Chapter XXII

Dia closed her eyes. The lobby was not bright, but for a person who had not left the house and had not been near a window in almost two months, the sun was prickier than thorns. Her eyes were moist when she opened them. She looked to her left and saw Anya smiling. “Let's go.” Dia tightened her grip on Anya's arm. “Stay close.” Did whispered.

“I will.”

Dia pushed herself closer to Anya when she saw a man walking towards them.  She bowed her head as deep as she could.  She was scared of getting caught. “He is gone. Calm down.” Anya whispered. Dia nodded her head but did not calm down. She found it difficult to breathe. Soon there was nothing but Sky above them.  Dia again pushed herself closer to Anya as more and more people came in their view. Anya was not making it obvious, but she was scared. Even she was scared that someone might recognise Dia. But she kept her calm as she did not want to worry Dia. Anya had booked an Uber which was waiting for them outside their society gate. In a few seconds, they were in the car.

“You did well,” Anya whispered Dia.

“I want to look around and see if there is someone I know, but that will catch more attention, right?”

“Not in the car.”

Dia nodded a couple of times before she quickly looked around her.  Once she was done she sat straight,  relaxed, but on alert.  Soon the cab started moving forward, moving Dia’s anxiety forward, too. For the whole journey, Anya kept talking to Dia to keep her distracted.  Dia also tried to get engaged in the conversation to keep other thoughts out of her mind, but she could not do that. She kept feeling there were eyes on her. She was holding Anya's hand tightly. Her nails were hurting Anya, but she said nothing.  After thirty minutes they reached their destination.  Anya paid the driver before coming out of the cab. They slowly came out of the cab. It was seven in the morning and there were a handful of people. They moved quietly but quickly. Dia did not raise her head even for a moment. She lifted her eyes for a brief movement and saw a lady staring at them. She did not dare to look up after that.

“We are inside. You can look up.” Dia slowly looked up when Anya said that. “Samar.”

Samar came out of his room and smiled at them.  Dia recognised him immediately. She was not aware that Samar was the psychologist she was coming to meet.

“Dia, you remember him, right?”  Dia slowly nodded her head, but none of them paid attention to her.  “Why is no one here?  Why is this place always empty?”

“Have you seen the time? Only birds come at this time. You always have to do something unusual. Anyway, there is someone upstairs.”

Anya looked around, “there is upstairs, too? “

“Yeah. That way. “ Samar pointed to where the stairs where. Anya nodded her head when she saw the stairs. 

“Here you go. All the best, Dia.” Anya said before slowly removing her cousin’s hand from her arm. 

“Come, Dia,” Samar said with a wide welcome smile. Dia looked at her cousin who smiled as well. “I am here. Don’t worry.” Anya whispered.

Samar led the way and Dia followed him.  Once inside the room, Samar closed the door and sat on his chair.  Dia sat on the chair across from him before looking at the door.  The upper part of the door was transparent. Dia could see Anya.  She felt at ease when she saw her cousin.

“It is nice to meet you again, Dia.”

Dia looked at Anya one last time before turning her face.  She was holding her hands together.  As always, she was looking at her fingers.