37. Alex

12.15.19

"How are you awake!?" he shouted so loudly that the whole camp heard him. Now I'm racing against time... I need to get out before I'm seen again or absolutely nothing good could come of it. I was nervous about the feeling of questioning in my body, but I knew it was for a good reason.

"It's a long story I'll tell you later," I whispered before slipping out of the back of the tent. I sprinted into the woods before anyone could see me and made a beeline for the forest. I had to set this right and fast. I moved quickly yet stealthily with my eyes scanning any open area before running through it. If this was to work the first person I needed to see on this territory was my father. Anyone else and it would just go in another complete circle of lies and anguish.

The pack house came into view with the rising sun behind it, and I approached with extreme caution and scaled the outside wall as to not get caught in the hallways. I happen to already have a full knowledge of every single guard route, so I knew that the location I was in was an alright place for a mental pep talk to myself. "You're going to do great Alex, I know you can," Cammy encouraged to help with my own mantra, and I nodded along to his voice slowly.

"Yes, I can do it." I found my father's study, which he was in alone, and poked the window with my foot before putting it down. This was a peaceful visit, I wasn't about to kick the window open with style even though I really wanted to. I don't prefer to be attacked again, thanks.

He looked up briefly before going back to his paperwork, so I clicked my foot against the glass pane again. My father got up to look out of it, and I scooted away from the glass so that he didn't see me hanging from right outside of his window. I don't know why I didn't allow him to see me yet, but I had a feeling that the time had to be absolutely perfect. I have to enter without him noticing and already be close once he turns. If I can jar him into thinking I'm a ghost here to haunt him then he might snap into his original mindset, and that is what I have to aim to do. I'm at a disadvantage if I start from his fronting side. He unlocked it and sat down again, yet kept glancing up at the outside world. I picked a particularly long moment to push it open slowly with my toes. He kept his head down, so I slowly lowered myself into the room.

I stood there until he looked up, and I gave him a bad scare. I walked up to his desk and casually sat down while his face still was blank with shock. Then, in a turn I hadn't seen since I was a boy, his face turned into one of gentleness. Clearly whatever I did worked, but he also seemed kind of fearful. I can see why people crave this power now... It feels almost nice. No, I'm not going to rule by fear, no way!

"I didn't mean to hurt you, son, it was bitterness taken too far. Please don't haunt me!" He begged, and I just let out a small laugh.

"I'm not dead."

"But I saw you die. In the forest! I clawed you and you bled out-"

"Dad, I got my second chance. A chance to make everything right and stop the fighting. I found out why you did what you did, and while I may not agree with it, I do understand your desperation."

"I'm a bad person, son. I just didn't want you to end up like me. I've killed many people, been responsible for many more homicides. Hell, I tried to murder my own mate. I thought by getting you away from me I could get you to grow in your own frame of mind. Before I knew it I was being a monster again, but this time towards you. Nothing can fix me," he breathed apologetically. I was honestly shocked by the total 180 spin in his attitude, but it was a pleasant feeling that maybe, just maybe, I would succeed.

"I refuse to believe that. You see yourself in me, yet you also see my mother. You see betrayal whenever you look at me, the same as what you see when you look at Ash. I know you knew exactly who he was as soon as we walked into your office, yet you chose to play with him. Trauma makes people do crazy things dad, but I still love you and am willing to forgive you if you're willing to let me help you. Don't you dare throw out this opportunity because it's the only one that you're getting."

"I... I would like that, Alex. A lot... I want to have a relationship with you again."

I basically leapt over the table in my haste to hug him tightly. "Stay for dinner?" he asked quietly, and I shook my head gently. He seemed to deflate, but I was quick to explain why I was doing that.

"I would, and I will, but I need to stop them from attacking," I replied before leaping back out of the window and returning to the campsite. I looked through the bushes to find that the pack that I had stayed with for what, like three days, was also milling around. Oh God, I just remembered that I increased the number of enemies against my father because I had still though he was a horrible man that couldn't be trusted... This is going to go just grand.

"We need to wait for Ashton. He forced us to promise that he could lead the assault because of what they did to him," one of the older, more experienced men instructed, and there was a general tone of agreement. Everyone here can imagine how horrible it would feel to lose a second half, and I just know that they're going to side with him because that's how it goes. It's always been vampires versus werewolves, and I'm sick of the prejudice... Someday I'm going to end that, one way or another. It's important to me as an alpha that everyone receives fair treatment.

"So... Who wants to tell him that we managed to lose his mate's body in the few hours he was gon?"

"Well, I mean we already cast out the kid that was supposed to watch it, so it should be fine, right?"

I didn't know who was talking, but the only thing that I heard was that Allystar was out there alone. I turned on my heels and ran out to find him, but I was having little luck. Then I lifted up a branch and found him tucked under it. He was already asleep, so I just lay down next to him and wrapped my arms around his shoulders to warm him up. Maybe the world will fix itself when I open my eyes? What am I thinking, this is going to be a fucking nightmare.