16. Ash

6.03.20

I listened in silence while shouts rang from the room, and I felt my chest tightening in fear. I don't want him to get hurt, not now not ever. He's the only thing I have left to link my sanity onto, and I don't know what I would do without him. It felt as if my entire world had frozen, and I didn't have the energy to even think about turning away from him. Any attention break could cause his death, and if that happened on my watch I could never truly forgive myself. He was the only answer to my unending sadness, and I planned to take care of him for the rest of our days together.

When the door slowly pushed open, I felt my heart leap up in my chest. I have to be prepared for anything that could come out of that room, even a potential threat in his father. However, I didn't figure that something like that would happen. It was more likely for him to come out physically alright, but with emotional damage. He fell out of the room, almost stumbling from being pushed, and I had to catch him so that he didn't face plant on the tile floors of the office. Almost as soon as he fell into my arms, the scent of his blood surrounded me, but I chose to ignore it in favor of helping him. As much as I hated it, my fangs did come out at some point, but I couldn't just start snacking on my own soulmate. He was much too special for me to ever think about drinking from him without his permission.

Then, the thought began to sink into my brain. His father is right behind that door, I could totally slaughter him right now and he wouldn't know what hit him. Then again, that could make Alex sad, and I don't want that. I know he says that he's far away from loving his father, but the way I see it is different. You never truly know how much you care about someone until they're torn away from you. Living as an orphan is the absolute worst feeling, and I don't want him to have to feel that just because I got a bit blood thirsty over his father. Rather, I have to focus upon making sure that he doesn't get hurt from whatever injuries he has. I need to take him back to my coven or he could be in a lot of danger... Actually he could be in a lot of danger either way, but I know I can't take him to a human hospital, so it's the only answer.

Either way, staying here is a bad idea for his health, so I have to get moving as soon as possible. I dragged him to my coven, hoping and praying for them to accept him. One of the nurses smelt blood and ran out to me, taking him into her arms and bringing him into the infirmary. She wrapped his wounds with bandages before setting him onto a bed. I left in order for her to run the x-rays, and my heart was slamming against my ribcage the entire time. I just have to hope hard enough that he isn't injured and it'll work, right?

"He has two broken ribs and a sprained ankle. It'll take him about 2 weeks to heal the ribs, probably less for the ankle. He probably shouldn't be completely alone, but you should take him home," the woman declared, and I felt myself relax at least a little bit. He's going to be okay, and that knowledge is enough for me. Sure, he may be injured currently, but he would recover. Home... Where do I take him for home? That alleyway is no safe place for someone who's been hurt.

"Uh... He doesn't exactly have one," I admitted, hoping that she didn't make fun of either me or him.

"Well then, go ask Kailey!"

I all but sprinted out of the room at the idea, searching for the leader of the coven. Eventually I found her sitting in her office looking thoughtful, and I barged right in without even thinking about it being disrespectful. I've spent too long on my own that I'm not even thinking about vampiric customs before I act... I really need to read some laws soon before I get myself into serious trouble.

"Kailey?" I asked quietly, not wanting to interrupt anything and make it worse if I get punished for walking in unannounced.

"What do you need, Ashton?" she whispered without opening her eyes. Oh! She must be meditating or something.

"My soulmate got injured and he doesn't exactly have a home... Can he stay here?"

"Bring him to your tent."

I smiled, even though she couldn't see it, and walked out of room. Upon my entry, Alex was still out cold, his expression stuck in the immense amount of pain he was in. I picked him up again, aggrieved this time when his head rolled backwards slightly. I brought him to my tent, setting him down on the small sleeping bag in the corner. His face looked more peaceful, with lips slightly parted and soft snores escaping them. He looks so pretty when he sleeps, no matter the circumstances. Okay, that was kind of creepy, I know, but I can't help but think it when he lays like this. I sat on the ground next to him, wanting to be there when he woke up. I don't want him to feel alone anymore, not on my watch. I should be the first thing he sees when he opens those emerald green beauties of his.

I had to wait well into the night when he stirred, his eyes opening. The only problem was that they seemed to hold a lot more power. Their usually emerald gaze had become much more intense, drawing me in. They settled back into their original form when he sat up, groaning out a nearly silent, "what happened?"

"Your father... Uh..." was all I could respond.

"Oh." His voice was weaker than before. "Where are we?"

"My new coven's camp."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"They're peaceful towards your kind."

He smiled a tiny bit, leaving me dazzled. The world around us had faded and it was just me and him. His arms wrapped around me, melting my heart. He was hugging me! I know that he's done it often before, but I had never thought much about it. I'm just so fortunate to have him, and there's no living being that can convince me otherwise.

"Thank you for saving me," his voice, sweet as honey, told me.

This boy does things to me. Every time he moves, I had to watch him. Every second of the day, he was in my mind. Whenever he looked at me, his eyes were the only thing I could see. Even with just his voice, he could bring wonders into my mind. I had to ask myself what he would be like when we got closer. I had to get closer, just one taste, one touch, and I was addicted to him. As cheesy as it sounds, he's my drug... And I hope to never go into withdrawal.