CHAPTER 11 - Keeping Peace

Screams erupted from the students as the wind howled and the thunder roared. Lightening shot through the night sky as rain crashed onto the windows, little droplets resembling the streams of tears from the students. Professors were rushing to calm the students and usher them back to their houses.

Draco was crouched over, sitting defeatedly on the floor of the great hall. He was scared and confused.

"STUDENTS! SILENCE!" Dumbledore yelled out, demanding the attention and obedience of his students.

The flames of the torches lit up again and there was light in the hall once more. The students were shivering with fear, looking at the pair in front of them, neither of which had moved since Draco's outburst.

"IN AN ORDERLY FASHION, please return back to your houses, your house professor shall meet you there. The pairing shall take place tomorrow after school." Dumbledore finished, but the students were too busy trying to comprehend what had happened to be bothered by the mention of the law.

"Not you, Blaise and Ginny." Ginny and Blaise froze at the mention of their names from Dumbledore. "Miss Granger, you may leave. I ask that you escort Mr Malfoy to his house as well." Hermione quickly nodded, wanting to leave as soon as possible.

She helped Draco to his feet and dragged him out of the hall.

I can't believe I'm helping the bloody ferret. She thought to herself in disbelief.

***

"Miss Weasley and Mr Zabini, please sit." Dumbledore instructed. "Lemon Drop?" Ginny rolled her eyes at her headmaster.

Not everything can be fixed by a bloody lemon drop, Albus. Ginny snapped silently. Blinded by fury and confusion, she played with her fingers while staring at her hands in her lap.

"Very well then." He said and turned to stir his cup of tea and grab a few biscuits in the process as well. Ginny and Blaise sat in silence as they watched the old man walk with a skip in his stride, both growing rather impatient.

"Professor? Could you please explain why we are here?" Ginny spoke up after a while.

"Ah, yes. Forgive me." He said as if forgetting that they were there. "I seem to be rather preoccupied with my thoughts lately, forgive me. Moving on, I am sure that Professor McGonagall has spoken to you about the ... how do you say ... situation ... between Hermione and Draco, correct?" They nodded and waited for him to continue.

"Good. What happened tonight wasn't supposed to happen ... Draco lost control over his emotions and caused quite the scene. It seems that he lacks the self-control which is vital to the safety of both himself and Miss Granger." Dumbledore pondered over something for a moment.

"Mr Zabini, I must ask of you a favour. Mr Malfoy will not be very pleased with the choice in his pairing for the law, though personally I think it is brilliant! They complement each other so well!" he paused and smiled slightly, thinking about the combination which may possibly prove to be disastrous.

"Anyway, that being said, his emotions will be all over the place and I doubt he will be able to control them in even the slightest manner. He is a danger to himself and those surrounding him at this given time. You have to keep him calm at all times. It is of utmost importance that you do." Dumbledore's voice dropped several tones lower, his eyes showing the seriousness of the task given to Blaise.

Ginny looked startled at the reaction from Dumbledore. "Where do I come into this plan, Professor?" Ginny questioned hesitantly.

"Miss Weasley, Hermione will be no more pleased than Mr Malfoy by her chosen spouse, but as I said before, I think it is an excellent combination. Although she seems more in tune with her emotions and has more control over them, it is highly likely that she, too, will have an outburst similar to that of Mr Malfoy's. You have to keep her in check as well, ensure that she builds a trust in herself." He finished.

Ginny nodded in understanding and exchanged a cautious glance with Blaise.

"Very well, this is where things become a little challenging," Dumbledore continued, "Mr Malfoy and Miss Granger have to get along. With their abilities combined, they can do wonders together, however, disastrous things can come as a result of the disliking they share for one another. Their abilities, when separated, are dangerous when used incorrectly. They were given the same abilities but in opposite concepts, one light - the other ... dark." He trailed off with a blank stare.

"They can keep the other under control and prevent any danger. It is vital that they get along." Dumbledore instructed in a serious note.

The two students nodded and were dismissed. They separated and went to their common rooms, still thinking about the plan.

How on Earth were they going to get two people who completely hate each other to get along. This is madness!

***

Hermione walked to the dungeons, dragging Draco along with great difficulty.

"Malfoy, you could've helped me, you know that, right?" Hermione huffed as they reached the Slytherin portrait.

"I know, but why would I ever do that?" he said sounding perfectly fine as he got back up and stretched, dusting himself off, as if he had not just been dragged from the great hall to his house dormitory.

Hermione scoffed with disbelief.

"What happened back there, you know, in the hall?" Hermione asked hesitantly.

Draco flinched at the thought. He sighed, feeling as though he could trust her for some odd reason.

"I don't know... I felt so angry and there was a burning sensation in me that felt like a volcano about to erupt..." He confessed.

Hermione's eyes widened. She felt it too.

"Malfoy, this is going to sound totally mental, but I felt it too. Exactly how you described it. When you lost control, it felt like the weight of the burn was taken away, but I felt cold and empty... I know, I sound insane."

Draco shrugged. "Maybe you're not insane, maybe your just connected to people." He said and walked into the common room of the Slytherin house, shutting the portrait behind him.

Hermione was baffled by how quickly he accepted her answer. She could still remember the feeling of rage in her core about to escape into flames of fury. Her mind was not in the right place back in the hall, she felt a bit distant from her thoughts and feelings... like they weren't hers but someone else's...

Malfoy had said that he lost control over the burn in him, what if that were to happen to her? What would happen if she lost control as well? She pushed the thought away, maybe she was just a bit imaginative tonight.

Or was she?

His eyes were a soul-piercing scarlet when he broke down, the silver grey long gone. She wasn't scared, though. She felt worried instead, it was odd to say the least. But the words of Draco refused to become silent in her stream of thoughts.

What if he was right? What if she did have a connection to people?

A connection to him...

________________________________________________________________

A/N

Hey guys !! Thanks for reading :)

Please vote if you liked this chapter **

Edited: 25/07/2020