Chapter XLIV

Next morning, Dia was more severe than Anya expected. She didn't let her go to work, she didn't let her do anything, and she didn't even let her leave the bed. Anya followed her orders only to the point it was convenient for her. Then she found a way to get out of it. Dia strictly prohibited her from going to the office but when Anya said she wanted to meet Samar, Dia protested a little and then happily said her goodbye.

Anya without any shame had lied to her cousin. She went exactly where Dia told her not to. She was not eager to work but she was eager to meet someone. To avoid her colleagues, instead of going to the office she went up to the top terrace and asked Himani to help her meet Rohit.

The terrace was her favourite place in the building. She was often found there. But after Dia came in her life everything changed. Some things consciously, some unconsciously. Her life had been occupied with many things to do anything she liked. Everything took a backseat and Anya did not notice that. Being there after many months made her realise how much she had missed that place. It was a windy day making it more amiable for her.

"What do you want?"

Anya turned around and saw Rohit standing there. What she did next was not only something she did for the first time but also something she never thought she would ever do. She smiled before saying, "I just wanted to say thank you." He was looking up at the sky. His reply was nodding his head but he said nothing. Anya curled her lips and continued, "I thought you would tell him the truth."

"I would never do that. Even though I hate you the most."

After pausing for a moment she looked down and smiled again. "That is the first thing you said that made me think maybe you are a nice human being."

He chuckled but didn't look at her. He walked towards a wall which was in front of him. Taking the wall as his back support he faced Anya. "Why did you help? Do you know her by any chance?"

"How will I know her? Will you let me be around anyone in your family?"

Anya shook her head. "That is true. Then why did you help?"

He looked at her for a moment before looking at the sky again. He smiled when he started. "I had a sister. Roundly ten years older than me. She got married when I was very young. Her husband was certainly not a good man. He used to doubt her, abuse her, beat her. I don't remember her smiling after she got married. She was rarely allowed to come home or meet us. My parents, of course, cried with her but did nothing. They kept telling her everything will be alright. They gave her false hope but not a helping hand.  They hated him with all their hearts but did not find the courage to stand up to him." He frowned." Our society thinks once married, it's a done deal and nothing can happen then. That's so stupid."

"How is she now?"

"Free. After a couple of years, one night after coming back from work he was beating her with his belt. She usually never protested but that night she had it enough. She found the courage to stand up and leave. She ran out of her house. Her house was on the main road. In less than ten seconds she was on the road and she did not look around. She was hit by a local bus." Anya's eyes widely instantly. "Died on the spot." She bit her lips. "I never forgot that. I will never forget that. She was my favourite person. After that, I never talked to my parents properly. They could have helped but they did not."

"I am sure they wanted to help."

"What is the want for if it does not create action?" Anya looked down. She did not know how to console someone, especially in the case of deaths. After one minute of silence, Rohit continued, "I will never tell anyone. So, don't worry about that. Just take care of her. Keep her safe. She really needs you."