SIXTEEN. MEET THE PARENTS

The plane landed at JFK airport in New York after 8 hours of calm flight. Cleo looked out the windows as they departed the plane and felt excitement when she saw the sun shining and the skies clear, with the temperature apparently being a brilliant 28 degrees Celsius. England would only ever get weather like this a week out of the entire year, if they were lucky. However, as soon as they exited the plane and felt the heat from outside, Cleo knew what was about to happen and to what extent. A Britain in America never goes smoothly.

"My god, it's gonna be so warm, isn't it?" Cleo asked as they walked hand in hand through the walkway from the plane to the airport.

"I thought you wanted it to be." Joe replied, thinking back to how excited she got once they entered American airspace, insisting on laying on his side of of the business seats to watch out the window. She was so cute when she was exited.

"I do, but there's warm and then there's too warm. I'm so glad I brought shorts in my bag." She reminded. Wearing jeans in America was never going to be a good idea for Cleo, so she brought the shorts to change into before leaving the airport. She thinks ahead. She was then hit with a wave of cool air as they entered the airport building. "Oh my god. Air conditioning, you beauty." The air con in the airport hit Cleo like the nicest slap in the face and may have just saved her life from being melted away. She closed her eyes and embraced the cool air hitting her sweaty skin. "I do hope it cools down outside though cause my hair frizzes up like mad when it's humid."

"Really? How bad?"

"Pretty bad. I did bring my anti-frizz spray but it won't work. I dunno why I bothered with it."

"I bet you're still beautiful though." He whispered to her, leaning over to kiss her cheek, his arm going over her shoulders. Her arm went automatically around his back, wanting to be as close to him as possible.

"I'm really not. Are you as thirsty as I am?"

"A little. We can get some water before we leave." He informed, leading her towards passport control.

"Cool, cool. No doubt, no doubt." She nodded, quoting the character Jake Peralta from her favourite show.

"What?" He chuckled, wondering why she chose to say those words like that.

"I thought you watched Brooklyn Nine-Nine."

"I do." Then he realised and his eyebrows raised. "Oh! I get it. It's what Jake says."

"The fact you didn't recognise that straight away, hurts me."

Once they got past passport control, they couple continued on and headed towards the conveyors to collect their luggage.

"I hope this summer isn't too warm cause we don't have aircon like you do." Cleo thought out loud, now cooler and happier as they continued to walk.

"You'll be alright."

"No. We won't. Our houses are made to keep heat in so whenever we have a heatwave, we really struggle. God knows how Avery's gonna be if we do get a heatwave."

"Get him one of those blow up swimming pools. Ben has one for Frankie. Maybe it'll work for Avery." He told her, squeezing her hand that was in his.

"And how do you know that Ben has a little pool for Frankie?" Joe opened his mouth to answer but Cleo put her hand out and stopped him. "Actually. Don't answer. I don't wanna know. Anyway, I'm gonna head to the toilet and change into the shorts."

"Okie dokie. I'll meet you at the conveyor's, okay?"

"Okay. Don't walk off with my stuff." She warned, pecking his lips before heading towards the ladies toilets.