SEVENTEEN. CRUMBLING

A.N. This chapter mentions death and shows a very very sad Joe, so be warned.

----------------------/\----------------------

When Cleo got home from her week across the pond, she laid in bed and couldn't help herself scrolling through pictures from the trip on her phone. She had to zoom in on her face in a couple of photo's to make sure that her happiness and the past few weeks was real and not some random day dream she had been having. The photo's and memories didn't lie, she was happier than she had been in a long time.

After everything that happened last time she got into a relationship, Cleo thought being this happy would never be possible, that loving someone so much you'd do anything for them would never happen to her. Yet here she was, laying in bed with memories of the past few months with Joe as a boyfriend. She was so lucky to have met him.

She woke a bit later than usual, making sure to walk Avery and unpack her suitcase before coming back for her afternoon shift.

"Afternoon dad." Cleo greeted as she came behind the bar, noticing her dad was the closest to her restocking the Salt and Vinegar crisps.

"Well hello." Jack smiled at his daughter, happy to see her back. "What time did you get in? I don't remember seeing you."

"About 10. I was feeling tired so I just went up and straight to bed."

"Guessing you had a good time, then." Jack made a knowing face, leaning his arm on a beer pump. The odd picture she sent of them in New York showed the nice time she was having, and Jack was so glad she enjoyed her time there. She hadn't been on a good holiday since a group one that she went on to Mallorca with Kath, Archer, Charlie and Patrick. And that was over 3 years ago.

"Sure did."

"Good. And how was meeting his parents? Did it go alright?"

"It went really well. His parents are both great." Cleo said before she sent a small smile to a man at the bar, beginning to serve him.

"Can I ask how his dad seemed? Was he somewhat okay?" Jack followed Cleo to the beer pump she needed, interested to get an update on Joe's dad.

"I dunno. He couldn't speak which he hasn't been able to for weeks apparently." She said as she started to pull a pint of what the customer wanted.

"Oh."

"But, according to Joe, he liked me, so I'll take that."

"Well, that's good. So how come he didn't come back with you then? I thought he was supposed to. Unless you're hiding him upstairs for some reason." Jack said, making Cleo roll her eyes.

"I told him to stay and spend time with his family. Reshoots for the movie don't start for another month so I told him to take this time with his dad." She said then turning her attention to her customer. "£2.80 please." She put his pint in front of him and took the exact change he had given her to the till.

"You don't think he's got long left, do you?" Jack asked, hands going into his pockets.

"Is it that obvious?" She shut the till with her hip to run her fingers through her hair.

"After your grandma had her stroke, your mother insisted I spend all the time I could with her. And it seems you've done the same."

"He's already spent months away from them with the movie. I just don't want him to miss any moments he could have with them. He's missed loads already."

"You've always been the caring sort. Take after your mum." Jack smiled, pulling her into a side hug. "If he ever takes you for granted, let us know and your mum will let Grandma Dristi on him. And you know what she's like when it comes to her grand-kids." Cleo smiled, knowing exactly how Grandma Dristi got when her family was messed with. The shoe would come off, that's for sure.