Caught

"Stay exactly where you are, Isla. No movement." He allowed his ice gaze to fall on her briefly. "Not one limb."

Numbly she nodded her head in agreement. It was not a hard order to abide by. Even if she wished to move or flee, her body would not work in her favor. Already her chest pounded with debilitating fear and her arms and legs shook. She'd felt this before.

Do not faint, you stupid girl! 

Keeping her gaze on the statue above her, she concentrated on the way his strong hand curved around the hilt of his sword. He did not grip it so his knuckles turned white, but held it gently as though nothing were amiss. Only his eyes gave away the tension pulsing beneath calm veneer.

Silence surrounded them and Isla was tempted to glance over her shoulder but the prickles that ran along her spine told her she'd only come eye to eye with the intruders. Better to keep her focus on Conall and await his next order. A feeling of guilt, a sensation she was quite used to, stole over her. If she'd not run out here like a child they would not be stranded in an open field without the comforting number of the Laird's men.

Conall showed like the fiercest warrior to ever exist, towering above her. Sleek muscles prepared for a fight, but he'd still be no match for the twenty sum highlanders menacingly watching them. Why had they not said something yet? Yell, scream, something to give an indication of their intent.

"Do you not intend to ask what they come for?" She whispered, careful not to move more than her swollen lips.

Without looking down he answered, "They're on my land. Let them be the first to submit."

"Submit?" He was insane, "We are but two people in an unprotected field. Surely if there will be any submitting, it will be on our side."

A dark laugh escaped him, "Would not be the first time I found myself in such a fight." Now he did spare her a glance. "But never with a woman at my feet."

As though the fact had just been revealed to him, he stepped back from his defensive position, sighed and cupped his hands around his mouth, "Who goes there?"

"The Mackenzie!"

Spinning, Isla locked eyes with a bulky man at the forefront of the trespassing entourage. Recognition caused her eye to twitch. Caleb Mackenzie, her vile cousin. Groaning she glanced up at Conall, "He's my cousin, Caleb. He does my father's business. No doubt he's come to hear of your marriage to Catriona."

"Marvelous."

Her sentiments, exactly. She ignored the chance to commiserate and stood, brushing dried grass from her wrinkled gown. At least the dowdy brown of her gown hid any stains their lovemaking had caused. What exactly had her cousin witnessed? Flashes of possible explanations spun their way through her mind. Perhaps she could claim she'd fainted, she'd come very close to just that, and the great Laird had merely been reviving her. From afar the situation could very well appear like the other. Her cousin was not too terribly bright to begin with.

She prayed that for this once fortune was on her side.

Trailing after Conall, she made her way to her father's men. The slower she walked the longer it would take to come face to face with reminders of her home. Already, she could feel the icy lewd stare of her cousin roving over her. Assessing every move she made. He was not at the Mackenzie keep often, but when he was he had a way of making her aware of every breath and move she made. He was a man of few words but swift judgment. This did not bode well.

"Welcome," Nonchalantly peering about, Conall asked. "Is there a reason you thought to come around the back of the keep and not head on?" His voice seemed neutral but Isla could sense the steel beneath.

"We became lost and just found our way." Caleb offered, his gaze never leaving Isla's face. "It seems you're lost a wee bit too, milord. That be my little red headed cousin you're tumbling' in the field and not your betrothed."

"She fell. I was merely helping her up." His voice was hard and his chilled gaze dared Caleb to challenge the obvious fabrication.

A knowing smile spread across Caleb's face, causing gnarly scars to pucker into odd angles around his broad mouth. "Of course, milord. Lady Isla is well known to us."

"Good. Then let us to the Lochiel where you can be greeted properly." Conall swept his hand in the direction of the keep, indicating the party should precede them. "The Lady and I shall follow."

"We'd be happy to carry you both."

 "Not necessary, friend. We'll follow."

With a quick nod of his head Caleb turned his horse and galloped with his men away, leaving Isla to stand awkwardly next to Conall, whom never took his eyes from the departing men.

"Will he be a problem?"

" I do not know if he'll be a problem, but he is certainly not a blessing."

She began to walk, wishing to avoid Conall's attention. Trouble was brewing and her best course of action was to make herself as small as possible. She was good at hiding and that was exactly what she'd be doing until Caleb and his tattered men went their own way.

If he wished to carry her off to her father he'd have to do so with her kicking and screaming.

"We should speak of what just took place." His words halted her steps and she waited for him to continue. "Will he speak of this to your sister?"

If the news did reach Catriona's ears, they'd all be in trouble. Her sister's wrath was no longer a secret to her and she did not wish to taste more of it.

Without looking back she responded, "I'll do my best to make sure this mistake does not hurt your chances with my dear sister."

Finding again that running was her only option, she took off. She did not miss the fact that he did nothing to halt her.