No More

(TRIGGER WARNING: Some sexual abuse and physical violence against women depiction.)

"Am I forgiven, then?" She asked, her soft voice feigning indifference to cover her ire. She'd had enough of Catriona's silent treatment.

Running her fingernails along the edge of Isla's bed, Catriona smiled sweetly, "Forgiven? What do you speak of, sweet sister?

Isla shifted warily upon her perch beside the fire and slid her gaze over Catriona with concern. Cat was becoming increasingly erratic and Isla worried she no longer knew the correct words to calm her. Cat had suddenly become a sister that she did not know. "Forgiven for whatever trespass I committed to cause you to dismiss me of late."

"How dramatic of you, Isla!" She threw herself down across Isla's fluffy bed and sighed heavily as though she was taxed by such a tedious conversation. "I've been busy. Not slighting you. It is not easy learning to run such a grand keep. You are lucky that all is expected of you is to sit around. It's rather unfair."

So she'd come to pout.

Isla was unsure what was worse, being subjected to Cat's silent treatment or listening to her endless lists of petty complaints. "If it is too much sister, I would be more than pleased to help you in any way needed. Attend to the tasks you do not enjoy."

The idle kicking of Catriona's long legs over the side of the wide bed stilled. An eerie silence fell over the chamber causing Isla to squirm in her seat. The same chill of numb anxiety she experienced before one of her father's attacks filled her lungs.

She'd not given the proper reply.

Skirts flying, Cat heaved herself from her prone position and grabbed Isla by her hair. Shaking her, Cat screamed into her shocked face, "I warned you, sister! Do not try usurping my status here! It is mine! This keep is mine!"

Pushing Catriona away with all the strength she could muster while being shaken about, Isla watched as Cat went flying. She'd ask the Lord's forgiveness for the thrill it gave her watching Cat crash over the nearby chair, during mass. Calmly she walked to stand over her sister's bewildered expression. "That is enough, Cat. Enough!"

The power that raced through her body tasted better than the finest wine she'd ever sipped. Finally standing her ground, not falling to her foe's demands, eased the panic that always seemed coursing through her. She felt strong and in control for the first time. It pained her that she'd found it against her sister, but she could not regret it.

Preparing for certain retaliation, Isla braced herself as Cat struggled to her feet. Long strands of golden hair spilled from Cat's braids and hung around her face but other than that small defect in her appearance, she smiled as though nothing unusual had happened at all. Running a smoothing hand over her skirts she cleared her throat then turned on Isla. "Father was right about you, you know. You're nothing but a mother killing little wench and you deserve everything he's ever done against you. I wish he'd murdered you in the woods that night!" 

Seemingly pleased with her comment she rushed from the room. Slamming the door behind her.

Any victory Isla had felt now fled and turned her back to the cowering fool she'd always been. A rapid burn of fear and hopelessness coursing through her body caused her knees to buckle, leaving her in a pile of stunned silence on the ground.

Catriona knew everything.

Everything that had happened that night.

In the woods. Dark and deep.

Her mind unwilling to deal with the horrific memory and knowledge that the sister she'd always loved knew what their father had attempted to do to her in those woods forced her from the floor and propelled her down the stairs. Flying passed workers, training men and the surprised Laird himself. Running blindly, trying to outpace the shame that nipped at her fleeing feet. She did not know how long or how far she'd run until she fell to her warn knees in a open field well outside the protective and imprisoning walls of Castle Lochiel.

Breathing came in painful gasps as her lungslabored against the physical and emotional strain. Face turned upwards towards the sun, shelet its healing warmth wash over her. Listened to the season's silence that slidall around and focused on the feel of cool frosted grass beneath her.

She'dlocked herself in the castle for too long.

Uncertain of her new surroundings.Uncertain of everything in her life for far too long. There seemed to be no endto the torment in her short life. Unconcerned with the chill, Isla let sleep steal over her and was transported to adream world where everything was soft and filled with light.