CHAPTER 35 - Unwanted Company

The familiar earthy smell greeted them as they entered the greenhouse. Professor Sprout was watering her mandrakes so she didn't bother to calm the noisy students who were smearing dirt over one another. The warm and welcoming feel lingering in the air reminded Ron of his early Hogwarts years.

Hermione noticed the three boys walk into the greenhouse and waved to catch their attention. Dean nudged them and they walked to the rest of their Gryffindor friends.

"Morning Students, today we will be studying the anatomy of –"

Before the plump professor could finish her sentence, she was interrupted by a knock on the greenhouse window followed by Draco Malfoy. He whispered something to the professor and she nodded curtly before raising her head and glancing at Hermione.

"Professor Dumbledore wishes to see you, Miss Granger." Hermione nodded and left the class with Draco. Once Draco was sure the greenhouse was out of sight, he gripped Hermione's wrist and pulled her behind a large bush. She was about to yell out but he quickly muffled her scream by placing his hand over her mouth.

"What the hell, Malfoy! What are you doing?" She asked furiously once he had removed his hand that was covering her mouth. Hermione was trapped between a web of branches and Draco. He placed his finger over her lips, silently telling her to stay quiet, and nodded towards two men having a heated conversation.

Hermione watched them carefully but couldn't make out what they were saying.

"I can't hear them." She whispered loud enough that only Draco could hear her.

"Close your eyes." He said gently.

"Wha–"

"Just do it, Granger." Hermione eyed him suspiciously but closed them anyway.

"OK. What now?" She said with an irritated tone.

"Now you listen. Try to focus on them, picture them in your mind." Draco instructed.

Hermione sighed heavily and focused on the two men. One was slightly older than the other but both were wearing fine suits and visibly well built. She concentrated on the way their lips moved and after a while she began hearing feint whispers in her mind. Hermione gasped sharply but held her concentration.

The voices began growing louder and louder until they were clear and Hermione could hear exactly what they were saying.

"What are we going to do about this? We can't just sit back and watch them destroy our plan! She will be furious!" The older man said sternly but the other man held a blank face.

"I am well aware of that, Cole, but we can't risk exposing ourselves. We'll have to come up with another plan. The prophecy has to be stopped and the pair must be killed." He said curtly, glaring at the older man furiously.

Hermione gasped and looked at Draco with bulging eyes.

"What was that? Who are those men? Do they work for the ministry?" She asked in complete shock.

"Granger. If I knew I wouldn't have pulled you out of class. I reckon they are working for the ministry but I've never seen them before." He muttered while still looking at the two men who were now walking towards the opening of the forbidden forest.

"Well, they clearly want us dead." Hermione breathed out.

"You don't say?" Draco deadpanned and turned his head to Hermione. He raised his hand and removed something from her hair. She unwillingly flushed and prayed to whoever was listening that he hadn't noticed the red streak painted over her cheeks, but judging by the smirk forming upon his lips, the odds weren't in her favour. He showed her the leaf, flicked to the side and moved away from her.