46

Hey hey, before you read this chapter, I have to warn you! There is a trigger warning in this chapter concerning suicide. If this topic makes you uncomfortable, please skip this chapter. Thank you!

"I wonder what Rose is doing upstairs." You said to yourself as you helped Ethan finish dinner.

"Probably still exploring the house just to make sure there's no secrets." Ethan grinned at you, but it fell when you didn't smile back. "Babe, she's fine. If you don't believe me, then go up and check on her. Dinner's almost done, anyways."

You sighed, then cleaned your hands at the sink. "Alright. Be back soon." You quickly kissed his cheek before making your way to the staircase and up to the second floor. You stopped in front of Rose's bedroom and knocked. "Rose?" You called out. "It's time to eat." You paused to wait for a reply, but after hearing none opened the door. She wasn't in there. You turned to look in the library before the bathroom door caught your eyes. It was cracked open, and a pale light filtered into the hallway. You approached it cautiously. "Rose?" You knocked quietly on the door. "Are you in here?" After getting no response again, you pushed the door open.

Laying on the ground, with her arms and legs sprawled out, was Rose. She looked sickly pale, and you could tell her chest was barely rising as she breathed. Her shirt had shifted slightly, and you gagged upon seeing her collar bones clearly. You realized for the first time that she was also unbearably skinny- not at all how a teenager should look like.

"Oh my God." You clamped a hand over your mouth as you gagged again. "Oh my God." You looked around and spotted a near-empty bottle of prescription pills. You looked at the label.

Rose T. (L/n)
Anxiety/Mood Stabilizer
Take two (2) tablets when needed

You looked at the receiving date and realized that she had gotten this just before she came to be with you.

It shouldn't be this empty so soon.

"Oh my God!" You screamed. "Ethan!" You quickly pulled out your phone and dialed the number to the nearest emergency room.

"Franciscan Health Center, this is Melissa speaking."

You spoke quickly as Ethan appeared in the doorway. Tears flowed freely down your face. "My sister's unconscious in the bathroom, she's barely breathing, I think she overdosed on her prescription-"

"Ma'am, slow down, I'm afraid I can't understand what you're saying."

You sniffed and slowed down your words. "My sister. I came upstairs to get her for dinner, and I couldn't find her in her bedroom. I looked in the bathroom, and she was laying down on the bathroom floor, passed out... I found her prescription medicine nearby, and it was almost gone... she had just gotten it, too-" You choked on a sob.

"Ma'am, it's alright." She reassured you. "Can I get your address and your sister's name?" You have her both. "Okay. An ambulance is on its way now. Is your sister still breathing?"

You looked towards Ethan, who had made his way into the room and was currently sitting by Rose's head, checking her pulse. "She's still breathing, right?" He looked up at you and nodded. "Yes, She is, but barely."

"Is there anyone else in the room with you?"

"Uhm, my boyfriend, Ethan Nestor."

"And is there any adult in the house with you?"

"My boyfriend and I are the only adults. I'm twenty-three, and he's twenty-two."

"Okay. Sorry." She paused for a moment, and you could hear her typing. "The ambulance should be arriving soon. Would you like to stay on the line until they arrive?"

"Yes. Please."

"Uhm. Babe?" You looked over at Ethan. "She's fading."

"No. Nononono. Rose, please." You reached over and grasped her hand. "I just met you, Rose. You can't leave me!"

"Ma'am, the ambulance is almost at your home." You choked on another sob as you reluctantly let go.

"Stay in here." You commanded Ethan. "I'm going to greet the paramedics when they get here." Ethan nodded, and you raced downstairs and outside.

You didn't have to wait long- the ambulance appeared in the driveway just a moment later. "Okay. The ambulance is here. Thank you for staying on the line with me."

"You're welcome." You hung up the phone.

Three paramedics climbed out of the ambulance, two of them pulling a stretcher. You turned towards the two with a stretcher. "She's up on the second floor in the bathroom." They nodded to you and entered the house.

The third approached you, wearing a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, ma'am. She's in good hands."

You took a shaky breath. "I-I know. I just... I can't believe it."

"I know. A lot of people are in shock after this kind of thing. Can you tell me what your relationship is with her?"

You nodded. "Yeah. She's my little sister."

"How long has she been in your care?"

"Uhm, about a week, now. Before then, she lived with our parents, until they passed, then she lived with our uncle for a brief time."

"Has she mentioned or showed and signs before this?"

"No, sir." You paused, thinking about it. "Actually, since I met her, she hasn't ate much. I know for a fact she didn't eat breakfast this morning."

"And what about lunch or dinner?"

"I don't know if she ate lunch. My boyfriend and I were working at the time. And we were about to have dinner before I found her."

"Did she show any signs of suicidal tendencies? Self harm, degrading comments about herself?"

You shook your head. "No, sir. If she has, I haven't heard them." The two paramedics exited the house with the stretcher, and you were somewhat relieved to see Rose on it. Ethan followed them and approached you, wrapping an arm tightly around your waist. You reciprocated the sideways hug, then turned back to the man in front of you. "Can I ride in the ambulance, too? I... I want to be with her."

"I can understand why, but you can't. I'm sorry, but it's really not my decision for that. I would allow it, but the two need room if they have any hope of keeping her alive. You can follow behind us, though. We'll get to the hospital quickly."

You nodded. "Okay. Thank you." He smiled at you again, then climbed behind the wheel of the ambulance. The two others carefully and quickly got Rose in the back and closed the door. In a brief moment, they were gone. You turned towards Ethan and let out the broken sob you had been holding in. Ethan pulled you into a proper hug, and you rested your face against his shoulder. "I'm fine. I'm fine. I'm fine."

Ethan shook his head, holding you tightly. "No, you're not." He pulled away gently, and held you by the arms. "Get in the car. We're going to follow them." You nodded, wiped your cheeks, and climbed into the car. Ethan walked into the house and came back out quickly, holding both of your bags and the car keys. He climbed in, handed the bags to you, and started the car. "Your wallet, phone charger, favorite book, and some snacks are in your bag."

You smiled gratefully. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." He stared at you seriously. "She's going to be okay, (Y/n). She won't leave."

"I... I know."

She can't.