37

"What's going on in here?"

You looked up from your phone and grinned at Ethan, standing in the doorway, holding a bouquet of white roses and a box of your favorite candy. "Babe! You're back!"

He laughed. "Of course I am. Did you think I'd be gone forever?"

"Sure seemed like it." Amy chimed in as Mark walked in the room. "I thought you said you'd be gone for an hour."

Mark rubbed his neck nervously. "Yeah, about that. Ethan convinced me to stop by their apartment and check in on stuff."

"That reminds me!" Ethan exclaimed. He pulled out an envelope from his back pocket. "Found this in the mailbox. It's from your dad."

You took the envelope. "From my dad? How..." You stopped talking as you began to read the letter.

My dear (Y/n),

By the time you read this letter, your mother and I are long gone from this world. I gave this to your uncle Joshua for safekeeping until this day came. Embedded in this letter are some secrets your mother and I kept from you for all these years. Read carefully.

Amy noticed your concentrated look and turned to Mark. "We should leave them alone." She took Mark's hand and led him out of the room. Jakob opened his mouth to say something, shook his head, and followed the two, shutting the door behind him.

"What's it say?"

"I'm not done reading. Shush."

First of all, your mother and I weren't who you thought we were. We weren't the poor parents you thought we were your whole life. I wouldn't call us millionaires, but we do have a large bank account with thousands and thousands of dollars inside. The card is included in the envelope, and there is no PIN number for it, since it's never been used before.

Also included in the envelope should be keys to your dream car, which uncle Joshua will be bringing to you, along with a set of keys to a large and beautiful home in Los Angeles that your mother and I had filled with furniture and everything you and Rose could possibly need.

Speaking of which, I don't think we've ever introduced you to her. I'll do it through this letter. A few years back, when your mother and I decided to have our break with each other, I had slept with another woman. I got drunk at a bar one night, met someone, and suddenly, I had another daughter. She's been living with us for quite some time, ever since her mother passed from a heroin overdose. Since your mother and I are gone ourselves, when you turn a responsible, adult age, Rose will be under your care. Until then, she is to live with uncle Joshua. I trust you will take care of her.

Goodbye, my daughter. Know that your mother and I love you very much. We will see you again someday.
~Your father
P.S.- call uncle Joshua as soon as this letter arrives.

You folded up the letter and put it back in the envelope and Ethan stepped closer to you, wiping away the tears that had unknowingly fallen down your face.

You shook your head. "I'm fine, I promise. Just... a lot to take in." You grabbed your phone and went into your contacts, pressing the one for Joshua. It rang a few times before he picked up.

"Hello, Joshua Peaks, how can I help you?"

You smiled, remembering the funny way he always answered the phone. "Uncle Joshua? It's your niece, (Y/n). I just got the letter."

"Good timing! The car is already on my trailer, and Rose is all packed and ready to go. We'll be at your apartment in about an hour."

"Yeah, about that- I'm not at my apartment. I'm at the hospital."

The line was silent for a brief moment. "Don't Tell me you're in the same situation as your parents were-"

"No, I promise I'm not! Nothing like that! I was just in a really bad wreck. I'm here until my concussion goes away."

"Do you mind if I stay with you and Rose until they release you from the hospital? Sorry, I just don't want to leave you two alone there."

You smiled. "You're fine. Of course you can stay. Just until I'm released. Okay?"

"Okay. See you soon, (Y/n)."

"Goodbye, uncle Joshua." You hung up the phone and looked up at Ethan. "My uncle and sister are coming soon."

His eyes widened. "Sister? When did you have a sister?"

You handed him the envelope. "That's not the only surprising thing I learned. Read it."

He pushed the envelope back to you. "Nope, it's yours. Tell me."

You sighed. "You're complicated."

"So I've heard. Tell me!"

"Fine. From the beginning, I guess." You took a deep breath. "I have my own really cool car now, along with my own house here in LA. I also apparently have a younger sister named Rose. Oh, and did I mention that I'm apparently rich now?"

Ethan's eyes were wide. "Wow. Okay. So when's this Joshua and Rose getting here?"

"About an hour. Uncle Joshua lives in Irvine, so it shouldn't be too long if traffic isn't so bad."

Ethan nodded. "Okay. And he's staying until you're released?"

You nodded. "Yeah. Just to be safe."

Ethan paused for a moment. "Are we moving into the house?"

You shrugged. "I don't know. I've never even seen the place yet."

"Fair point. We'll go look at it once you're released." He looked in your eyes. "Do you know when you'll be getting out?"

"Jakob said in at least three days. That should be a good amount of time, right?"

"Right. We can make it. Right?"

"Of course."

We couldn't.