•one•

Edwin placed a cup of hot coffee made especially for Amari's liking right in front of her at his table, by which he sat right next to her. She smiled as she took a heaping sip of the scorching beverage. Though it was in the mid of the summer, as she was wearing very short shorts, it didn't stop her from having a piping hot cup of coffee.

One of his many records played in the background as the two relaxed, enjoying the company of each other. It's truly been a minute since these two had some quality together.

"Ed, I know I've been talking to you on the phone and everything but how has it been, really?" She asks, leaning back in her chair.

He sucked his teeth. "Aight. You'd think Tiffany would leave me alone? Nope. She wants to be friends still but that usually comes with benefits if we're talking about her," The sassy jumped out with the last phrase.

"Yikes." She shakes her head. "She needs to move on."

"I'm not mad at her. How could someone resist me?"

Amari gives Edwin a look which causes him to crack up. She didn't find attraction in him in that way but she'd be lying if said that her best friend wasn't a dime piece of a man. A fine, fine, dime piece of a man.

Funny story about they came to be, but anyhow.

"But hey, what if I like, planned a party soon. Like this weekend soon?" He leaned forward, tryin to get her into the idea.

She shrugged. "Uh. I don't know. Parties make me uncomfortable, and what you call a little party is terrifying. Last time you threw a party someone ended up on the roof, and jump into a bouncy house which deflated and they almost suffocated,"

He waves it off. "Dude was fine."

"A fractured pinky is fine to you? Look, it has to be something laid back," She crosses her arms. "Or I won't be attending."

And honestly, if she were a 100% referring to her own, person decision. There's no way in hell she'd miss this party. But Zion— oh Zion. He wouldn't let her get the chance. Same ol' Z.

"Attending a party?" Nick suddenly came bursting though Edwin's front door with no concern. "Mar, you got to go.  It'll be fun, you and Z can definitely loosen up."

She furrowed her brows at him. She only sees him only once in a blue moon, and when she does, specially this time of the year, he usually has no shirt on and only a pair of basketball shorts to match. It makes her slightly uncomfortable, but it doesn't throw her off completely.

"I'll let you know I am not loose. Everything about me is tight." She didn't hold back a word, until after the sentence formed she wished she did. Not only did it not make sense, it was just the flame to an awkward moment.

Poor Edwin nearly choked on air as Nick stood from a distance, taken aback by the comment.

"Woah—"

"That's not what I meant. I don't know where that comeback was going. Just go ahead Eddie, throw the party," She sort of dips her head in embarrassment.

Still coughing up a storm, all he could do was throw a thumbs up.

~*~*~*

"Zion."

His caramel complexion laid effortlessly in the sun, his dreads pulled back out of his face to showcase those beautiful immaculate brows and his full pink lips. His body was nicely toned and the only thing that covered him were his stupid swimming trunks, which barely sat up on his hips right. His v-line teased poor Amari as not only that, but his whole figure was glistening in the sun. If they were not at their public apartment pool those swimming trunks wouldn't be on anymore.

He used his hand to shield the sun from his big brown eyes. "Yes, baby."

He eyed her down as she was wearing a skimpy yellow bikini which didn't cover much of her bottom half. Her mocha skin held the sun captive as it reflected off her wet skin. Her curly hair was up in two, pulling it back out of her way to show her round face with piercing eyes.  There was so much to look at but so badly did he want her on top of him.

"Edwin's having a party. We're going, right?" She asked, sitting next to him, where he laid back on the beach chair.

He kind of gave her a look. A look that even before she was too familiar with. The same, hesitation he gave before saying any answer that had to deal with her having anything to do with going out.

She bit her lip as his face didn't budge. "No."

"Okay, well you don't have to go—"

"You are definitely not going alone." He crosses his arms over his pecks.

She stomped her foot in frustration. He glared at her before she quickly fixed her attitude. "Okay. Why? What even happens?"

"A lot."

Amari grunts as she stands up, but his hand brings her back down onto the beach chair next to him. "Don't think about it."

"I'm thinking about the fact that you don't trust me enough to go without you somewhere. Still?  You got me," She patted her chest once.

He bit his lip, looking at her. "It's not that."

"I'm not going to ask what it is, because when I do you don't tell me. You're going to have to eventually."

He chuckled dryly, before averting his gaze from her direction. He shook his head so his dreads could fall in front of his face, like normal.

This always rubbed her the wrong way. So badly does she want to know what in the hell is it about him and not letting her go on her own anywhere. It seemed at first like it was only a thing to keep her from growing feelings for other people. Now, it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Nonetheless, she shrugged it off as she jumped back into the pool. As she plummeted her head rose above the water, looking at Zion, who'd been staring at her the moment she jumped with an eagerness, for what neither would know. She threw a beam expression his way, as he let a smile too form at his lips.

~*~*~*~

a/n: phases is just grrrrreaaaat

STREAM IT!