Rumors

Conall would have laughed if he hadn't felt so badly for the broken little figure sprawled in the dirt at his feet. He sent a warning glance to his men to cease their chuckles and with a wave of his hand sent them back to their work.

For an instant he worried that the girl had severely hurt herself, for she did not move, not even when he knelt beside her and softly said her name. He found it pleased him to say it even as he realized it should not. There was a way to address a Lady and to lapse by calling her by her given name in front of his men had been a grave mistake. 

He'd worry on that later.

"Come now, little one," Her tiny sniff brought the corners of his mouth up, "Roll yourself over and let me see what ails you."

"I'm well. You may go, milord." Her voice came muffled and choked.

Laughing he swiftly rolled her over and hoisted her tiny figure into his arms, surprised at her lightness. He'd have to take notice of her eating habits and make sure she was getting enough sustenance at their meals.

He was always so busy trying to learn the ways of Lady Catriona that he'd not paid Isla much thought. He'd have to remedy that, while Catriona would be his wife, he was still duty bound to watch over his young charge.

Another sniffle brought his attention back to the tiny bundle of weeping woman in his arms. 

"Look at me, Isla." There, he'd said her name again. That must stop at once.

A watery onyx gaze was lifted to his and tangled curls from loosened braids spilled over his bare arms. The silky texture sliding over his flesh sent a shiver down his spine.

There were a few abrasions amongst her freckles and clumps of mud stuck to her forehead, but there were no wounds that could not heal on their own.

"No real damage, mo bhilis. You'll be to ye fair self in a fortnight."

The bottomless dark of Isla's irises transformed to a an indigo and an eagerness passed across her tiny dirt covered features, "Fair?" Her voice no more than fairy's whisper. 

He'd not meant to call her fair and now he was unsure of a proper response. It was obvious the answer was very important as she never took her searching gaze from his. He'd venture to guess the lass had not been paid many compliments, overshadowed by her more ethereal sister.

Clearing his throat awkwardly he gave a slight positive nod.

A wide smile parted her lush lips and even through the dirt and mud Conall could see a glow emanating from her.

Beautiful.

Where had a thought like that come from? He was losing his mind, that's what it was. Too many new responsibilities and other distractions causing what he hoped was a temporary bout of daftness.

Moving briskly, his marching feet carried them to the entrance of the keep all the while her watchful eyes stared up at him in wonder.  He pretended to not notice. He'd have to watch himself more carefully with the young girl, less she get the wrong idea.

Perhaps he was seeing things that were not there. She had cowered from him like he was a beast no more than moments ago. Mayhap she was just relieved to not have had her bones crushed by his fists? Women were quickly becoming a lethal poison to his once sharp senses.

Standing just within the hall's entrance he lowered Isla gently to her feet, keeping his hands on her slender waist till he was sure she could stand on her own. Almost feverish warmth emanated beneath her gown and into his scarred. Clenching his hard jaw he fought off the insistent lust that coursed through his body, settling heavily in his loins.