The Field

Something bounced off her forehead causing Isla to stir from her discontented slumber. Unwilling to open her heavy lids she ignored the small complaint and tried to drift off again. But the annoyance was persistant. Tiny invaders tapping her head and then rolling away. Afraid she was under attack by some strange creature she sat up quickly, rubbing at her face to make sure nothing lingered there.

Then she came eye to eye with the amused gray gaze of the Laird.

"Ah, good. I was beginning to wonder if a kiss was required to wake you."

Remembering a fairy tale a bard had once told of a sleeping princess, Isla wrinkled her nose. She was no princess. Pulling her knees to her chest she tried to put space between her feet and the Laird's bent knee.

Not fooled by the gesture, he grinned with amusement and stared at her with that all knowing stormy gaze of his. How long had he sat there watching her sleep? Uncomfortable with the thought she looked away and took in the beauty of the majestic mountains that left her and the Laird secluded from the keep's view.

They sat in silence for a short time before she could no longer ignore the weight of his gaze upon her. Returning his scrutiny she said nothing, hoping he might tire of the exchange and leave her there in peace.

Luck had never been a friend of her's.

"Why are you sleeping out here in an unprotected meadow when I've provided you with a perfectly safe chamber?" He patted the ground with one massive hand. "And a much softer bed."

"Solitude, milord."

Taking a leather cord from the sword he laid beside him, Conall fisted the dark hair that had been whipping around his head and tied it at the base of his neck, he then leaned on his elbow and eyed her once more with a bemused smile. "I know all about needing space." Glancing off into the distance where one tower of the castle was just barely visible, his face grew serious. "I'm not sure castle walls and I were meant to coexist."

Isla's interest was piqued, she adopted his pose and cradled her face in one tiny hand, "Do you miss being at battle very much?" The idea of Conall charging across a field wielding his sword with a fierce grace caused her stomach to tighten. Castle Lochiel was hardly her home but the idea of Conall not residing within its fine walls seemed a desolate idea.

"There are times when I see Gills struggling with his knees or watch him cover the fact that his hands are not as nimble as they once were and I am glad I am here. Then there are the times that a roof needs repairing or when nothing needs doing at all... Those are the times I miss a good battle." The most disarming smile crossed his face making him look like the young boy he must have once been. "It is difficult being trapped by walls when you grew up with an entire country.... Countries, to romp through."

"I am jealous of your travels. It must have been very exciting discovering new places." Warmed by his easy manner, as she often was, she leaned towards him in hopes he'd continue the conversation. His voice had a way of clearing the clouds that hung over her heavy heart.

"They weren't all interesting or civilized. Ireland was beautiful, much like here... But they often weren't very happy to see us. Hard to get to know a land when the inhabitants are trying to kill you." He laughed when he took notice of her puckered brow. "It wasn't as bad as all that." He smoothed the worry line away with a stroke of his calloused fingers. Heat infused Isla's cheeks and her head began to feel light like the time she'd drunk too much wine at a clan gathering.

Struggling to find her voice she managed to ask. "What of France? I've heard the women are of rare beauty and...." she blushed, "And talents."  She'd not meant to say it that way. If he hadn't been watching her so intently she would have hid her face. As it was, she forced her gaze to meet his, testing her new courage.

"They were very beautiful, yes." He flung a piece of grass away from him and watched as the breeze took it for a dance. "But they were also cunning and not fond of my kind."

"What kind? You're the most handsome man I've ever seen." Oh, now you've really done it, Isla. Next you'll be telling him how your heart flutters whenever he's near.

"Am I?" He playfully yanked on her thick crimson braid where it laid on the ground between them and pulled her face closer to his. "Then why did you throw a shoe at me when I kissed you?"

Angrily she batted at his hand and took her braid back, throwing it out of reach over her shoulders. "Because you are to be my sister's husband and I am not a whore."

"I know that Isla." All humor had fled his face. "I did not mean to offend you... I only wished to comfort you. I've not had much experience when it comes to Ladies, you must give me room to learn the proper ways." An apologetic smile broke his seriousness. "Now I know it is better to merely hold you when you cry. That did not seem to bother you as much?"

"You shouldn't be touching me at all. My comfort is no concern of yours." Even to her own ears her voice sounded petulant. Looking down she avoided his gaze and feigned interest in the folds of her skirt.

His warm hand cupped her face, forcing her meet his gaze. "I know I should not, but I cannot help myself." He placed an errant curl behind her ear as his wolfish eyes freely roamed her upturned face. "I order myself to leave you be but it is difficult to follow my own commands when you appear so lonely and sad ."

"So it is my fault you cannot honor yourself?"

Pulling her so close enough to feel the warmth of his breath upon her face, he rubbed his thumb over her lips. "No, silly mouse. You are sweet and delicate and I am the brute who cannot discipline himself in your company."

She could sense the kiss coming, part of her screamed to stop, but she could not. She wanted his lips upon her more than she'd ever wanted anything in her entire life. She'd asked for nothing, ever, but she wanted this. Closing her eyes she leaned in just as Conall moved his soft mouth to cover her's.

Where there had been hardness in their first kiss, there was now a tenderness that caused Isla's heart to skip a beat. His lips moved slowly upon her's as though he was afraid to scare her away. Even the large hand that cradled her chin held her loosely, offering an escape if she wished to take her leave. An urgent heat swept over her entire body and she arched towards Conall's warmth, trying to gratify whatever emotion it was that caused her to ache with need.

Conall's hand moved away from her face as he slid his way to her hips. An old instinct bade her to panic but when he curved his hand behind her and pulled her closer she gave way willingly. Keeping his large hand on the small of her back he deepened the kiss. Letting his tongue trespass passed her lips and sweep the inside of her mouth in a way Isla did not know could feel so sweet. An earthy groan she'd not meant to release escaped from her throat and he smiled against her mouth before taking her beneath him. His weight was pleasant and comforting in a way she had not expected. The sensation of his hips moving against hers as he nipped at her lips made her head spin and she thought she might melt like sun warmed snow beneath him.

  Caution wanted to warn her away from the pleasure of this mating but she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him heavier upon her, forcing the emotion away. She wanted to glory in the feel of this beautiful man touching her. Not because he wanted to punish her in some way, but because he wanted her. It didn't matter why he did, just that he did. She lost herself in the feel of his hands as they explored her gently through her gown and groaned with longing when he came close to cupping her heavy breast.

It was the suddenness of cold air passing over her heated skin that alerted her to his absence. Standing above her now, he had his hand on the hilt of his sword as he watched something in the distance just her. Something was dreadfully amiss. He did not seem to breathe at all while her breath came in erratic huffs. Forcing her own movement she pulled herself up to a sitting position and slowly peeked over her shoulder.

Horses.

Many manned horses sat just beyond the nearest knoll. Watching them with keen interest.

Oh God!