Sound of War

Both Isla and Hamish spun around to face Conall, framed like a menacing warrior, in the stone entry.

Isla gasped at the streak of longing that ran like wildfire through her core. Would his dark beauty ever cease to excite her in such a wanton way? Drawn to him like a moth to the flame her feet carried her to stand beside him. If he noticed, it did not show, his grey eyes never left Hamish.

"I am, and have always been, your father's man, Conall. I saw what your mother's infidelity did to him, how having to look at your bastard face ripped at his sanity.", Hamish spit on the floor, "You deserve everything that they have planned for you."

"He was a little boy! Nothing more than a babe and you would condemn him for the deceitful act of another?", Isla found herself face to face with Hamish once more, her hand met his cheek with a resounding smack, "May your soul burn in hell if God wills it so! I certainly do."

Conall's large hand closed sternly over Hamish's shoulder cutting off any form of retribution he planned for Isla. She silently watched as Conall led the man to the door in a vice grip, turning to look at her only once his guards had taken Hamish away. He smiled, but it was empty and did not reach his eyes. There was only a sadness in their depths, a sadness Isla knew she could not ease for him.

"You should watch your temper, mo bhilis. It will bring you much danger.", He winked, "Fear is very often a useful emotion."

She walked to stand directly before him, letting his warmth and scent wash over her, " I know, but I would face a dragon, for you.", The admission caused her heart to stutter with true fear.

Fear of rejection.

He said nothing,  a dark mask fell over his features and there was no indication he'd even heard her declaration. Taking a deep breath she moved the conversation ahead, cataloguing this new pain with all the other little stabs she received in her life, "What are you going to do with Hamish?"

"Question him. Torture him. Execute him".

His green eyes glowed with a feral gleam that caused a fine sweat to form on Isla's neck. She knew him to be a warrior but she'd not expected such harsh words. Or actions. When would she ever really know this man? When would he let her in? Keening the answer was never,  allowed her to merely nod and move past him through the doorway. 

His hand shot out before she'd made it very far and firmly gripped her elbow, leaning close to her, his warm breath fanned across the side of her face, "Do not put yourself in danger like that again or I will have you tied and kept to my chamber."

The threat did not sound all that unpleasant to her but she knew his words were strictly authoritative and not intimate in nature.

"Mind your part in this game and leave the rest to me, Isla, or you will regret it."

He spun away from her then and disappeared as quickly as he'd appeared.

Pain and anger mixed within her and Isla felt the need to send one tiny fist into the stone wall beside her but she would likely break her arm and then what would Conall think of her? No more or less than he thought of her now for it appeared he felt and thought very little of her. He'd not said anything of their time together the night before, nor shown any sign of affection.

With a disgruntled moan she tried to take to her chamber, but was cut off by her two guards.

"I'm merely going to my chamber!"

She screamed at them in a shrill voice she barely recognized as her own. She felt as though she was watching herself from above and the crazy red headed woman ranting at two innocent men was not her. She'd been possessed. Possessed by the curse of Cameron Keep. Both the guard's eyes widened but they said not as she ran passed them. She could feel them behind her but ignored the intrusion in fear she'd pummel one of them.

She was losing her mind and she could do nothing but watch her own decline.