Mono - Learning Feelings

You are just a guy who is doing freelance work. What kind of work? Fixing computers. Either as simple as restoring System32 or cleaning the fan from a obnoxious chewed bubble gum, in the end, you get your job done. Of course after working freelance for so long, you feel a bit lonely. Why? Mostly because you live alone in your apartment with no roommate whatsoever. But today might be a day where you're not being lonely anymore.

On a sunny morning, you got an email detailing a request of fixing a computer. The email is a typical request, but some of the details implies that you might not fixing a computer after all.

"Rewiring Emotion Cables? Fixing AI? What is this, some sort of a real android?" You then see a note that tells you that it's coming to your apartment on this afternoon, so you close the email and do your morning routine.

Once the clock hits 12, a doorbell is heard. You wear your usual work outfit and goes to the door and opens it, and sees the mailman with a large box on the back.

"Package for Mr. (L/n)?"

"That's me." You replied. The mailman then lends the proof sheet.

"Sign here, please." You signed the sheet and the mailman tips the hat before leaving. You look at the large bar-shaped box and shrugs before carefully moving it in. After laying it on the floor, you cut the tapes, opens the box, and sees what's inside.

 After laying it on the floor, you cut the tapes, opens the box, and sees what's inside

(Imagine her sleeping instead.)

"It IS an android!" You yelled, and looks for any kind of instructions and found a piece of paper. You read the paper that says,

"Please fix this android. We'll promise to pay you handsomely if you do. P... But why would they ask me to fix this? I'm a computer fixer, not a robotic engineer!" You glanced at the android, and noticed that from the outside, the android looks perfectly fine. Of course you have to do some testing, and with a heavy sigh, you begin to diagnose and eventually, fix the android.

3 days later,

You've done it. It was gruesome but you've fixed the android. There are so many things to fix from the inside, with the notable one being the cooler being dried off, but regardless of many issues, your fixing skills have proven successful. You look for something to turn it on, and found a very tiny button hidden on the back. With anticipation, you press the button and quickly run away to watch its activation.

. . .

Nothing. Nothing happened. You scratch your head, confused of how did it not work. But suddenly, its right hand moved. You watch as its right hand moves around before landing on its chest, and then the android slowly gets up and opens its eyes for the first time. It look at you and keeps doing so, while you are still unsure of what to do next. You decided to introduce yourself.

"H-hi. Name's (Y/n), and I'm the one who fixed you." The android did not respond, and keeps staring at you. You sigh, and leans to the wall behind you. "Oh what's the point? I have to send it back anywa-"

"(Y/n). (Y/n) (L/n), correct?" Surprisingly, the android spoke, and you slowly nod as you never told your last name before. "I happen to know your last name thanks to my creator being friends with your father, (F/n) (L/n)."

"Wait, you know my dad?!" You yelled, realizing that your dad, that was never even contacted you for years, is related to the android.

"He's the one who implemented the AI that I am using now. However, he left before I was activated for initial testing." the android said, which give you a bummer.

"Man, I thought he's going to buy milk from where the heck he is, but here he is adding an AI to an android..." You mumbled, "But enough about that. I have to send you back, since I fixed you-"

"That would be impossible." The android stopped, "My original address has been deleted from my database, and as such the address that is on a piece of paper is not an actual address." You look at the paper and realizes that the address is actually some made-up street name.

"Then what should I do? I don't want my 3 day's worth of work being unpaid."

"Seeing that you are disappointed of not getting your pay, the least I can do is to help you in any situation you need." the android lowers itself and bows, which you quickly deny.

"No need for that! I can do everything by myself just fine!"

"But your air conditioner says otherwise" She said, pointing at a leaking air conditioner. "And so does your bed, wardrobe, floor-"

"Okay, okay! Fine! Just... try not to interrupt my work."

"Understood, master."

"And don't call me that!" And so, your days with the new android has just begun. During your days together, you gave her a name "Mono", and she doesn't mind of that name, since even herself doesn't have her original name before, and since then she begin to help you in any way she can.

Days turn into weeks, and then into months, and by the sixth month, you and Mono are practically close together, almost like couples. But even so, Mono has learned many things, and one of them is feelings. On one day, you noticed that Mono is staring at the window, with her face telling you that she's feeling sad.

"Mono? Are you sad or something?" You asked her,

"You are correct. I never learn more about my origins, and my creator just left me in a broken mess." She said, and then she faces you, "For once, I'm feeling angry, for both at my creator, and myself, for being useless to them."

"Hey, you're not useless... to me at least. Sure your creator dumped you, but they might have a good reason." You then sit next to her, "Maybe, he wants me to fix you because he knows that I'm a master of fixing electronics, and probably wants me to keep you as a gift from my dad."

"A gift?"

"Kinda. I never know what he's thinking, but that's a good conclusion I can think of." You then feel her hand patting your shoulder.

"If that's your logical conclusion..." She then closes her eyes, "Then I'm happy. Happy to meet my new companion." And for the first time after 6 months, she smiles, which admittedly cute in your opinion.

"Honestly, same. I've been alone for so long that I almost start to lose myself. Glad that you're here, Mono." You smiled back, and she begin to do something unexpected,

She kissed your cheek.

As she reeled back from kissing your cheek, you blushed hard and puts your hand on the cheek.

"W-where did you learn that?" You asked, while still being embarrassed,

"I happen to see a scene where a couple kissed their cheeks as a sign of affection. I hope that my message is understandable to you." She said, and winks. Your embarrassment increased tenfold, and you quickly run to the bathroom while covering your face in embarrassment. Mono meanwhile still smiles and goes doing whatever she's doing.

And thus, even if she's an android, you treated her like a human girl, and as such you keep on supporting her as she's supporting you as well. She may be an android, but for you, she might be a girlfriend that you never knew you get.

(Originally, this would be a Rita Rossweisse one-shot, but decided to write this instead. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed, and Peace Out.)