CHAPTER 32 - The Ball Part 1

A/N 

Warning : Dramione feels

"Come along, now. This way." The students were escorted by an old, grumpy looking man with a thick British accent to the grand ballroom. Their excited whispers danced in the air as they neared the ball.

Draco, who stood shoulder to shoulder beside Hermione, heard her sharp intake of breath and quickly reached between them and grasped her hand, intertwining his long fingers with hers. He gave her small hand a reassuring squeeze and watched as two ministry guards opened the great wooden door.

Hermione gasped as they walked into the ballroom. She'd never been in a place that made her feel so small or so plain. Crystal chandeliers spiralled down from the enchanted ceiling, illuminating the glimmering golden walls and a floor so polished it looked like an iced-over lake.

The vast room was warm and welcoming compared to the chilly breeze from outside the building. Round tables covered in white satin were lined up along the sides of the hall, each with a bouquet of white and yellow roses standing proudly in the middle.

An ensemble of violinists, harp players and pianists were placed in the far end of the hall playing their instruments with astounding talent. Their sweet melodies drifted through the air as couples danced with passion.

"Dance with me?" Draco whispered into her ear as he brought the hand he was holding to his lips and kissed it gently. Hermione's breath hitched in her throat. She nodded, unable to think properly, and let him lead her onto the busy dance floor.

She placed her free hand on his shoulder and couldn't help herself from noticing how firm and strong it was. He wrapped his arm around her small waist and pulled her impossibly close.

"I can't get over how beautiful you look tonight." His voice was soft and held raw emotion.

Draco's grey eyes never left hers as their feet moved elegantly with the music. He expertly guided Hemione through one complex dance pattern to another, perfectly matched to the rhythm of the music playing in the background. He danced like he'd been doing it his whole life; flawless.

"So, Malfoy, this plan of ours...how are we going to do it." There was a mischievous glint in Hermione's eyes. Draco smirked and leaned down until she could feel his hot, minty breath on her cheek.

Spearmint.

His arm around her waist tightens and closes the gap between their bodies. Hermione gasps, her heart beating erratically. The feeling of his body flush against hers was electrifying, he had consumed her thoughts with such a simple gesture. The proximity of the two was overwhelming, suddenly the room was hot.

Too hot.

"Oh Granger," He whispered, the same mischievous spark was now flashing in his grey eyes, "we are doing it." He winked and twirled her out of his hold and then pulled her back so that he was now embracing her. They danced to the slow rhythm of the music as Draco glided around the floor with ease.

They stopped mid-dance when the minister tinkled a champagne glass to gain everyone's attention; The sound of the spoon tinkling against the glass again brought a hush to conversations. Everyone cleared the dance floor and sat in their assigned seats – yes, the ministry wouldn't even allow them to choose their own seats – and looked to the minister.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, students of Hogwarts. We have gathered her on this fine night to celebrate the unity of our kind. Not only will we save our magic society, but we'd create a unified future while doing so. Let us raise a glass to the start of a new way of life." The crowd raised their glasses and drank a toast.

The Hogwarts students, however, sat still in their chairs while glaring at the minister. Not a single student raised their glass.

"Bloody minister has these mindless fools brainwashed!" Ron snapped harshly but not loud enough for anyone outside his table to hear.

"I agree with you, mate. He's a pathetic excuse for a minister." Seamus added a little too loudly causing a few giggles and scoffs from the student tables around them. Fortunately, the minister took no notice and returned to his seat.

The orchestra resumed their melodies and the dance floor was alive once more. Cheerful buzzing invaded the silence of the grand ballroom and all life returned. Harry and Ginny were already on the dance floor and Blaise and Luna didn't seem far behind. Everyone looked so happy for a change.

Draco offered Hermione his hand once more and led them to the dance floor, holding her waist and hand as she grasped his shoulder.

"You know, Granger, despite the circumstances of the matter, I am quite enjoying myself tonight." Hermione smiled at the boy holding her close.

"It is rather pleasant, isn't it?" Hermione giggled and let him take the lead. He turned elegantly, his body in tune with the slow music.

"You're a really good dancer." Hermione's voice was meek and timid, almost embarrassed at her words. Draco noticed her shyness and chuckled lightly, send vibrations through her body.

"Why thank you, Miss Granger." He sounded pleased. He spun her small body out and away and then reeled her back in. She fell back into him, startled by his sudden unexpected movement. His strong arms were wrapped securely around her as she leaned into him with her back against his chest.

Draco spun her out once more and then pulled her back into their original dance position.

"Bloody hell, Malfoy. A warning would have been nice." She said through ragged and short breaths. He laughed and looked down at her.

"Where's the fun in that?" He winked as he towered over her.

Draco guided her across the floor as if they were in a dream. His eyes stayed fixed on her, yet still, he knew exactly where to take her. Every movement, every angle seemed to be planned in advance, nothing felt forced.

"Draco," Hermione whispered, "everyone is looking at us."

He squeezed her hand slightly and smiled. "Really," he chuckled softly, "I hadn't noticed."

With that, she knew. He need not say more. Her heart, her whole being was now his and his alone.

________________________________________________________________

A/N

Hey guys !! Thanks for reading :)

Please vote if you liked this chapter **