand. Thanks for letting me in last night. It was nice meeting you." I grab my bag and place it over my shoulder. "You too Leah."
I head to the door and I walk to the nearest bus station instead of calling an uber.  The entire time I think about how scared Kol looked when I asked him what Nathaniel  did when that girl left him. If must've been that bad for him to not tell me.

The entire bus ride back to the dorm I think about last night and this morning. He seemed better right? Yeah, he did. I keep trying to convince myself not to go back to him and spend the rest of the weekend making sure he stays sober. But I know everyone is worried sick about me.

When I reach the dorms I see Christians car. Shit shit shit. I should've text him to let him know that I was alright. I'm a fucking imbecile for not texting him. When I open the door I see Sam, Tyler, and Christian sitting in the room along with Mari.

Christian stands up from my bed and rushes over to me. "Thank god Leah!" Mari yells throwing her hands up. Christian wraps me in his arms. I expected him to scream at me about being with Nathaniel but I guess I thought the worse. "Where were you? Why weren't you back at the dorm last night?" Christian asks me.