13. Ash

5.25.19

The female lead me into the forest, and I was happy that I may have finally get a family, a group to rely on in my hard times. They took me in without question, which is a little bit suspicious, but I won't complain. I know how to get myself out of sticky situations anyways. I still missed my parents, but it was more of a lingering ache than a wound now.

"So what's your name, kid?" the woman who had invited me asked. It was obvious to me that she was the leader, and I could tell just by looking at her that she has a good heart. She's one of those who rules with honor and care.

"Oh, I'm Ashton... What's your name?" I responded, looking into her ocean eyes.

"Oh, I'm Kailey. We were forced out of our home in Virginia by a different pack of wolves. They called themselves the Black Stone pack."

"Really? I think the pack that killed my coven were named the Half Moon pack? It's just been so long and the memories are fading..."

"Oh... I they're the strongest pack on the east coast but only because they're conquerors and have forced all of those they find into working with their pack. They're said to have an heir with a lot of power, something about a wolf prophecy. A lot of vampires hope to kill him, no matter the cost. We don't, though, because we don't want any of our ranks killed. The kid will need his mate in order to win though, so I guess they've just been cultivating him for 18 years."

I looked at her in disbelief. "How do you know that?"

"Who hasn't heard about it? The entire supernatural community has him on their kill list. Except the wolf men of course, they have automatically assumed him to be on their side. I don't think the kid himself knows about his abilities knowing the way the alpha acts."

"I mean, I haven't heard anything of this."

"Oh that's right, you don't really have a link to our world, do you?"

"Nope." How did I get so out of touch? My father always told me to keep a close eye on what the rest of the world is doing or I would always fail.

"Whatever." She turned around to look at the rest of the people in her coven. "This seems like a good place to settle, doesn't it?" she raised her voice. The whole group let out a cry of happiness and began setting up tents and other necessities to live. I guess they'll get around to building a house later?

"You seem to have a ton going on, yes?" a voice breathed from behind me, and I jolted before turning around at a quick rate. That was alarming. An old, female vampire was the source of the voice, and his wise eyes bore deeply into my soul. Creepy.

"Oh, um... Yes."

"Follow."

I followed her into the woods until we came out to a softly bubbling stream.

"Stressed vampires find it difficult to control their instincts. If you want to be in our group safely, we need to help you calm your mind." I looked towards her. She looked old and wise. Didn't she realize how hard it would be for me to just let my parents go? Maybe that isn't what she wants me to do... I can't tell "I'm here to help. May I ask what your story is, as in what happened to make you so... Disturbed?" I found myself spilling everything to this lady I had just met. She listened intently, even when I burst out crying halfway through. I even included my mate drama from today, explaining that that was why they had found me face down in the forest. The look on her face gave away that I had fucked up badly even if I already knew that... This is way too much, I shouldn't be throwing my entire life story out like this!

"I see. You do have a few problems. It might be a good start to fix your relationship with your mate. Then he can act as your rock." She was right. Step one in helping myself: Fix my issues with Alex. He should understand, right? I couldn't even defend him against my dumbass friend, and I needed to fix it right away before our relationship shattered.

"Thank you," I responded happily, smiling for what felt like the first time in a million years. I can get through this!

*****

I got to school the next day, and I caught sight of his silky brown hair in the throng of students before maneuvering towards it, struggling slightly. I eventually reached him and stretched out to tap his shoulder, but I tripped at the last moment and ended up accidentally falling on top of him. His expression was shocked underneath me, and I felt the sparks rising from his back where our beings molded together perfectly. I just wanted to lie there forever, mixed in his scent and warmth. However, he shoved me off of him within a few seconds.

"What the heck!?" he shouted, quieting the hallway around us. A few phones were already recording, and I had the feeling they were expecting a fight just from the sound of his voice when he first responded to me.

"I tripped," I muttered, a blush lining my pale cheeks. Don't let the entire world see you like him Ash. No, I shouldn't care about that anymore, he's my soulmate and I need to start shifting my thinking now before it's too late.

He sighed, looking at the ground. His eyes were only slightly visible through his thick eyelashes. "We need to talk." Then, I was grabbed by the wrist, and Alex dragged me into the parking lot.

"What the hell!? You go from 'loving me' to being unable to defend me against that jealous bitch!" he yelled. I cringed unintentionally. He was really upset. I didn't know how to fix it.

"Wait, jealous?" I responded keeping my cool even when he was this angry. I have to live with what I've done so I can move on.

"Have you seriously not noticed, or are you too busy having your head in your ass!?"

"Noticed what?"

"Bradley has a huge crush on you, Ashton!" He spat my name with malice, and the prick went straight into my chest.

My best friend since first grade had a crush on me? Me, the disagreeable boy that had never had a clue. He has to be wrong, that can't be true.

"I uh..."

"That's what I thought. I guess I'll just watch you pair off with your new little boyfriend! Just ignore me."

He stomped away from me. I felt a hard tug on my chest. He's right, I'm supposed to love him forever. I had never even considered Brad an option, but now he was destroying my mate's love. I need to set this right, and above that I need to unfriend Brad. He can't continue to tear me apart, not anymore.

I ran after Alex without any hesitation, and I slowed once I got there to just walk alongside him. I know I look desperate, but I am. He can't just leave me behind in the dust, he just can't. We have to work out he's my mate! "Please just listen to me! I don't like Brad!"

His eyes held sadness and hope when his face turned. I don't like seeing him sad, it makes his usually bright emerald eyes dimmer. "How do I know that?"

"Because you're the first person that can handle me, you're the only person that can convince me to calm down. I need you!"

He lips turned down into a small frown, and I couldn't tell if it was anger or confusion that fueled the look. No matter, I have to persevere in my plans. "You- need... Me?" he whispered, his eyes hazed with an unknown emotion now.

"So much," I responded, leaning in to peck his lips.

He closed the distance between us, causing my eyes to flutter shut. His lips moved against mine, creating a feeling of warmth across my previously cold lips. This kiss was everything except rough, and I didn't mind it. Sometimes slow isn't a bad thing, especially when there's something this deep running through our relationship.

"I believe you." A huge feeling of relief ran over my body, nulling all of my bad thoughts. This boy, this perfect boy, standing in front of me, was my anchor. With time, I could love him. Never mind, I did love him. His soft laugh, adorable face, they were mine. He belongs to me now, forever. My mate, chosen for me since I was born.

"I love you," I whispered into the chilling fall air, and he gave a warm smile that I could definitely get used to.

"I love you too."