•fourteen•

the double y'all deserve.

Edwin didn't know exactly how to take this sly comment. Or remember how to take it, really. It was all very tempting and too good to be true. He watched her eyes as they shot down to his lips staring at them.

Nor was Amari ashamed that that even came out her mouth. Knowing her best friend, she knew he'd do almost anything for her to feel better. That included probably making out with her, like, right now. It wouldn't be out of character for their friendship.

They've always respected each other's relationships and never crossed the line. Yet when times like this come-- it's a different ball game. It's a free period, give or take.

It's been a minute for them. They were far away until Amari moved out here, moving in with Zion resulting in them barely getting to see each other. Plus, he and his girlfriend at the time were tightly knitted and she was falling for Zion.

Even after his break up with Tiffany, she was right there. Also, when she and Zion were going through a weird stage in whatever thing they had going on before they were official, he was right there holding her, taking care of her, and making sure she was okay. Nothing ever really crossed the boundaries, because they knew when it would be okay.

The way their friendship runs has always been their little secret. Including close friends like Zion, Nick, Austin, and any of their other friends. It's just them. Right now is an open slot.

He wasn't so sure though. "Mari--"

"Eddie, I'm here for a reason." She smiled.

Hesitant, he still nodded. He walked over to close the door softly, slowly pushing it in all the way. He turned around, watching Amari as he gazed at her.

"C'mere." She says, holding her arm out for him to come and hug her, to which he went to go sit right next to her and hug her tightly. He pulled away, to look her in the eyes. Their faces were only inches apart, as he played with her hair. "Stalling?"

He chuckled. "Nah, I just want to make sure you remember what's going on."

She leaned in for a kiss, but he pulled away for a moment. "Amari." He whispered.

"Yea, I got it. Please," She pleaded quietly, placing her hands on his jawline, caressing them.

"I'm serious. Remember who you're for. Not me."

She stole a quick peck, catching him off guard. He gave her one more warning look before kissing her back with some passion behind it. Slowly but surely, it became rougher as she tugged at the fabric of his shirt.

He pulled away once again, looking at her dead in the eyes again. "Mari."

Her eyes watered a bit as she watched him. It was almost like he was slightly judging her for how antsy she was becoming with it. "Why'd you stop?"

"You're getting too carried away," he says, his hands caressing my arms.

"Can you just work with me, Ed?"

He sighed, looking at her eyes filling slowly with tears. He wiped them as she failed at trying to fight them herself. "I'm not going to be able to fill his spot, not even temporarily."

"I know. Can you just— do something, Edwin?" Her voice began shaking as her attempt to fight off crying failed completely. She held her hands over her face to cover as he brought her into a warm hug.

"This isn't the way to do it anymore. You're in love now it won't be the same. You love me but never like that," He whispered into her ear as she continued to cry and cry.

She wasn't sad, or mad even. Frustration within herself just peaked and this is how it chose to reveal itself. Through messy tears.

Shaking her head she went on to sob. "He's mad at me like I said what I said on purpose."

"He knows you didn't-"

"Then why is he acting like I fucking did?" She shouts, causing Edwin to shush her, rubbing her back as she continued shake and cry all of her feelings out.

Grabbing a handful of his shirt she finally began to hug him back, taking his embrace. "Zion has his reason. It's with how he handles things like this, not you. Although you did sort of cross the line, but not purpose but that's what he fails to understand."

She shrugged lightly, leaning her head on his shoulder. "He doesn't trust me. How does he love me but doesn't trust me?"

"Hell if I know. Just know that he does, and he's doing this for the best."

~*~*~*~

Nick and Edwin were staring each other down as Amari took a deep post cry nap in the guest room, further away from where they were now.

Nick adjusted the cap on his head as Edwin chewed away on his sandwich.

"So she just started crying?" He asked, patting down his hat. He didn't believe they were just talking and she just busted into tears.

He nodded, placing his sandwich down on the plate. "Amari was overwhelmed. And what the hell what I do to make her cry? See this is why I didn't talk to you for all those months. Always make me seem like I only do wrong,"

"You seem defensive." He leaned back, watching his brownish face redden. "What did you do?"

Edwin slammed his hand on the table. "I didn't do shit!"

Nick smiled mischievously. "So you didn't make a move on her yet?"

He furrowed his thick eyebrows, grimacing at him. "No."

"Can I?" He asked.

"What?"

"I want to make my move. Since they're on break and everything. It wouldn't hurt the relationship, right?"

Edwin watched him carefully as he said those words. He was being dead serious, his little mischievous smile dropped from his lips suddenly. It had suddenly become a heart to heart thing.

He really liked this girl and seemingly would jump in every slot that he could skirt around without it hurting anyone. In reality he didn't want to be a home wrecker.

"Nick."

"I'm being serious, Ed. Would I be crossing the line if right now I go into that room and just held her? Kissed her?" His gestures became larger as he went on. "A break is a break."

"Maybe." There was guilt that filled his stomach, even with the sandwich he'd been eating it turned and twisted. "If I'm being honest, what do you think he's doing right now?"

"Messing with other girls to get his mind off it." The answer was immediate, which made the lightbulb click on over his head.

He picked up his sandwich again to take another bite, watching Nick as his mind worked. He stood straight.

"If you thought this was wrong would you still help me?" He question.

Edwin shook his head, swallowing his food.

"Hell no."

"So, you're going to help me?" He asked, stepping up to the Dominican who just exhaled, watching his brief excitement.

"You're on your own," He sinked his teeth into his sandwich again.

What happened between him and Amari is different than what may happen between Nick and her, which is something that he obviously cannot completely avoid, but will not be a part of. What he believed he did was to benefit her, not himself and for his own needs. That's just his best friend, and he was willing to do anything she needed.

Anything.

~*~*~*~