~45~ The Innocent Suffers

Sally's POV

Walking past Lisa's house was a common occurrence. I remember the times when I would just walk in like I owned the place. That's how close she and I were, but it's not like that anymore. After everything that has happened, I can't just walk in there and act like everything is back to normal.

Her mom was always watching. If I were to do that I could kiss my family goodbye. I continued to sit on the grass across from Lisa's house. It was a small area that was once occupied, but they took it down a year ago and never built it back up. I really missed her. Hanging out with her, talking with her, laughing with her, everything.

It really sucked that her mom had this much power over me and her. So much power to break up 7 years of friendship. That night when I had to hurt Lisa was the worst night of my life. I had to make it believable though, her mom was watching.

I couldn't risk her life and my families. I watched from across the street as Lisa talked to Jacob and Jason. She had a mark on her forehead that I couldn't really decipher what it said from where I was. It was most likely from one of her brothers. Her brothers were like the brothers I never had, well except for Dylan. He never liked me much for some reason.

I continued to watch her for some time, imagining the time we spent together. Some would call this stalking, but it was as close as I could get to her without causing problems. I would consider school, but I was forced to drop out. Officers came by a couple of times to ask why I wasn't showing up. I just explained that I was doing homeschooling now. I actually signed up to prevent further questions.

It took a lot of convincing of my parents, but they agreed. Thankfully they didn't ask too many questions.

I decided to leave before I was spotted. That wouldn't end well at all. I walked the distance it took to get to my house, which was about 25 minutes. But I didn't care. I had a lot to think about anyway.

When I arrived at my house, I realized the door was wide open. That was unusual on its own. I looked around, then slowly walked inside. It was eerily quiet. I didn't hear the sound of my 7-year-old sister or of my very talkative parents. "Hello? Mom? Dad? Bonnie?" I shouted.

I could feel the nervousness and fear building up in my stomach. I walked through the living room and the bedrooms, and there was still no sign of them. Now I was really starting to panic. They couldn't have gone anywhere. The door was left wide open!

After checking all of the rooms, I went back into the living room. There was no sight of them at all. I ran a hand through my hair. Tears were already streaming down my face when I found a note on the counter.

As you may have noticed already, your family is gone. Don't worry they are not harmed. They are simply on a little vacation. How long and permanent it is, is completely up to you. I know you told Lisa, and that was a dear mistake, but because I am not as evil as my daughter makes me out to be I won't do anything to them, yet. Don't take anything personally, besides her brothers, this is the only other way to hurt her. Sorry, you had to get stuck in the middle. Have a great day!

I stared at the note in astonishment. Before I could do anything I was knocked out.

~Overprotective~

I woke up in the same spot. My head was throbbing and when I brought my hand down from it I saw blood. I hadn't heard anyone come in at all. I looked around and immediately checked for the note, but it was gone.

She had my family. There was nothing I could do about it. They were gone. I don't know how safe they were, or if they were even still alive. For all, I know that note could be a complete lie and they were all dead.