Need

Conall let his back rest against his chamber door, head hung low.

Nothing was as it should be. Up was down. Down was up. His head was spinning and all he wanted was for it all to stop. He'd known better. Coming home, back to this cursed castle, was never going to be the homecoming he so longed for. His father would never let that be. Even from his grave he was set on torturing him.

His attention snapped back to the present when he heard footsteps approach, hand on the hilt of his sword, but it was just Gills.

"Anything amiss, brotha?"

Everything?

"Nay. Not a bloody thing." Even he could hear the seething anger in his voice.

"Bid your time, Conall. The battle will come soon enough", Gills stepped closer, concern in his blue eyes, "And The Mouse? Is she with them?"

"Nay. She is with us."

"Can ye be sure?", Gills eyed him sceptically,  "She makes your eyes go soft whenever you look upon her, Con. Can your judgement be trusted here?"

"I am sure, Gills." He was lying but he prayed with every fiber of his being that his heart was correct.

Isla was his.

A broad smile cut Gills face, causing lines to deepen around his sparkling eyes, "I am glad to hear it, brotha. Very glad in deed." He embraced Conall with a warm smile, "It's about time."

"What are you muttering on about?" Uncomfortable with the affection he pushed his old friend away. What had he said? She was on their side. The end. Nothing more to be said.

"Do not worry on it, lad. You'll figure it all out soon enough." He slapped Conall's back heartily and stepped away, "Now we have plans to make."

"When don't we?"

The night dragged on endlessly with talk of strategy and deceit, yet Conall's mind kept wandering back to the woman child sleeping in his bed. Was she warm enough? Was she scared? He had an endless list of worries and his focus was not where it should have been.

In the wee hours, Gills called it quits and ordered Conall to his room. It seemed like blessing to be set free to look in on Isla, but once he reached the door he hesitated. He'd come very close to taking her during his game earlier. It had taken every bit of self control he possessed to roll away and leave her intact. If faced with the choice again, he knew he would not stop. He wanted her, beyond reason, he wanted her.

His life had become endlessly complicated since leaving the battle for the thrown.

Opening the door slowly he entered the chamber has silently as his deep fatigue would allow. The candles had been extinguished, the fire burned low, on the verge of dying. He avoided letting his gaze wander to the large bed that dominated his chamber, instead walked to the fire to stoke it back to life. Warmth washed over him soothing his frayed nerves. The sound of stirring beneath his blankets drew his attention. Keeping his back to the bed, he awaited more signs of life.

He did not have to wait long.

"How long have you been there?" Her voice was rough with sleep and uncertainty.

"Just now, Lady Isla." He turned to look over his shoulder. She was just a tiny shadow against his bedding. "Go back to sleep. The sun has yet to rise."

"Then come to bed and take some rest. I believe the morning will bring much work."

Her soft voice drew him towards the bed, but once he'd reached its foot he haulted the quest. He knew he could not lay in that bed with her. It was obvious she'd been willing to have him but she was young and broken in the same ways he was. He could not take advantage of her the way everyone else in her life had. Shaking his head he spoke, "Nay, Isla. I will sleep on the floor before the fire. Gills guards the lower stairs and there are two guards just outside." Rubbing the back of his neck he sighed, "I had four more guards dispatched to your solar. Two at your door and two at Catriona's. It has kept her from discovering your absence."