CHAPTER 14 - The Pairing

Hermione ran into the great hall while straightening her school robes which she had hurriedly put on after being woken up by Ron and Harry in the library.

She had never been late before so this was a first. She looked like a mess, her hair in a messy pony that reached below her shoulder blades but it was clear that no brushes had been abused today as it probably wasn't brushed.

Ginny was watching her friend fix herself with a cringy face. She shook her head and hid her face in her hands. Hermione was really bothered by this – that was obvious to anyone with eyes. Hermione scrambled to her seat but nobody even bothered to notice her disoriented state, they were all staring at either their food or at nothing at all.

The sixth and seventh years were basically lifeless, dead on the inside, desiccating on the outside.

"Hermione! What on earth is going on with your hair? And why are your robes a mess?" Ginny asked hastily, taking in the sight of her friend with wide eyes. Hermione groaned and the boys smiled apologetically at her.

"I fell asleep in the library, Gin. I lost track of time." Hermione muttered, not bothering to look at her friend because she was preoccupied by her hair.

"Why were you in library?" Ginny questioned, not letting the subject go just yet. It wasn't like Hermione to sneak out after curfew without the boys forcing her to.

"I...err...I was just...uhm...doing some light reading" She said with an unsure voice, hoping that no one noticed it. They did. Ginny, Harry and Ron narrowed their eyes.

"About?" Harry pushed.

Hermione coughed awkwardly, "You know... The new law and... stuff." Hermione mentally slapped herself. She never said "and stuff" when talking about research. Thankfully they dropped it.

"OK. Well hurry up then! Classes are starting now." Ginny said to Hermione, impatiently.

The distressed girl ate her food at the speed of lightening and then walked to her first class of the day with her friends. She couldn't help but feel a little calmer at the thought of school. Books...Feathers...Ink...More books. It took her restless thoughts off the dreadful fate awaiting them all at the end of the day.

Classes flew by faster than what everyone wanted them too. They were dreading the sorting of partners which would happen later that day after dinner. It was a mountain in front of the young witches and wizards as they knew that it was their last few hours as free souls. After the sorting, they would no longer have a choice in who they could love and who they could hate.

"We need to talk." A cold, strained voice interrupted her mindless thoughts. She jumped as a large, strong hand gripped her upper arm and dragged her out of the castle, to the black lake.

Draco stopped by a large rock and sat her down, standing in front of Hermione. Hermione wore a quizzical look.

"What?" she snapped. He couldn't just drag her away from everyone when it suited him.

"You can't just assume I have nothing better to do than to be dragged to a lake whenever it suits you, Malfoy!" she yelled but Draco was unbothered by her temper, his blank stare drilling holes into her soul.

"Are you finished?" He said, looking bored.

She nodded curtly and crossed her arms over her chest defiantly.

"Very well, then. I need to talk to you about last night. Let's assume that the book is right and we are part of this so-called "Divine pairing" prophecy. If we are the "divine pair", then we are most likely going to be paired tonight... If we aren't then all this is nonsense and we can carry on hating each other and the world will stay on its axis. BUT, I am not going to change how I feel about you because of a pathetic prophecy. I will always see you as filth." He spat.

"Wouldn't expect anything else, Ferret!" Hermione shot back sharply. They nodded.

"So, if I am eternally doomed by your presence, then I suppose we should do a bit more research about this thing. I have a feeling that the ministry knows about it, but I doubt they know it's us. We are polar opposites who despise each other. I think they are trying to prevent the uniting of the pair." Hermione stated.

"You may be right, but why would they want to separate them if they are supposed to "save the world" or something like that?" Draco questioned. Hermione shrugged and turned to look at the sun which was setting over the horizon.

"I think we're overthinking this. We're being silly." She sighed.

"For once, I agree with you." He confessed.

They sat in silence for a while before Hermione abandoned the blonde ferret. Draco, however, couldn't bring himself to shift from his spot. He simply remained in a dormant state.

***

The great hall was deadly silent. The minister wasn't here yet so the students sat in an awkward silence under the stormy enchanted ceiling above them.

Ginny's blue eyes were tearing up again as she counted the seconds passing by. She wanted nothing more than to run away from her destined future, she even considered giving up her magic instead. But she couldn't do that to Hermione.

Harry got up and moved to the open space next to the redhead girl.

"Hey, Gin. Don't worry, I'll be there for you regardless of you are partnered with. I l-love you..." He finally admitted. Ginny threw her arms around the boy-who-lived and sobbed violently.

"How can you tell me that when I'm about to be signed off to someone I might not know?" she cried into Harry's sweater.

Harry whispered sweet nothings into her ear and rubbed her shaking body.

Ron looked at the pair and smiled softly. He wished that they had gotten the chance to get together in an official relationship, but now it may not be possible. Just as Harry loved his sister, Ron loved Hermione. It would break him yet still warm his heart to see her happy with another man, but he would still love her regardless.

All-consuming love.

Hermione sat next to Ron, who looked at her with caring eyes filled with love. He wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly against his lean body. Her arms encased him and her delicate hands balled into fists of sorrow.

Hermione breathed in Ron's comforting scent, closing her eyes and waited for the arrival of the minister, the man who would sign her heart, her future and her life away.

The minister finally popped into the room of miserable students with the goblet of fire in his hands. His face was sickeningly cheerful as he strolled through the hall.

The coming momentswill confirm her future. Her destiny. Her fate.

________________________________________________________________

A/N

Hey guys !! Thanks for reading :)

Please vote if you liked this chapter **