CHAPTER 28 - The Picnic

"One month. That's it. If this doesn't work then we need to figure something else out." Hermione said, getting straight to the point. She didn't want to spend any more time than necessary with the blonde ferret, living with him and having to marry him was plenty enough.

"Agreed. How are we going to do this? It can't be forced, otherwise it won't work. We can't fake it either." Draco grunted. There was no easy way out of this and they both new it, this was the easiest of the hardest.

"I'm well aware of that," Hermione glared as she spoke, "I suppose something like time alone, as horrid as it sounds, could work?" Hermione furrowed her eyebrows as she thought about it some more.

"Like a date?" Hermione quickly shook her head at his assumption.

"No. Merlin, no. Like a "hang out" or something, don't call it a date." She corrected him and his tense face relaxed a bit.

"OK, like what?" He pushed some more. Hermione glared at him.

"I know what you're doing, Malfoy. I'm not stupid. You decide on something for a change." She snapped at him with narrowed eyes. He was tricking her into doing all the work and it wasn't working. Draco rolled his eyes and rested his head on his hand, rubbing his chin as he thought about it deeply.

"What about a picnic like they did in the movie?" Hermione couldn't believe her ears.

"Did you just suggest we have a bloody picnic, Malfoy?" He shrugged and skimmed through another book.

"Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant idea, but do you know how cliché and couple-like that is? You might as well have asked me on a date!" She spoke with surprise. He shrugged and looked her dead in the eye.

"Well, Granger, if it is such a, and I quote "brilliant" idea, then let's do it. Just don't call it a date." He smirked.

"When?" Hermione asked. Draco thought about it for a moment.

"During dinner, I'll ask McGonagall."

***

Draco spread the blanket out evenly across the grass and placed the food on it. He had gotten permission from McGonagall, who decided they have it at the lake. Hermione was standing at the water, watching the sun set over the horizon. A warm hand touched her shoulder and she turned around to face Draco.

"Let's eat." He said and they sat down on the blanket. There were small sandwiches and lots of chocolate treats. The glasses held pumpkin juice and there was a small candle in the middle of the picnic setting. It would have been the perfect date if they weren't enemies.

Hermione looked impressed.

"I must say, you sure know how to set up a perfect picnic. Small snacks, chocolate treats, my favourite drink and a candle to set the mood. I'm impressed." She complimented.

"I do aim to please." Draco winked and offered her a small smile. They reached for a small sandwich but accidentally reached for the same one, bumping hands as they tried to take it. Hermione started giggling and let him have it. Draco watched her laugh and felt his heart warm.

It was cute.

Her laughter died down and they sat in silence for a while, eating their food.

"You know, I never once imagined having a surprisingly romantic and enjoyable picnic with you. It doesn't feel real." Hermione spoke and a crumb fell on her bottom lip.

Draco reached out and wiped it away with his thumb. He let his finger linger there for a while before he cleared his throat and pulled away. Hermione was as red as the tomato in her sandwich.

"Yeah, it does feel a bit strange, but in all honesty, I'm actually enjoying this." Hermione smiled and looked at her hands, her heart fluttering at his words.

"Come here, I want to show you something." Draco stood up and offered her his hand which she took gratefully. He led her to the lake and grabbed a flat stone. Hermione watched as he flicked it and made it bounce over the surface of the water.

Ron had shown her how to do this but she never could get it quite right. Draco handed her a stone and stood back for her to toss it. Hermione gave it her best shot but watched as it made a small splash and sunk immediately.

She sighed and turned to Draco. "I'm terrible at this."

"No, you just need some practice. Come here." He motioned her over and bent down to pick up another stone. "It's all about how you throw it. Watch." Hermione watched as he flicked it perfectly and it hopped on the water. "Now you try."

She took the stone from his hand and copied his moves. The stone hopped twice before sinking.

"Let's try something else." Draco reached for another rock and moved closer to Hermione.

He reached for her hand, slowly as if she was going to run away, and placed it in her palm while still holding her hand. He moved to stand behind her and took hold of her waist. Hermione gasped at the sparks, her heart was racing at his simple touch.

"OK. Now, lean a but backwards." Hermione leaned backwards, her back touching his hard chest, "Good. Loosen up your arms, your very stiff. Now bring your arm down like this," he moved her arm into position, "and move it backwards before flicking the stone." He demonstrated how to do it by gently pulling her arm back and quickly moving it forward to throw the stone.

They watched it hop in perfect rhythm and a wide smile spread over Hermione's face.

"I did it! Actually, you did it, but still." Draco smiled at her excitement. They noticed their position and quickly moved apart, both their hearts racing and their cheeks burning.

"See, told you all you needed was practice." They stood smiling like idiots for a while before packing away the picnic stuff and walking back to the castle. They spoke about random things all the way to the portrait.

"Hey Mione. Malfoy. Is that a picnic basket I see? Do my eyes deceive me!" Fred gasped in fake shock. Hermione laughed and Draco couldn't help but let out a small chuckle.

"Yes, it is." Draco smiled as he confirmed it. Fred's eyes practically popped out of his head.

"Did Draco Malfoy just smile? What alternate universe was I painted in? Merlin! Save me!" Fred jokingly passed out but let the two in anyway.

"He's a piece of work." Draco commented.

"That he is." Hermione laughed as they entered their room. "I had fun tonight. Thank you." She confessed meekly.

Draco stopped what he was doing and turned to her. A genuine smile formed over his lips.

"Me too." He whispered.

________________________________________________________________

A/N

Hey guys!! Thanks for reading :)

Please vote if you liked this chapter **