•twenty-one•

She didn't bother pacing herself as she rushed down the sidewalk, her eyes filling with tears. She gripped her top to keep it from falling down. Her head was pounding and she physically grew hot, even for such a cool night like this.

Before she knew it she made her way into Zion's arms, very upset and distraught. Amari let his drunken words get in her head. He wouldn't dare to let him ask right away because the truth might spill out.

That truth being that she did in fact kiss Edwin. She went back to Edwin to confine herself in after he seemed as if he didn't want her anymore. It was slightly true. As far Nick knows though, they've never actually had sex.

They were laid up in bed, his toned arms wrapped around her securely. He caresses her back as she weeped.

Zion had no idea what was going on. Not a clue. His baby just walked in with a flushed face and wet cheeks and all he wanted to do was comfort her because that's the only thing he could do immediately at that time. He placed kisses on her forehead as buried her face into his chest, his shirt becoming damp.

"Baby. Tell me what's wrong?"

There was a moment of comfortable silence. The way she was trying to force her breaths to slow down sounded uncomfortably forced. She sat up, struggling to look him in the eye.

"What happened?" He was a bit firmer about it this time around.

"Will you get mad if I say something happened while we were taking our break?" She mumbled at his chest. He huffed, looking around. The vein in his neck was already visible.

"I'll try not to. It depends," He began to distance himself before she could even say what it had been. She grabbed his arm and shook her head in almost a pleading manner.

She sniffed. "Just listen."

Amari's eyes wandered around the room. "It was maybe a day or two of staying over by him. He kissed me—"

"What the fuck. Mari."

The tears started flowing again. Her fear losing him had come all so suddenly. "Z, this was the only time it has happened. Please Zion, you don't understand. He kissed me!"

Technically, that's not true. It was mutual agreement but it was strictly out of desperation. Of course, she's not going to say that.

"Yea. I don't. Explain to me." He eyed me up in down with disbelief.  "Did you think we were done at that point? Is that why? Or was it because you couldn't contain yourself because you love him too?!"

The crack in Z's made a lump grow plump in her throat. She was terrified that anything she would say would further push him into whatever he was currently feeling. "Caleb."

"Don't Caleb me! Fucking tell me."

"I- I was alone and he was the only one there. I didn't want to call you because you were already upset. We were both upset. He was trying to make me feel better. I don't love Edwin like I love you. I love you so much. I think that's what you're not getting; that I love you more than anyone on the entire planet. He kissed me!"

Again, not fully true.

He wasn't even looking at her at this point. With his jaw clenched he looked away with a hurtful eye and a fist full of nothing. He's gears were grinding and certainly he was going to do something about. Not to her. He, in that short moment, convinced himself it wasn't her fault. It never was.

"C'mon, let's get dressed." He said before getting up from the couch, leaving Amari there for just a moment before she followed. They just threw on almost anything and he grabbed her one hand, and with the other swiped up the keys from the counter.

"Shut the door," He demanded.

She did as told, as she felt like her arm was a leash to him as he had her hand and wouldn't let go until they got to his car. They hopped in opposite sides of the front of he car closing the doors simultaneously. Within a second the car was started and moving off from the parking space and speeding off into the main road.

It's probably a bad idea to drive in such condition that Z is in currently. His vision his blurred and his heart his pumping out of his chest as his reflexes are fast and aggressive. He was way over the speed limit and obviously couldn't give two fucks.

The Law did.

As he sped down the highway the reflection of blue lights in the car had caused him to grunt, looking between the windshield and the rear view mirror. He eventually slowed down and pulled over.

Amari, sitting in the passenger seat began to get super anxious. She hit that, though she was so obviously biting her nails. She looked over at her partner, who looking straight forward with his hands on the wheel paid no attention to her. She continues to look at him as the officiating strolled to his glass and knocked on it.

"Good evening to you two. Sir, can you tell me why you were in such a rush?" The man's rugged hands rested cautiously against his glass.

"Um, our friend was just in a terrible accident and we're headed down to the hospital to make sure he's alright." His tone changed from since he was talking earlier. An act that was believable.

The officer nodded respectfully. "Alright. I'm going to let you off with a warning, but don't go speeding 20 mph over the legal limit on these here highways, okay kid?"

"Okay. My bad, officer." He nodded once.

"Now y'all have a good evening. Get there safe." He walked away from the vehicle and got back in his own.

Zion watched from his side view mirror for the cop pulled off onto the highway. He sighed, putting his car back in drive with his foot on the brake. For the first time, he looked over at Amari.

She looked at him with a frightened expression, her teeth still going at her nails. Her eyes fluttered a bit as he turned.

Her hands plopped down in her lap. "Where the hell are we going?"

"You'll know when we get there."

They pulled off and rode on the highway until they reached the exit. It was only moments before Amari realized what he was fixing to do.

~*~*~*~
warning! end NEAR!

but that also signals new beginnings.