Chapter 10

12 years ago

Yuta's pov:

"Hi," I say to the other kids, nervous since it's my first day at a Korean school. They all stop coloring and glance up at me. "Hi," they say back.

I smile, feeling accomplished because I pronounced it correctly. "My name is Yuta. It's nice to meet you." They have confused expressions and this worries me.

"What? Did you say your name is Yuta?" One speaks up. I nod in response, hesitating to speak because my accent might show.

"That's a weird name," says another.

"Yeah, why would your parents name you that?"

Their words hurt my feelings and I'm unsure if I should continue with the conversation, but I do anyways. "I'm from Japan, it's a popular name there."

"No way! You're from Japan? That explains why you talk so funny!" There is an eruption of laughter and I feel tears prick my eyes. I turn away and run to the bathroom as they all mock my pronunciation.

This continued for a few weeks at my new school. Everyday I would come home crying, seeking comfort from my parents. This, however was difficult because my mother was always busy watching Hansuke and my father would scold me for being "weak."

Then I met him.

I remember the day like it was yesterday. Everyone thought I was weird and refused to play with me, so I was alone playing in the sandbox, building a castle that I was quite proud of. Then some kid came over and stepped on it. I look up and I shout "Hey!" but then stop. The kids who made fun of my name were laughing as the biggest one was still pounding my castle into the ground.

"It was ugly anyway. I did you a favor." He smirks. I feel tears slowly pool around my eyes, but recall my father always telling me "men don't cry," so I refuse to let them fall. Just then, there is a shout that comes from behind me and we all turn to see who interrupts.

"Hey! That was mean!" The big kids makes a face before responding, "Why do you care?"

"Leave him alone before I tell the teacher." The new face has a triumphant smirk and steps closer before crouching down next to me.

"Here let me help you rebuild it." With that he grabs the bucket I was using and starts filling it with sand.

"Stop helping him. Don't you know who he is? He's the weird kid from Japan! He can't even speak Korean!"

"So? Don't mess with him anymore or you'll have to go through me." He stands and pushes the bigger kid away with a glare.

The bully has a frown but decides to back off. I look a the one who defended me with amazement in my eyes. "Th-thank you," I say, struggling slightly.

"No problem. My name is Hansol, what's your name?" He once again crouched down to my level and plops next to me on the sand.

"My name is Yuta." He looks surprised with my response, and I grow anxious.

"Wow, that's such a cool name! I've never heard that name before." A sudden feeling of relief washes over me as he says this.

"Thanks, it's Japanese. You wanna make a sand castle together?"

"Yeah! Let's make a two-story one!"

"Okay!" It was at this moment that I realized I would no longer be lonely in school, because now I have Hansol, my new friend.