Heat

When the door creaked and closed quietly behind Isla, she did not bother to look. It was Conall. She could feel him. It had been hours and she could not bring herself to face him, to see any state of undress that may have occurred. Heavy footsteps moved behind her but he said nothing and she stubbornly followed suit. She dared not move a muscle as she listened to the sound of her own drumming heart. The muscles at the back of her neck began to tighten and her head pounded. The strain of the evening was taking it's toll on her and she knew it was only a matter of time before she buckled.

Taking a calming breath she turned towards him and broke the silence, "I think there is more to this plot than originally thought."

I just don't know what.

He did not respond, his back still turned to her. Anger shimmered behind her eyes but she checked it by biting down on her tongue. The taste of copper filled her mouth. It took every last grasp of composure she possessed to keep from stomping her foot in irritation, instead she said, "I'm going to my own chamber. You can find your own way out of this mess!"

She made it exactly three steps before his large hand clamped around her upper arm. Turning, she slapped him. Hard. The sound bounced off the walls and struck her ears causing her to gasp. She'd never actually hit someone. In one day she'd pushed a man and slapped another. She was losing herself and she had no idea how to pull all her parts back together again. She was not this person! This angry woman who ran around yelling and hitting people.

That was Catriona.

Never her.

Watching wearily she waited for retribution. She'd gone too far this time. When he raised his hand, she did not flinch, prepared to accept her punishment. But the blow never came, instead, his fingers touched his own reddened cheek and Isla finally took notice of the surprise in his stormy eyes.

He puckered his thick brows and grimaced, "What was that for?"

Isla felt her jaw fall open but could do nothing to stop it from hanging in shock.

"Are you going to explain or do I have to beat it from you?"

"If you were going to beat me, Conall, surely you would have done so by now." She knew this for certain now. This man would never strike her, no matter how far she pushed him. It was an odd feeling knowing he would never do her harm.... Not the physical kind.

Emotionally?

That was another matter entirely.

"That does not mean you should not explain yourself. Not many have hit me and lived to speak of it." His hand still on his offended cheek, he stared her down, his eyes demanding an explanation.

"I am angry that you've been with my sister and kept me locked up here to wait and wonder.", It was mostly truth. Minus the jealousy and rage she felt coursing through her veins, "Then you return and say nothing." She stared into his eyes, now almost as dark as her own. "I am tired of being ignored, Conall."

"I cannot tell you more, Isla. I realize you have no reason to trust me, I've used you quite poorly." He ran a hand over his face and sighed, "But I have responsibilities that outweigh your feelings."

"I am not some petty child, Conall! I realize you carry a great burden, but that does not make my feelings any less important. You have a castle to lose, milord", she paused, "I'm going to lose my entire family. They're not worth much but they are my family none the less."

He stared at her for a long time, saying nothing, his dark eyes hiding whatever thoughts went on within his head. Unable to stand there and take his scrutiny any longer she turned away and walked to the window he'd occupied moments before. She felt his heat rolling over her before she'd heard one footstep, he leaned in beside her, placing one arm on each side of her so she was pinned against the window.

"I did not bed your sister."