4. Ash

9.24.20

Once I was finally able to fight the crowd to the locker room, I ducked under two flying undershirts and a pair of never before washed shorts in order to get back to my locker. The worn down rusty metal had no significance in my life other than the storage of the stupid clothes, and I opened it in order to grab down a white t-shirt, gray over sized hoody, and a pair of blue jeans I stole from Kohl's the other week. I don't exactly have a job, so I must focus on shoplifting and robbery in order to keep myself fed and appearing like the rest of the school community. I can't allow myself to stand out to these people too much; the can never know my secret. When I stepped away from my locker a bit to change, however, I was annoyed to find Alex at the locker next to me. In an attempt to ignore his every existence, I took off my top, but I could feel his eyes on me. The attention made me feel smaller than it used to– and slightly meek– so I swiftly put on the other t-shirt. "Do you mind not staring at me while I change?" I scoffed at him, and his irises snapped back into focus. Who just zones out looking at another dudes body unless they're gay, high, or not in their right mind? 

"Do you have a problem, Jackass?" Alex clapped back, and my eyes narrowed upon him. He's doing that thing where he tilts his head down to look at me and gives me eyes like someone telling a child their pet fish went off to live on the farm. It's annoying and demeaning, and I hate every single glance he casts me. Can I go home yet? Please?

"You are the problem, freak." I can tell that the use of the word twists him the wrong way, and for some reason that makes me feel successful. It's as if hurting him brings the monster inside of me pleasure. Then again, that is an entirely possible reason for the sickening smirk painted across my face in this moment.

"What did I ever do to you?" His face was shaped into curiosity, but I could smell the malicious intent coming off of him in waves. This boy knows what he's doing wrong, or I'm the President of the United States.

"What do you think?"

"Aww, does it make you mad when I look at you like an inferior?"

"I can't tell if that question is rhetorical or not."

"It most certainly is jackass." Before I could come up with a come back, the bell for our class transition shrilled throughout the locker room. Now this kid is going to make me late to my next class! "Better get moving." He sauntered out of the room leaving me to ponder my own thoughts, and I quickly threw on my clothes before slamming my locker shut and rushing to World Studies.

The bustle of the hallway surrounded my every move, and I made sure to keep my head down in order to remain under the radar. While I dislike it, my small size is a major target in the school. I can definitely win a fight against a mere mortal, but I would rather not be charged with murder and or assault. I made it to class with little time to spare, and I walked over to my assigned seat before the teacher would get the chance to yell at me for not being in my chair ready to learn when the bell rang.

"Yo man, how were first and second block?" my long time best friend and partner in everything, Brad, chorused while leaving an oddly lingering touch on my shoulder. I shook the tingly sensation off of my mind quickly in order to focus on my friends question, and the memory immediately slipped off of my mind like soap down a drain.

"You remember the new kid this morning that kept talking to himself?"

"Mhn."

"Well, he's been in every one of my classes so far. I can't catch a break off of him!"

"I feel really bad for-" he broke off as the mentioned boy entered the classroom a few seconds after the bell, and he was immediately called out by our old school teacher. Of course, his stupid charismatic attitude managed to win over the woman's favor, and he managed to get off without even a late pass. "Ass kisser alert." My friend and I giggled at the murmur, and neither of us had been paying much attention to the rest of the room until the kid sat across from us. Both of our giggles came to a complete halt, and an intense stare off commenced over the wooden table. Alex's eyes were completely locked upon only mine, and my face became flushed. My hands trembled in my lap, and I felt like I was about to explode verbally right here and now. However, I was able to keep my temper bubbling like an active volcano instead of having it spew out all over the floor.

"Good afternoon," Alex snapped aggressively, and the spike in the lava deep in my bones came closer to overflowing.

"Afternoon," Brad replied sharply, a hint of challenge alive in his eyes. Neither of us wanted him here, that was clear. This is our territory, not some random airheaded boy with no gauge over how annoying he really is. The kids eyes stared into mine hard, and I could smell the forced dominance rolling off of him in plentiful waves. He's trying to stare me into letting him stay like some filthy mutt. Well news flash, it won't work.

I swept my hair out of my icy blue eyes for the first time today since I couldn't see, and I caught Alex staring at me like he had in the locker room once more. My anger began to boil over the top, and my mouth began to feel a bit strange. No, no this can't be happening right now! I can't let anyone see this or I'm totally toast! The only person who knows my secret is Brad, and even he is supposed to pretend like he never did if my true identity was ever revealed. I do that to protect him, I suppose. I can't figure out why though.

"What're you looking at, freak?!" I growled while using my hands to cover over my mouth. Don't be suspicious. Please, please, please, don't get suspicious.

"A jackass," he shot back simply. Alright, I think I avoided his watchful gaze on only this occasion. This was a close one, folks. I got one more dirty look from him before he ended up turning his gaze towards the teacher who was already halfway through her lesson not caring that the classroom was in shambles behind her. Poor lady probably doesn't get paid enough for this.

I huffed loudly before returning my attention to the screen, and the lesson droned on and on until I wanted to pull my eyes out from their sockets. At least then I wouldn't have to endure this woman's monotonous voice and little movement. Just when I was about to fall asleep from a lecture on Hammurabi's code, the bell saved me from probably going to detention for shutting my eyes. I shuffled mindlessly next to Bradley to the cafeteria, and we both sat down side my side at one of the tables.

"So I know you can't eat, but do you ever wonder what food tastes like?" Brad asked randomly.

"I told you not to talk about this in public! What if someone else hears!?"

"Someone else hears what?"