The Real Catriona

Isla had had just enough of being dragged around as if she were nothing more than a stubborn horse! Sliding to an uncertain stop before her chamber door she jerked her arm away from Catriona's painful grasp and rubbed the offended area. Welts had already began to form along the underside of her tender arm.

"What ails you, Cat?"

"Me?" Stomping her foot a near scream flew from her sister's throat, "What of you! What were you thinking being alone in Conall's chamber? How dare you do such a thing! Think of what everyone will think of me?" Turning with a flail of dramatic limbs Catriona stomped to her chamber.

Sure she was meant to follow, Isla slowly pursued her sister even as her own body warned her against the action. She'd survived many of Catriona's tempers but none of the tantrums she'd witnessed before resembled their father's ill mood more so than this one. She expected Cat to choke the life from her when she'd first raked her with a glacial look of contempt. She'd done nothing wrong and Cat would have to see this. Jealousy was a strange emotion to navigate and here the feeling was gravely unjustified. She only hoped Catriona was of the mind to be rational. Often the case proved otherwise.

Sighing she crossed the threshold into Catriona's room prepared for a battle.

The slap that stung her already aching cheek caught her by surprise and sent her reeling into a chair. A cut that already existed opened and trickled blood down her cheek filling the palm she placed to the area. Looking at the blood in confusion she turned to her sister, "Wh...why?".

Catriona descended upon her once more but Isla was able to react this time and raised her hands to hold her off. Cat stopped with one arm raised above her, furiously shaking, then lowered it to her side. An odd sort of calm settled over her, "Stay away from him, Issy. I will not warn you again."

Catriona glared at her with a hatred she'd never seen from her sister, but then they'd never been in competition for a man before. Competition? It was such a ridiculous thought she almost laughed in her sister's belligerent face. Surely Catriona did not believe she'd meant to manipulate her way into Conall's chamber?

There was no time to reply to such an oddly dealt threat for Conall was in the hall gently calling for them. Wishing to take leave of the tense air that hung heavily over Catriona's room, Isla made for the exit, but Cat blocked her path. "Not a word, Isla. Take the potion and then go to your room. I'll deal with Conall."

"Yes, sister."

They entered the solar side by side. The Laird's eyes narrowed when he spotted the fresh blood upon Isla's cheek, but if he found it odd he said not. Handing her the bottle of salve he bowed to both ladies, "I hope it eases your pain, Lady Isla."

"Thank you, milord. I'm sure I'll feel better on the morrow."

He stared at her with a penetrating grey gaze that reminded her of a curious wolf that had come close as she'd wandered the forest of her home some years before. Avoiding the intensity of the survey she ducked her head and mumbled a parting.

Before closing the door she caught sight of Catriona smiling brilliantly up at the Laird as his returned open grin. She hated the resentment that bubbled up in her chest but found that she could not will it away. Isla had never experienced this feeling before and she hated herself for feeling it towards her sister, even if her sister had greatly injured her on this day. Even more so, she hated that after all the years of watching her father favor Cat over her, it was now this man that was coming between their sisterly bond.

The sound of a door slamming rang throughout the keep.