Chapter LV

The Sun was beaming proudly in the sky as the owner of it and all. The sky was blue and clear, something not seen much by the city in the last couple of months. With blue sky, there were birds that appeared black. It was the scenery, every primary school kid preferred to draw over anything and everything. The only missing thing in that scenery was the mountain which was near but on in the frame. The rainy season had ended and it was warm before the winter commenced.

Dia was in a famous coffee shop, waiting for Aman, who was late. She had been seated for five minutes but the AC. still had no effect on her. October heat, a part of summer lost between two different seasons, was strong and blunt. Dia was regretting letting her hair loose, it was no friend of the heat. The incident reminded her of the time when her face and body was cover in black cloth every time she meets the sun. It was hard for her but those days were more precious than the present. She smiled thinking of her time in the past.

Aman came not less than fifteen minutes after her arrival. She crossed her arms confidently, ready to hear what he wanted to say. He got comfortable, made his order and had a conversation with his client on the phone before he paid any attention to her. "I am signing the papers but you must sign a paper which says you will not reveal anything related to me. If you do so there will be consequences. Let's separate our ways without causing problems for each other."

"I have caused no problem but your father sent a few festive greetings."

"You were the one who vanished and started the problem."

Dia chuckled. "Sure it was my fault."

"It was. You could have asked for the divorce and it would have ended months ago, peacefully."

"I would have asked and you would have given me the divorce that easily? All I had to do was ask?" She asked rolling her eyes internally.

"Yes. You only had to ask."

"And you would have happily done that?"

"Yes, I would have happily done that."

Dia pressed her lips together to stop herself from talking. She held a steady gaze at him for a moment before nodding her head. "Then I am sorry for wasting your time. I did not know things were that easy."

He looked down with no response. Dia, whose emotions got out of her hands managed to control it. She gained a lot in the past few months and the most valuable of them was patience. Taking a deep breath she looked at him. "Why did you want to meet? I am not going to meet you again like this."

"This would be our last meeting. After today we both will not disturb each other. Let's pretend we never met."

She smiled looking at his fingers. "I have known you for a long time for me to forget that we met. But sure. That's for the best." She looked away before saying, " why are we here today?"

"I thought I must speak before it ends." She looked up and listened to him attentively. " You were my parent's choice. I was never asked if I liked you. I did my best to be a nice son, a nice husband, you cannot deny. But then I could take it no more. My father was never satisfied, so I thought if I cannot be a good son why must I pretend to be a good husband. I tried, I did but you could never be the one. You followed my every order religiously and stopped me never. You allowed me to treat you the way I wanted and so I did. If you had stopped, I would have stopped but you never made an effort. It made me angrier. It made me feel like a monster and my father made me feel like a failure. Both of you disturbed me, made me angry and changed the way I was. Any chance of liking you disappeared after that. I was never in love with you and I never will be. So it's better we end it. Do you not agree?"