Chapter Thirty Seven

As we walk into the diner, Nathaniel guides us to an open booth. I look around noticing that there aren't many people here, considering it's early in the morning, it makes sense. We sit down in the booth, Nathaniel, sitting next to me, and Kol directly across from us looking at the menu.

We remain quiet for a moment, looking through the options, and I automatically go with the strawberry pancakes. I used to order these a lot, especially back home so I figured it would be good to see how good their pancakes can be. "I'm gonna get the strawberry pancakes with orange juice." I say still looking at the menu. He scoffs. "Pancakes for breakfast?" Is he serious? I look at him, furrowing my brows.

"Don't all people eat Pancakes for breakfast?" I look at him with confusion, and wonder about the weird shit that comes to his mind. "Maybe Americans but we prefer that as more of a dessert thing, my family at least. Seriously Pancakes for breakfast is a no." It amuses me that he and his family don't eat pancakes for breakfast. Of course, we're completely different people so I somewhat get it.

"Fine what do you eat for breakfast then?" I say looking at Kol, who's still browsing through the menu. "Well, we prefer more hot and ready cuisines, like Sausages, and eggs, bacon. All of that good stuff. But pancakes? No." The waiter walks over towards us and Nathaniel grabs my menu along with his and Kols, handing it to the woman. I look up noticing that blonde hair, and I roll my eyes.

"Hi, what can I get you guys?" She clearly hasn't noticed me. Although I wouldn't put it past her, it took her a while when I last saw her during my lunch date with my parents. "I'll have your breakfast special, the eggs and bacon with sausage on the side." Nathaniel says. She begins to write on her little pad, as ad tell her our orders. She smiles and makes eye contact with me.

"Alright, I'll have your meals shortly." She quickly says, noticing who I am. The blonde haired waitress walks to the back quickly, and I turn my head to Kol and smile as he calls my name. "Hey Leah, so what are you into? Besides my brother." He smirks looking at Nathaniel and I roll my eyes. I'm beginning to see why Nate didn't want his little brother to come on this thing with us. I'm not sure if it's a date, or just us "friends" getting breakfast.

"Well, weirdly, I love Dragon Ball Z, watching Netflix, shows like the Vampire Diaries, The Originals, Legacies, oh, and The Umbrella Academy. Literally all my favorites, including Teen Wolf." I'm a hardcore fan girl. When I was sixteen my parents took me to meet Dylan O' Brien. I almost had a heart attack, much hotter in person if I may add.

Kols face instantly lit up. "You watch the vampire diaries? Who's your favorite character?"

I tilted my head, beginning to think. "Well, Kai Parker of course. One he's badass, two he's incredibly hot, and three, I don't know I just love his character." Kai has went through a lot in the show. His family treated him like some freak, or a druggie who had been addicted to crack or something, except for him it was magic. He was misunderstood, just like many of us in the world.

    I glance over at Nathaniel and I catch his eyes on me with a smirk on his face. I begin to blush and smile nervously looking at him. "What?" I ask quietly, and a bit curious. He shakes his head. "You're just adorable that's all." We continue to look at each other while he weirdly looks directly into my eyes, and I begin to stare into his.

  As the waitress comes back with our food, interrupting our moment, I feel a sudden relief, somewhat happy she came in. I may not like her but her timing is literally incredible. "Alright, I have your breakfast special, and for the kid, your bacon and egg sandwich." She says, finally looking over at me, and smiling placing my pancakes in front of me. As much as I want to ask her about my birth parents, I still can't bring myself to it.

"You all enjoy your meal." She says, giving us one last smile and walking away.

I quickly begin to dig into my pancakes as I hadn't eaten for days. Strawberry pancakes have always been my favorite, ever since I was a kid. I turn my head as Nathaniel eyes my pancakes as if it were a dead body or something, and I can't help myself but laugh. "Do you want to try it?" I say, cutting a piece off holding it up to him.

His eyes widen, and he quickly shakes his head no. He's acting like I'm offering him a bottle of vomit or something it's just pancakes for breakfast. "God no. Plus strawberries?" He scoffs. "No thanks." I jerk my head back and furrow my brows at his disgust for my favorite dish. I look towards Kol and hold up the fork offering him a bite. "How about you try some, since Nate's being overdramatic." He laughs as I hold the piece out for him and he happily takes it into his mouth.

His eyes begin to grow bigger as he chomps slowly onto the pancakes and nods. "It's not that bad. Maybe I'll try it for breakfast. Maybe." He says, beginning to bite into his sandwich. As we all continue to eat in silence, all I can think about is if Nathaniel's secretly pissed. I don't know why I'm getting so worried about it, it's not like we're dating. He's barely said anything, or taken interest in any conversation. Deep down I feel bad for inviting Kol, but at the same time I just hope that this brings them closer together. It doesn't feel like I'm doing a very good job though.

"You know, if I'm being honest. You're too good for him." Kol says, looking directly at me. My mouth slightly opens, but nothing comes out. I look over at Nate, who has a clenched jaw, and fist on the table. "If I were you I'd shut up right now." Nathaniel says, warning Kol. I look between the two, lost of words.

"It's true. You're a complete asshole. She's been nothing but kind to you. That goes for every last girl that has to deal with you." I furrow my eyebrows, curious about where this conversation is going, yet very horrified about what Nathaniel's next move will be. For a guy like him he's unpredictable, even for me.

Nathaniel slams his fist onto the table and shoots a glare at Kol. "What the fuck does that supposed to mean hm? Want to elaborate on that?" My heart begin to race, and I begin to worry. Not for myself, but for Kol.

Kol slowly stands up from his seat, and begins to stare Nathaniel right in the face. I looked at Nathaniel with my eyes wide, wondering what's happening next. "I said what I said, she's too good for you. You're a toxic piece of shit and she's this goddess. You do nothing but ruin the girls you date and I'll be damned if I let you ruin her." A smirk grows on Kols face. "Maybe we should tell her about-" Before he could finish the sentence, Nathaniels lunges his fist into Kols face, grabbing his shirt hitting him repeatedly.

Everyones attention is turned to our booth, watching the fight escalate. I try my best to pull Nathaniel off of Kol before anything terrible happens. "Nate! Nate stop! Hey!" I grab his face, forcing him to look at me. I look over at Kol, who has a busted lip, and a swollen eye, along with a bloody nose. "Go, wait in the car." I say quietly, looking down referring to Kol. He looks at me, in shock, still not making any move. "Go!" I yell, sending him off out the door.

I exhale slowly and look back at Nathaniel. His jaw is clenched, and his face is pure red. "I'm going to kill him. I swear he's going to die Leah." He threatens. I shake my head quickly and grab his fist, quickly glancing down at his bruised knuckles and back up at him.

"No, you're not. He's your brother, and yeah the things he said were wrong but you didn't have to hit him." I try to remain as calm as possible, trying my best not to yell at him for what he did. He quickly yanks his hands from my grasp and shouts. "No Leah! What he did was out of fucking line! He had no right to pull that shit!" He's right, Kol had no right to make any comments on whatever the hell is going on with us. Hell, I'm pissed at myself for actually thinking that I could make a change between the two of them.

What would make him say that? All Nathaniel did was sit there, and not engage in our conversation. I walked closer to him, and placed my hand on his cheek. "Look, what he did was stupid, and inappropriate. But it's okay now alright? You can't just lash out and punch your brother, a fifteen year old for that matter." I said, looking at him in his eyes. He let out a sigh.

"Lets just go okay? I'll drive." I hold out my hand, and he takes the keys placing them in my hand. This is going to be a long day, and I'm afraid that the worse is yet to come.