41. Ash

12.22.19

My mind was running at about the speed of the rain dribbling down my face. His light had just disappeared, and as much as I knew we weren't together anymore, I needed to find him and make certain that he was okay. The rain suddenly came to an end as quickly as it had begun, and I felt my blood run cold. There were a lot of bodies lying around and most of them did not belong to us. I could smell his scent but not see him, which only added to the feeling of dread in my chest.

I shoved through a circle of bodies to find a scene that almost made me lose my composure and swap sides. Allystar was trying to keep his father alive, but the group around him kept pulling at him. I would have stopped to yell at them but I was on a roll to find my freaking soulmate. I shoved through a few more layers of people before I found him... Underneath my father... Close to death. I was seeing red at the sight.

I moved aggressively towards him. I pushed my father roughly off of his crumpled form, but he turned on his toes and released a loud hiss. "Why do you care about him so much, huh? He abandoned you when you needed him the most. He switched sides, he lied, he cheated, and you still love him!?"

"He is my soulmate, and I refuse to sit back and watch him die whether or not he still loves me!"

"Then you have betrayed us as well. Hold him back, I have something to finish!"

I was grabbed by the shoulders and chest, and they held me while I was forced to watch his death for a second time. I could hardly breathe. Everything had turned dead silent, and all of the fighting had ceased. Every living person in the clearing was watching this. The pack was trying to fight their way in and save their heir, but we blocked them out.

I tried to wrestle out of my captor's arms, but I was getting weaker as Alex did. Suddenly my power burst through my veins, and I tore out of his tight grip. I flew forward and pinned down my father, so I knew I was no longer in control of my own body. The me that is sane would never have taken that drastic a step.

"I will make sure you feel all of the pain he felt," I hissed coldly, sadistically enjoying the fearful shivers that went down his body.

"Come on son, we can talk about this!" he stammered nervously.

"You... are extremely lucky," I responded before releasing him to attend to Alex. The rest of the pack had retreated once they figured out that I had this handled, so we were the last two enemies in the field that were alive. I picked him up with the strength that I had remaining and turned to leave when I noticed that my exit was blocked.

"Allow me through," I commanded.

"No!" they all shouted in unison.

I blew them out of my way in a fit of red sparks since I didn't have time for bullshit. I needed to get him somewhere -I guess to the pack doctors- before he lost too much blood.

I ran faster than I ever had in my life through their territory. Of course they didn't have any border guards since most of them were probably dead. I didn't understand why my father had whispered the code word into my ear. Nothing was going wrong, we were all willing to have a compromise, but he began a fight that ended in extreme fatalities.

Maybe it wasn't Alex's father in the wrong, maybe this entire thing was set up from a long ago conflict. The only person that knew anything about the past other than our fathers was Alex... Possibly that was why he was targeted. My father didn't want his truth exposed. He was just as bad as Antony, maybe worse.

Before I knew it I was in front of their house surrounded by the few pack members not overly injured or dead. "Please help him," I begged.

"Why do you want us to help him, vampire? Just a few moments ago you were attacking him."

"Please just help him. There is no time for idle chatter."

They grabbed him out of my arms, and I went to follow them in when I was blocked. "For all we know you could be a spy."

"I cannot explain why, it is not my place, but I need to follow him."

The leading woman sighed before reluctantly agreeing. I walked behind them while observing the house. It would have been peaceful and homey if not for all of the doctors maneuvering around with their different tools. It sent unshed tears to my eyes while also giving me a different outlook on everything. Everyone here was a person too, and I had never looked at it this way before. They all had families, jobs, aspirations... The only difference between them and I was that they were raised and led by a mentally unstable man that skewed their views.

We got to the room that the doctor would see him in, and I was asked to stay outside so that I wasn't in anyone's way. When I looked around, it felt like my heart shattered. A little kid no older than ten held his dying mother in his arms, a pregnant woman wept when she received word that she had lost both her son and her soulmate. This was all my father's fault, even if it was just because his trauma got the better of him.

Suddenly a man ran down from the end of the hallway. He looked absolutely exhausted, so I assumed that he was a doctor. "GET THE BAGS!" he shouted with urgency while he entered the room.

"S-sir, we don't have any more," a young boy, probably his assistant or someone he had to train, stuttered out.

"Fuck!" the doc exclaimed. "Come here boy," he commanded before the door was closed.

"We need a soulmate or someone related to him for a blood transfusion, but his brother already transfused his father so that's out of the question. He has no other living relatives, and as far as I know no soulmate," he continued. Only I could save him, but my vampire blood would probably not do well in his system.

"Well who was outside?"

"No idea."

The door opened, and the doctor bluntly said, "who are you?"

"I-I'm his soulmate, sir."

"We need your blood to keep him alive."

"I'm sorry sir, but we aren't the same species... Wouldn't that cause complications?"

"It could, but he will die either way and I cannot tell his father that I did not try every damn thing to help him live. Answer me this: would you rather help him and see him die, or not help him and see him die feeling guilty that you didn't try?"

"... I'm in."