CHAPTER 38 - New Threats and Old Enemies

"She's here."

Ron's words echoed in Hermione's mind. She thought back to the strange voice she had heard back in the hallways earlier that day. Could it be possible that someone had tried to warn her ... or was it Ron all along. The thought of her best friend having to kill her made her nauseous and sick.

Her heart pounded and her hands shook as a cold sweat broke out across her forehead. "W-What did y-you say?" she stuttered with wide and bewildered eyes. Ron was still staring at her like a stranger. This wasn't her Ron, no, this was someone else possessing Ron. She refused to believe that he was capable of killing her or anyone for that matter. She simply wouldn't hear anything of the sort.

"She is here." He repeated monotonously, his knuckles turning white as he gripped the knife he held tighter. Ginny and Harry watched the interaction with dry mouths. They didn't know what was going on or what to say about it.

Hermione glanced at the knife apprehensively and gulped when she noticed the muscle in his lower arm tensing. No. He wouldn't. Would he?

Suddenly Ron yanked the knife out of the table with strength he never knew he had and threw it in Hermione's direction. Hermione raised her arm and shielded her face at the as she saw the knife flying in her direction. He threw it.

She waited for the impact but it never came. The familiar smell of apples surrounded her and she slowly opened her eyes and blinked. In front of her, was the sharp end of the knife, only millimetres away from the bridge of her nose.

Hermione let out a shaky breath and looked up at Draco, who was holding the end of the knife. He had stopped it in the nick of time, preventing what may have been an excruciatingly painful death. Draco set the knife on the table and quickly pulled Hermione into a bone crushing embrace, letting out his own sigh of relief.

"Thank you." She whimpered softly, letting a single tear escape her watery eyes. Draco rubbed her back in a comforting manner and turned his attention to Ron. Ron looked equally startled and stared at his hands with shock and fear.

"WHAT THE BLOODY HELL WEASLEY!" Draco exclaimed. The windows shook at the sound of his furious voice. Ron looked at Hermione and the at Draco, before letting his eyes fall onto the startled students around them. Nobody breathed a word. Not even Harry or his sister.

"I-I ... I d-don't know w-what h-h-happened." He stuttered out with eyes the size of saucers and his jaw quivering in the silence. He looked lost and completely unaware of his surroundings. His eyes fell upon Hermione. The pain in them was visible, not only because of the tears streaming down his cheeks but also because of the heart break he displayed in them.

"H-Hermione...I-I'm so, so sorry," He started, "I honestly didn't k-know what I w-was doing." His words can out as hiccups. Hermione turned further into Draco's tight embrace, but deep down she knew that Ron was really not himself.

"Ron. I think it's best if you leave. Now." Harry let out with a pained expression. He was torn between comforting Ron and yelling at him. Never in his wildest dreams did he ever imagine Ron capable of trying to hurt Hermione. Not once.

Ron nodded shamefully and left the dining hall, the stares of each and every student burning into the back of his head. The doors shut behind him and the sound of a chair being pushed back echoed through the room. The student watched as the new professor, Miss Luther, left with a less than pleased scowl on her face. Once she was gone, all heads snapped back to the terrified girl in the arms of Draco Malfoy.

"Mione, are you okay?" Ginny asked with raw emotion. Hermione sniffled and gave a barely-there nod. Ginny grabbed her hand and held it tightly, gently caressing it with her thumb in a reassuring way. "I'm sorry, Mione. I didn't know he was capable of doing that."

Hermione's eyes started drooping and soon her eyes fell shut. She was worn out and in shock.

"I think you should take her to the infirmary, Draco. She's in shock." Harry looked at Draco with worry evident in his green eyes. Nobody seemed to notice that Harry had used his first name. It was clear that he was to inter-twined with his thoughts to care about statuses at the given time.

Draco nodded and hooked his arm under Hermione's knees, carrying her in bridal style. She hooked her arms around his neck and rested her head upon his firm, warm chest. His smell was a source of reassurance to her. He was the only thing keeping her feet on the ground. He was her gravity.

Together, they walked down the line of tables and out of the Dining Hall to the infirmary.

***

"What was that?" Victoria yelled as she slammed her hands onto the desk before her. "I thought I told you to kill the girl. What is so difficult about that?" Her breaths came out quickly as her eyes glowed a fierce silver.

She turned around and stood with her back towards the quaking man, his entire body shivering with undeniable fear. The man wore ragged clothing and had small, uneven patches of dirty blonde hair upon his head. He wasn't young, one could see the poor man had been through a lot – he certainly had made a few enemies over the years.

"I-I ... Forgive me, My Queen, the b-boy...h-he came out of nowhere," He bowed before her, too scared to meet the angry expression of the powerful witch before him, "I d-did not know that the b-boy would do it." He stuttered and his body shook.

Victoria let out a fierce growl and turned around to face the hunched over man. Her black robe swaying elegantly as she made her way towards the quaking figure.

"Have I not made myself clear? Those two children possess a power you couldn't even begin to imagine – a power greater than anything ever seen before. Do not to let your experiences with that scarred fool blind you from your task. It will be the last thing you do." Her voice was harsh and unforgiven. She would not show mercy to him. Her eyes shone a magnificent silver under the moonlight – the same colour as her long, luscious hair.

"Yes, My Queen." He squeaked an turned to leave the class room but was stopped by the woman once more.

"I am not done with you." Her words came as a threat that could shivers down the spines of anyone – even the great Voldemort himself. Her eyes darted around the room until they fell upon a man wearing black.

"Stephen! Escort this worthless thing out. I don't want him near my sight. He has failed me and has to pay the price. Do what you must." She pulled her nose up as if the cowering man before was nothing more than a foul stench. Stephen emerged from the shadows and gripped the man by his old, tattered coat.

"No! Please! My Queen, forgive me!" He cried out and looked at his so-called Queen with utter and undiluted fear. She turned her head and examined her appearance in the mirror, straightening the ruby crown upon her head.

"Tell me, dear Peter. Why should I spare your life? What have you done to prove yourself worthy of another day?" She asked with fake sympathy. Turning her head, she bent down to look deeply into the eyes of the man. He knew what she was doing.

Victoria possessed the power to see a person's memories – their darkest secrets. She could see your true self and use it to her advantage.

"Ah, I see you have been of some use to me after all, consider this a warning. Should you fail me again, I will give you an unimaginably painful slow death. Do I make myself clear?" She narrowed her eyes and raised a brow, daring him to disagree.

She looked up at Stephen, who was still holding Peter by his ragged clothing. "Go get me the redhead." She instructed him in a strict voice. Her long nails drummed impatiently on the wooden desk.

"Understood, Queen Luther."

________________________________________________________________

A/N

Hey guys !! Thanks for reading :)

Please vote if you liked this chapter **

***

So a certain insufferable rat with a missing finger is back... How's that gonna turn out??? 

And what's going on with Draco? Is he finally warming up to Hermione? Will he keep denying her? Will she keep denying him?