A Mistake

Conall ran his hands through this hair, cradling his head while he agonized over his introduction to "the girls", as he referred to them when they were not in hearing distance.

"I don't know what you're so upset about, Con." Gills stated from his seat by the hall's hearth, "That Lady Catriona is a beauty and feisty to go with it. You could have been stuck with that little red head mouse she calls a sister."

Conall ignored the insult dealt the younger Mackenzie as he'd not quite worked her out in his mind yet, "Aye, but I think you're just hurt because she did not laugh at any of the stories you told at the banquet."

"No use for a woman who cannot laugh! I've told you this before, brotha." The old man slowly stretched his long legs before him. Conall could see he was nursing his right knee again. The old war injury always acted up when a chill set into the bone.

Gills would never admit it, but his fighting days were well behind him. Conall felt blessed to be able to offer him a home and rest now. Even if it meant he'd have to marry a Lady he was half certain would chatter him into an early grave.

Admittedly, Lady Catriona Mackenzie was a rare beauty. He'd never set eyes on such a vision, not even when he'd been at court with The Bruce in France.

His mind wandered back to the image of her descending the stairs that evening. She'd glowed like an angel with her golden hair falling around her perfect face, with its large hopeful blue eyes and delicate features. He'd started counting his lucky stars when she'd gifted him with a sparkling smile.

Then the banquet had began and her mouth had not closed once. He was not sure how she'd managed to eat at all with the chattering she'd subjected him to. How breathtaking his castle is, he is ever so brilliant to be Laird to such a fine Clan! What a fine form he carried. This said while gently touching his arm and turning those great azure eyes on him.

He audibly groaned. "I think I'd do well with a mouse to keep in a corner till' I had need of it."

Gills gave a pained look, "You truly know nothing of women, do you? That's my fault I suppose." He crossed his arms over his massive chest, "Don't let the timid one hear you say such a thing. I believe even she would club your for it!"

Gil leaned forward to gain his young friend's undivided attention, "Having your own woman can be a wonderful luxury, Conall. And having a glorious beauty that already shows a willingness to be very... Accommodating to your needs is an even brighter gem to hold." He grunted, "No. I don't think you're appreciating your gifts at all." 

"I never wished to marry, Gills. I'm not made for it."

At Gills' snort Conall launched himself from his seat and paced the stone floor, "I need to be on my own. I barely tolerate you! How am I going to deal with a Lady who clearly wishes to have a very attentive husband?"

"Give her to me?" Gills laughed at Conall's murderous glare and threw his hands up in defense, "Mayhap ye do belong with the timid gal. Ye can sit and be dark together."

"She's hardly dark... Shut up old man! You're here to help me, not drive me mad!" Conall sat again, "You ken what I speak of. I've been at war all my life and before that the only marriage I witnessed was a battle within itself." His posture became defeated, "I do not know how to handle a Lady. What's to keep me from hurting something so delicate?"

Gills' humor fled at his friend's broken tone. He knew Conall's past had left him broken in many different ways, but the main way was the boy's inability to allow himself to give and receive love.

The man had fought him tooth and nail on it for years, even now only excepting the affection Gills had for him grudgingly. "Ye won't hurt the lass Conall, and deep down you ken it. There was never a single woman at our camps who'd come away from a tryst with ye that complained. Hell man! You were favored above the rest of us louts!"

"Those were whores! Lady Catriona is not just some...." His voice broke. "She is so much like my mother was, Gills. Soft, beautiful and lively. My mother could be very full of life when my father was not about."

"And you are not your father, Conall. Neither the one that allowed your mother to betray her husband, nor the one that beat her and you down for that betrayal... Only you can choose how you'll treat your wife. If ye wish to cause her no harm, then don't. It is that simple, brotha."

"Ihope you are right."