12. Ash

5.23.19

I walked silently into the classroom feeling better and more refreshed than I had in weeks even without the blood. Alex was sitting there, where he was everyday, and I found myself wishing that I could get to know him better. For some reason, I felt my heart flare at the sight of his light brown locks that flowed messily over his rich green eyes that I swore I had seen before meeting him a few days ago. No matter, I just have to ignore him and continue on with my life, then everything will be ok.

"Hey," he whispered quietly, drawing me out of my fantasy. I ignored him, not wanting him to bring up the things that I had mentioned the day before. Of course, the action hurt me, but I liked to pretend that it didn't because I can't afford to be attached to some possibly human boy. Both of us would get hurt and I can't have that... I need to show some self control.

"Uh, I figured out how to use a calendar. It's October 10th," he told me. I flinched as thoughts of that night flooded into my mind, but I knew that he was just trying to draw a response out of me. As weird as it is, he also seems to be offended when I don't talk to him now. This cannot be happening, I'm not growing closer to him... Am I?

Then, his words sunk in all the way. This means that I'm going to be turning 20 today... I can't believe this. "Ten minutes," I muttered almost silently. The words made me full of dread, but I ignored the feeling and focused on my schoolwork as a distraction. I can't let myself think about it too much or there could be an accident.

As soon as the second hand struck twelve at 9:23, October 10th, I felt the biggest change ever wash over my body, and I was almost unable to keep my fangs from coming out in the middle of class. Absolutely not, mouth, try again next time. Actually please don't. Then my overly sensitive nose discovered a sweet scent, one that I needed to find right now. Somewhere in this building, my soulmate is wandering around smelling absolutely amazing.

I quickly raised my hand and excused myself from the room, nearly running to the bathroom. I paced for a few moments, contemplating how to find my mate. I mean, he had to be close if I could basically taste his aroma, but I hadn't the slightest idea as to where he could be. Wait, why am I using only male pronouns, I'm bisexual. Shit this is so confusing. I stepped up to the sink and splashed the chilly water onto my face trying to gain back a little bit of my sanity, but I wasn't predicting it when the scent got much stronger.

I snapped my head to the doorway, shocked but not surprised when Alex was the one who stepped in. A creeping feeling that this would be what happened had been gnawing at the back of my mind ever since the day after I met him, but the back of my mind had never communicated with the front of it so I hadn't truly thought into what would happen if he was the person I was supposed to spend the rest of my days with. We connected eyes, and I felt my control float away like ashes.. Oh shoot, the only time I had felt this before was when I went psychotic for blood... I don't want to kill the only person who puts up with me.

I ran my tongue subconsciously over my lips, enjoying the pleasant shivers that went down his back. Within a few moments, I was toe to toe with him, and he was pushed against the wall beneath my smaller body. I surprised both myself and him by kissing him gently on the lips. Of course, it didn't remain gentle as I pressed them into his even harder. I loved the way that he submitted under my touch and followed my lead. I was in control of my own actions now, but I didn't want to stop.

After a minute, he drew back for air and locked eyes with me. I just now realize that all I want is him, no matter what. Nothing can discourage me anymore. The bell rang and I mentally groaned, gripping his hand and dragging him through the halls. I ignored the judgmental eyes of other students, and we actually got to a class on time.

***

As soon as I opened my eyes the next morning, I had no recollection of what had happened the previous day. I stepped into school, watching the people chattering around me. They all stopped talking briefly, then launched into gossip mode. Usually I'm not the center of attention like this; I don't exactly do anything noteworthy of their whispers and pointing fingers. Then, I caught wind of what had happened by listening to a few of the whispers, and my memories all came flooding back

He was my soulmate, mine forever, but that knowledge was too much to digest for me. I didn't go to first block then I completely avoided him during gym, third block, and lunch. I finally saw him again in fourth block, but Brad was sat next to me again, picking at my perfect mate and making him appear upset which got me all riled up. No one gets to talk to my soulmate that way. No way in hell.

"Bradley! Enough," I snapped at him, his shocked and angered face turning my way. Just the look in his eyes made me want to vomit, and I prepared myself for a battle of the words.

"What the heck, bro! You hate him too," he shouted. I seriously need to rethink why I ever made him my friend. He's a grade A douchebag.

"I've never hated him, dammit!" I responded even louder. The teacher at the front of the room had stopped teaching and was making that 'I'll wait' expression. However, I wouldn't back down, and I wouldn't stand still. It's high time I take the initiative in protecting my soulmate rather than just being a bystander.

"Really! So all of the times you called him annoying, or trash, or anything else, were just lies!" I was silent because he has a point. I wish that it wasn't true, but the way I've treated my mate since he arrived at the school was poor enough that it looks like I hate him. I never did, I couldn't. When he began to talk beside me, though, I felt my heart deflate in my chest like a popped balloon.

"Fuck this!" he yelled, much louder than either me or Brad. He sprinted out of the room at a top speed and took my heart with him. Every thought I had today, it was all a waste. I can't believe this. Then, I processed what had happened and ran after him, trying to follow his scent trail. I was in the middle of the forest when it began to rain, washing away his sweet scent from the freshly fallen leaves. I collapsed right there, the water soaking me through. I hoped that if I laid there long enough, I would fade from the earth just as his aroma had.

Soon, I caught a strong scent, one that I hadn't smelled since I was 8 and thought I would never be able to sense again. Another coven of vampires. I got up very quickly, almost right underneath the feet of a 30 year old female. She sniffed me to figure out what I identified as, but I didn't mind the close proximity. Just the feeling of having someone just like me close was enough that I could relax.

"What are you doing here, lone vampire?" she asked, her eyes sparkling in the moonlight. Her black hair cascaded down her shoulders like a waterfall, and I began to get kind of nervous in front of so many eyes.

"This is my home."

"Usually our kind travel in covens, so why are you all alone out here?"

"Well... My entire coven was killed by a wolf pack when I was only 8."

"As much as my better judgement advises against it, you seem like a nice kid and we all have to stick together in this world to survive. Would you like to join us.."

I looked at her with a shocked expression. "Are you serious?"

"Of course. Understand that I do not offer lightly." I took a second to think through the pros and cons before coming to a final conclusion.

"Yeah... I'm in."