25. Ash

7.14.19

"Heyyyyyy mooooom?" I dragged out my words. I still don't forgive her entirely for everything that they did to Alex, but I was very good at putting on the front that I had. In truth, I would never give them the chance to go anywhere near my soulmate without my immediate presence, and that was a promise. I know that I can't trust them, and I don't plan to. Their disrespect of him will run forever through my mind, and I'm not sure that I will ever forgive or forget.

"What?" she sighed.

"Do you have any more of those potions on you? You know, the ones that you and dad used to skip death a long time ago?"

"I mean, yeah. We always carry quite a few if we go near that damn pack."

"Can I have one?"

"Why do you need one?"

"Well, Alex's dad wants me dead, and I wanna put on a show then break Alex out."

"Oh, yeah I have some to spare. Here you are," she replied with a happy smile before putting them into my hands, and I drank it on my way to the alley. I sat behind the dumpster awaiting the eventual time that I would be reached for, and sure enough, I was dragged out of the hole. I wrestled the arms grabbing me to make my act believable, and they threw me in the back of the waiting van and carted me away. I took note of the turns the vehicle made so that I could eventually run in the correct direction, and they pulled me into a dark room before exiting. The man I had seen only twice, a billion times in my nightmares but we don't talk about that, emerged.

"So my son thought I couldn't kill you. He's horribly wrong. This'll be easy, weak human." Alex has so much trust in me that it appears almost manipulative from the outside perspective. I just hope that I don't break that trust, and above all else I hope that this potion holds the correct effects. I don't fancy dying because someone messed up the chemical reactants. The angry wolf grabbed a handful of my hair and dragged me into a room, but I put up a fight to make it more convincing since I had to do a pretty good job at fake dying. I have to master the showing of my terror, or he'll pick up on the reluctance.

"Now that I have you both here, it's time for you to die," he whispered, while drawing a standard gun and aimed it towards my head.

'I love you,' I muttered into my headspace, selling it hard on his end. I had to see his genuine reaction and so did his father. That man would know something was up if Alex wasn't heartbroken, that's how soulmates work after all... Come to think of it, it's a bit suspicious that he was capable of killing his. Unless...

'No, this isn't the end! It can't be!' Alex's cries interrupted my thought process, and I got back to performing. His fate relies on my ability to act, and I hated how his voice was loaded with sadness because I caused it.

'I don't want to believe it either, but there's nothing we can do. No escape other than him killing me. My last words to you are I love you. Tell my parents I forgive them and to not get killed getting revenge.' I looked up and saw his eyes red and tear filled. No no no, I can't break! Not now!

'Don't cry, please. You'll be fine without me.'

"You remember when I killed your mother with no emotions? Well here goes round two."

I felt the bullet in my neck and intentionally rolled my eyes backwards before slumping sideways in my chair. I had to stifle the groan of pain and focus on not breathing; I could do it for quite a while, but only if I tuned into it. I fluttered my eyes until they were half closed and waited for the rest of the world to work itself out around my "dead" body. Alex's father untied me and I fell to the floor before he leaned down and felt for my pulse. I couldn't stop my heartbeat, but the potion made it weak enough that the man came back with nothing.

"Dead and already cold! How does this make you feel, son?" he stated, his voice dark and bleak.

"You are the worst kind of person. A cold. Hearted. MURDERER!"

I could feel the anger in his voice from my position on the ground. I heard a slicing sound before the murdering man muttered, "Have fun in here! I'll come force you out in 4 hours if you aren't out already. Buh bye!"

He left, slamming the door behind him, and Alex crouched down next to me bawling. I felt the wound beginning to close and decided to surprise him by saying, "you should take that out before the wound closes or it'll be a pain in my butt later."

He gasped and slapped me harshly before pulling out the bullet with no regard for being gentle. I may have hissed in pain, but I definitely deserved that. I think I could have been a bit more graceful.

"You son of a biscuit! I get that you were trying to convince him you died, but you could have at least told me."

"I-I-"

"I'll yell at you more once we sneak you out of here. Go out the way you came, I need to grab someone."

I walked out of the door they dragged me through and walked a little ways up the road before hiding in the bushes.

Five minutes later he came running around the corner with two girls trailing closely behind him. I grew jealous for a brief moment before I saw them holding hands. Then I saw there were guards running after them and freaked out. They would catch scent of me as a vampire if I didn't move. I scooted deeper into the bushes and watched as they ran past, too focused on their current chase to notice me. I then bolted through the forest and caught up to Alex looking left and right at a junction in the road. The group was also catching up, but I didn't care. Alex was my main goal, I have to get him out, no matter what.

I burst out into the road and pulled on his arm super hard in the correct direction. His shocked feet ran after me and the two others followed. I could feel him tiring; I'm sure that holding a storm as long as that one yesterday was exhausting on his body. I swept him off of his feet and continued to sprint. By the time I couldn't hear footsteps that didn't belong behind me, even I was pooped.

"Umm... Do you know where we are?" one of the girls asked. Who are these people anyways? They give me anxiety for Alex's safety. I looked at my surroundings and found them familiar, yet I couldn't place it.

"No..."

"This is around that old coven's place. I wonder why your running lead us here."

"I have no idea."

I looked up and sure enough it was our old home. Alex had clearly fallen asleep on my shoulder about halfway through, so I allowed him to stay that way. He needs a good rest. I walked right up to the door and tried to open it before noticing that it was locked. Oh, right! I reached under one of the vases by the door and grabbed the spare I recalled was there. The larger of the girls looked at me strangely when I opened the door, but didn't question my antics.

It looked the exact same as the day I left. Excluding the people, I mean. The 12 year old birthday cake still stood in the center of the hall with the chairs all scattered around. The lighter sat silently next to it, and I could easily imagine it in Papa's hand. The scene gave me painful memories, but I suppressed them to look less suspicious.

"I've always wondered what they were celebrating. They don't eat, anyways."

I looked at the smaller girl with brunette hair who had spoken. "It looks like a birthday," I responded, actually solidly knowing what it was but acting clueless. Turns out my skills are worse when a life doesn't rely on them.

Alex awoke slowly and I set him down. He looked up at me with a weird expression before saying, "how are you alive?"

"Remember the story? About the potions?"

"Oh."

"Mhn. Now sleep..."