5. Alex

5.04.19

"Someone else hears what?" I interrupted, and the boy from earlier grew tense and frozen. I was originally going to apologise to him for treating him poorly, but whatever they had been talking about was much too juicy. Besides, I was only being rude to him as a defense against him being a jerk to me. I don't like the be shoved around like a play toy. I'm not a baby anymore, and I'm tired of being told what to do exactly when. I do miss the structure, but I don't miss the over bossiness that I received from my own father.

Finally, as if something in him had snapped, Ash spun around to give me a hard glare. His eyes had grown colder than I was used to, and I had a moment of panic before wondering why I was freaking out in the first place. I don't care what he thinks of me. "How much of that did you hear!?" he shouted, and the murmuring around the cafeteria started up again. Because of my background, my social skills are pretty stellar. I've been using them in order to get a higher status in school, and now it was like two delta wolves going against each other for territory. It's me verses this boy, and I don't plan to emerge under him.

"Enough." It's true, I had heard enough from him. I can only assume that he has some kind of disorder that makes him unable to eat solid food or whatever. I've heard of humans with that, and I can't guess anything else off of him.

"You will not repeat any of that, freak, hear me?" Again with calling me a freak. The word instantly gets my blood boiling. Ever since my twin brother was bullied as a child with the word, I want to punch someone every time it falls from their lips. I'm usually a passive person until someone threatens my family or pack, but I have neither anymore. I was only allowed to see my brother a few times, my pack has been taken away from me by my parent, and my mother is... Well dead. I don't have anyone to battle for other than myself, and right now my inner wolf is hankering for a fight.

"Right in the nose, Alex!" he chimed in the back of my mind, but I wanted to keep a level head. I don't want to piss off this kid more than he already is. I don't know what he'll do to me, and I've always been strategic. My father calls it cowardice, but I'm pretty sure it's closer to caution. I don't want to march right into an enemy situation only to kill myself and everyone around me. That's stupid and reckless. "I mean you're right, but he does kind of deserve it kid."

"Whatever, I don't care about you anyway." My words hung in the air between us, and his sharp blue eyes narrowed farther. I just can't believe I said something that mean to him and nothing snapped in his mind. I've slightly been trying to push his anger over the edge just to see what would happen, but this task is harder than one would naturally assume. He may be a ticking time bomb, yet he does have more self control than I could ever dream of possessing.

I spun on my toes before the tension could weigh unbearably on my chest, and I retreated to a table in the corner of the room. My eyes scanned over the vast area filled to the brim with teenagers, and my ears were beginning to ring from the horrible loudness of the place. Everyone in here seemed to be screaming about something, and I wanted to stand on a table and tell them all to close their big mouths. I ended up having to skip lunch because I couldn't stand to take my hands off of my ears for more than 10 seconds, and it felt like sweet relief when the bell finally rang.

I walked next to my class while trying to figure out how the numbering system in this school works. My eyes traced all along the walls trying to locate the place I was meant to be, and I sighed loudly when I realized that I wasn't even on the right floor. I walked down the stairs while disappointed to notice they were empty. Pretty much everyone was already in class, and my thoughts were reinforced by the ringing of the school bell above my head. I hope I don't have a strict teacher or I'm a goner. Suddenly, I ran face first into another body, and I was just barely able to keep my footing on the ground.

"Sor- Alex?" a voice questioned from in front of me, and I looked up a small bit to see my beta, Weston, standing in front of me. He had a look of confusion in his eyes, but I'm sure it was nothing compared to mine. What's he doing here? My father is like a dictator when it comes to our pack's land; no one comes in or out without his permission. He usually doesn't permit anyone under about 21 from leaving, so I was surprised to see the boy in front of me.

"Wes! Why are you here?" I inquired. I'm definitely glad to be here with something familiar, but I'm a bit suspicious of what he might be doing here.

"Same reason as you. Your father really hates homosexuality, doesn't he?" Why would Weston willingly come out of the closet knowing what happened to me? I'm not sure that his story checks out; he's never been an idiot before. Now, I didn't exactly come out with a willingness to do so. I had been dragged out of the closet kicking and screaming by one of the people that I trusted the most. Of course, as soon as the word was out in my friend group, it didn't take very long for my father to catch wind of the news. The same person who outed me had also managed to collect my diary confiding my sexuality in it, and my father couldn't refuse the bait to make an example out of me. He's always had a thing against people like me for some reason I didn't know, and I wished I could go back in time and not talk about anything with my best friend. How was I supposed to know he was a lying, cheating snake? "I did try to warn you," Camden commented in an 'I told you so' voice, and I sighed unintentionally. I mean, he had, but he didn't need to be like this when I'm already struggling with my own thoughts.

"Wait... Even if you are gay, why would you come out knowing what I went through?"

"I just wanted to get it out; I was tired of hiding my identity. I figured that now was a better time than ever seeing as you were already out of the closet. Of course, I got the same treatment, but at least I'm free."

"I suppose there is that benefit to this all... I just feel so alone now. I'm used to having everyone around me, but now it was just me by myself in an environment I don't even understand in the slightest."

"So, have you made any friends yet?"

"No, but I did make a few enemies."

"Leave it to you to make enemies on your first day in a new culture!" That kind of hurts, man. It isn't my fault he started it, and Weston above all others should know exactly how temperamental I can become when I get enraged.

"Anyways, what do you have for your fourth block?"

"I have Computer Science."

"I do too, actually. Do you have any clue where that may be?"

"I think so, follow me."