•twenty-seven•

"I don't know what to do." She sat on curled up on the bed, her eyes red from bawling for hours.

It was late now, the apartment grew dark. There was a small lamp on in their room, and that was it. Zion sat at the edge of the bed, facing away from Amari, pondering about this child that had now suddenly exists. An accident made from a mistake.

"Do you want the baby?" He asked.

She shrugged, although he didn't turn around to see. "I don't know yet, can you wait??"

"I'm not rushing you. I'm just asking—"

"Z we just figured this out two hours ago. This ain't a tiny decision to make. Give me time, please."

He huffs once, big enough for all the air to immediately escape his body. "Baby, I'm not rushing you I promise. I just wanted to know. You aren't saying anything and I was just worried,"

She crawls near the edge of the bed towards him. She sat close enough to where he could feel her, but they hadn't touch. Her legs go criss cross and she gazes over at him. "What do I say? We're 20. I wanted a baby eventually, but not this soon. This hasn't happened to me before I'm panicking."

He places a hand on her knee and she gets goosebumps. Her lips part before she spoke, processing what she had to say thoroughly. "I just don't want you to leave me like this. I don't want it to be this that pushes you away from me."

"Mari, what sense would it make for me to leave you when it's my fault?" He didn't yell but the bass in his voice was apparent.

She flinched a bit. "It's not just yours. It's a team effort."

The conversation was stopped by the ringing of a phone. They both simultaneously turned to each other with a bit of confusion. They searched through there fumbled sheets to find whoever's phone was ringing. Finally after a few seconds Zion's hand landed on the phone which was Amari's. His thick eyebrows furrowed as the name was planted on the screen. He immediately pressed the end call button.

"So, are not going to tell me who it was?" She states, appalled.

"It's fucking Edwin." He scoffed. "You can't talk to him."

"Actually," She reaches over Zion to grab her cell out of his hands with the least amount of respect. She pressed the missed call to quickly return it. Placing it to her ear she tucked one arm under the other.

It rings once before it's answered. "Hello?"

"Ed, what's up?" She asked looking around the room.

"I just wanted to... um, check up on you. I know I said I wasn't going to call you, but I just wanted to hear your voice."

She nodded and her eyes flickered over to Zion, who watching her expressions closely and carefully. "Yea, so I have something I want to tell you, actually."

He perks up. "What's that?"

"Mari. He doesn't need to know our business." Z lips moved but no words came out. His expression was begging, as he stood to look down on her.

"I'm pregnant."

There was a prolonged silence over the phone. It sounded like he'd hung up. She bit her lip nervously, not knowing how it would make her best friend feel. Removing her ear from the phone she had to check and make sure he hadn't left as yet. Placing it back on her ear she looked at Zion who looked her up at down. It made her nervous.

"Hello?" She called to her friend. He cleared his throat before responding.

He smacked his lips in disbelief. "Don't play with me."

"I'm not."

"Amari," Z's voice boomed suddenly. "I think you should hang up the phone."

Edwin didn't hear him. He stuttered. "Oh. Oh no, Mari."

She looked over at her boyfriend again who seemed pretty angry, but continued with the conversation. "What do you mean oh no?"

"Remember the last time?" Edwin recalled rather quickly.

"The last time what?"

"You got pregnant." His tone softens.

Her breath stopped for a moment. It had all come running back to her as quick as a snap of a finger. It's funny how she had forgotten such a time in her life when she was once so reckless with another guy. Yet, this other time the guy wanted the kid.

Amari's lips felt numb. Her fingertips slid on her bottom lip before speaking. "That's not going to happen again this time. Please don't say that I think I'm ready this time."

He scoffed, which she was taken aback by. "You said that last time."

At this time, Zion had walked out the room. Hell, maybe out of the apartment at this time. He was clearly fed up. Mari stood, and peaked out the door, and took a quick inspection of the apartment before she spoke again. 

"Look, Ed," She closed the door behind her softly. "It's because we weren't actually in a relationship. We were just taking the hurt away and we slipped up. Really bad."

"Then we have slipped up way too many times. That's not the point, though. Be careful, because it could happen again." He dares not to mentioned what "it" was.

She swallowed. "I know, I know. I just wanted to let you know. 'Cause I truly felt you had the right to."

"Thank you." The mellow smile that formed on his lips could be heard through his words. "Take care, okay? Do not call me back unless it's an emergency. You hear me?"

"Okay," She replied.

"No, Amari. Seriously, do you hear me? This is a time for you and Zion to figure things out. Do not pull me in the middle anymore." Edwin pleaded.

She nodded. "No okay— Yea, I got it. I got it. I'll miss you in the meanwhile."

"I'll miss you, too. Bye, Amari." He says before hanging up immediately after his farewell.

That would probably be the last time in a while she'd hear from him. She threw her phone on the bed where it was found and opened the door. Still empty; he must've went outside or something. She slid on her slides and went to look for the key but he took them with him. That's when she rushed out the door and down the stairs where she saw him posted up, his back leaning against the wall.

She stopped at a distance, just standing there for a moment as she waited for him to notice her.

His head slowly turned towards her, and he just stares at her for a moment. He smiles.

"I got my roommate pregnant. I got my roommate who is also my girlfriend now— pregnant." The smile faded. "Did I mess up your life? I know this wasn't what you had in mind when you moved in with me. I know I'm a bit messy, but damn I fucked up that bad? So bad you had to go tell your best friend about it?"

"Zion. Can I explain why?"

"Let me finish." He spoke over her.

~*~*~*~*~