CHAPTER 9 - The Law

It was Monday morning and all the students sat in the great hall feasting cheerfully. The sixth and seventh years, however, were slightly tense as they knew that today was the big reveal.

The ministry had not arrived yet, so they assumed that it would be after school. Hermione thought that it was a brilliant plan as it gave her chance to focus on her school work and not on the law.

All the Gryffindor friends had Transfiguration after breakfast. During their last lesson, they were given the task to transform a student into a bunny. It was quite hilarious as some students produced very odd results.

Ron, undoubtedly, was one of these students. He had never been the best at Transfiguration. He was given the task of casting the spell on Ginny, who was absolutely livid when she was forced to spend the rest of the day with bunny ears, a tail and rather large front teeth. It was cute.

Draco, however, couldn't help but make the snide comment of the look reminding him of Hermione's early years. What a git.

Today in Transfiguration, much to Harry and Ron's dismay, they were given a surprise test to write. McGonagall always used to do this at the worst of times. Hermione and Ginny were luckily prepared and finished in no time, while the wandering eyes of some students seemed to be so obvious that it looked like they weren't even bothering to hide it.

McGonagall took in the tests and charmed a quill to mark them while the class murmured quietly. Pansy's hand shot up and she looked to the teacher with pleading eyes.

"Yes, Miss Parkinson?" Professor McGonagall called, not looking up at her. She was busy reading through some sort of old textbook.

"Professor... What do you think the law is about?" She asked sweetly.

The book dropped from McGonagall's grip and Hermione and Draco could have sworn they saw their friends stiffen. "Miss Parkinson...I-I c-can not discuss t-this w-with you..." she said with a broken voice laced with shock and the fear of further questioning.

"But, surely you know what it is? Why are all the professors so tense about it?" the pug-faced Slytherin pressed, determined to get her answer.

"I cannot," she said sternly, "I ask you to please keep an open mind to this when they tell you, though." The wise woman finished just as the second period began. "No homework today."

"Bloody Hell! McGonagall sure doesn't like the mention of the law... She seems scared or angry or something." Ron exclaimed as they left the class.

Ginny hadn't said a word since the first question from Pansy, making Hermione suspicious. "Gin, are you okay? You look a bit...pale." Hermione said with scrutinizing eyes.

Ginny quickly muttered an 'I'm fine'.

"I just have a bad feeling about this." She answered, not lying. She did have a bad feeling.

Hermione nodded and parted from the group heading to her next class.

***

The great hall was filling with sixth- and seventh-year student as they awaited the arrival of the minister of magic. It was tense...

"It's probably nothing, right?" Harry said with a hopeful tone. Hermione had always admired his optimism in the darkest moments, but he wasn't fooling her anymore. He was scared.

Dumbledore cleared his throat, quieting the students down. "Settle down, now. The minister should be here any sec–" The pop of the minister's arrival interrupted Dumbledore. "Very well then, never mind." He smiled stiffly and let the minister talk.

"Students of Hogwarts. Welcome back, I am pleased to see you all. Last year ended in a dreadful way and, unfortunately, certain measurements are to be taken to mend the damage done. Voldemort is dead, but our world is still in danger," the students groaned, used to being in danger by now.

It was nothing new to them.

"The danger, however, is not stoppable by ways of magic, but only by the unity and cooperation of the wizards and witches of the world. I am sure Dumbledore has told you about the new law that is to be put in place. That is why I am her today, to elaborate on what it entails." he paused.

The students were on the edge of their seats as they awaited further explanations to the law.

"The law requires something from all witches and wizards between the ages of 17 and 30. Now before I tell you what that is, I need you to open your minds a bit and consider why it is happening. After the battle, many, many lives were lost. The wizarding population has decreased considerably, and I regret to say that if something is not done to stop it, our magic will die out." The students started whispering amongst each other. They were speculating in which direction the conversation will go.

Confusion was still evident in the minds of the young students.

"The ministry and I have come to an agreement that there is only one solution to this problem. Unfortunately, I am sure that many of you will not sit well to hearing it, but I ask you to please broaden your minds and think of how it would be of great help to the future of our kind." Hermione frowned as she noticed the continuous use of the phrase "open your minds", it was unsettling.

Ginny looked at Hermione with a painful expression.

Before the minister could continue, he was pulled backwards by Dumbledore. They were talking in a serious matter, Dumbledore looking worried and the minister mixed in understanding and anger. Dumbledore finally let go and allowed the minister to continue.

"Harry, what the hell is this..." Neville said warily from beside Harry. He wore the same look most students did; fear and anticipation.

"I don't know but it certainly isn't good" Harry answered quickly, looking at the minister who was taking deep breaths as if preparing himself for battle.

The students were still softly speaking when he spoke up once more. "The law states that all witches and wizards between the ages of 17 and 30 are to be married by April next year." The hall fell deadly silent, not a breath could be heard from a single person - students and professors alike.

"The marriages are to be arranged and failure to comply will result in the confiscation of all magic and the wiping of all memories concerning anything related to magic." Hermione felt her blood drain and a cold shiver consumed her.

Then all Hell broke loose.

________________________________________________________________

A/N

Hey guys !! Thanks for reading :)

Please vote if you liked this chapter **

Edited: 25/07/2020