The Wait

With two massive fellow red heads to guard her, Isla made her way to the hall for the evening banquet. Conall had been away most of the day and she'd not caught a glimpse of either him or Gills. As much as she stared out the window, they'd been nowhere in sight. Luckily, both Caleb and Cat had found themselves busy with their own dealings as well. In fact there seemed to be a firm act of avoidance taking place.

Isla was unsure if this was a good or bad omen?

Through the window she'd watched as Caleb conferenced with his men. She wished she could hear their words but they were too far away and their voices were carried away by the wind. Whatever they discussed, all involved bore serious expressions and fierce postures. This did not bode well, but she held faith that Conall would overcome any harm they conceived.

Cat seemed more than happy to bask in the attentions of her two handsome guards, obviously picked to keep her interests piqued.... And distracted. Conall knew her sister well. It amused her that Cat had not a clue that they watched her so keenly, not because her abundant charms, but because she held grave plans for their liege. Let her have her fun now, it would not last for long, and for this Isla's heart did ache. She'd come to find she did not like her sister very much but she did love her and love was not easily lost.

No matter the circumstance.

Most were already sitting among the large mahogany tables chatting and laughing about the day's more mundane events. Isla took her seat at the Laird's table and tried not worry that he and Gills were still not in attendance. Her sister sat two chairs away, idly flirting with a tall blond guard, whom rolled his eyes every so often. She, of course, took no notice. Why would anyone be less than enthralled with anything she had to say? Isla wished she'd taken Cat's vapid ways in hand long ago, as the little sister it'd never seemed her place to do so. Age was unimportant now, her sister had taken a sharp and dangerous turn down a road that would bring her to no good.

Watching her from the corner of her eye she could not believe such a beautiful and clever creature would lower herself to sleep with Caleb. What had happened to force her sister into such an odd and distasteful pairing? More so, how she not seen it? That's what bothered her the most. Cat rarely kept secrets, or at least that's what Isla had thought... That life seemed far away now.

Things would never be the same. 

Voices from the front of hall rose in greeting to the Laird and Isla quickly searched out Conall. A head above most of the men in the hall he was not hard to spot, but even without the great height he had an aura that demanded attention. It was obvious she was not the only woman to think so. Several women giggled like young misses when he greeted them absently. Isla smiled, he hadn't even noticed. He was oblivious to his own beauty and the effect it had on those around him. Her brow creased, there were probably more than a castle's worth of broken hearts scattered across Scotland and France, yearning for "The Dark Wolf".

She was just another hopeless soul.

As he approached the dais she thought he might greet her, but he studiously ignored her and sat next to her sister, greeting her warmly. Sighing, Isla took a drink of her meade and surveyed the hall. Caleb sat with his men, making merry and harassing the serving girls. Disgusting. Gills chatted up his favorite maid, he was clearly making a good impression, the woman smiled at him with true adoration.

Good for him!

The meal seemed to drag on and with no one to speak with Isla's mood became sullen. Even her guards seemed occupied, not that they'd said much. Cullen, was short but well built and wore his red hair like a fuzzy cap upon his square head. His brown eyes were flat but keen. The other, Tavish, was taller and lean, like Conall, but lacked his good looks. His face seemed to be made up of angles that went together not at all, and he never smiled.