XI. OLD FRIENDS

ლ

ELLIE WAS LAYING IN the backseat of the car. Andrew and Remmi where sitting in the front. The silence was filled with an old Johnny Cash CD an hour ago.

Neither of them could take it. Andrew and Remmi hated silence. It was a trait they inherited from their mother.

"Do... Do you remember when we took Matt to the beach?" Andrew asked his sister. "How excited he was?"

"Yeah," Remmi sniffled. "I remember." Remmi had just moved to King's County then and the family thought they could use a trip.

It was their last trip before everything went wrong.

"You where excited too," Andrew said, giving her a smile.

"Well duh," Remmi said, wiping her nose on the grey, long sleeve she wore. "We hadn't been to the beach since we where kids."

"Do you remember how ma and dad surprised us? They bought us those shovels," Andrew laughed.

"And you wanted to surprise Matt that way but Ellie wasn't having it," Remmi chuckled.

Neither of them spoke for a while after that.

"Rem, I'm gonna ask you something and you're not allowed to get defensive, okay?" She nodded. "Why where you ever with Derek? Why didn't you leave?"

"I couldn't," She answered. "It was hard. He made it impossible to leave. He always made sure he went home when I got home... It was horrible Andy..."

"Why didn't you tell us? I would've drove to Atlanta myself and killed the son of a bitch," Andrew told her. "I could've protected you. Like I did in high school. I'm sorry I wasn't there Remmi."

"Don't apologize, you didn't do anything. It's okay,"

The two talked about different things after that. Mostly reminiscing their childhood or memories they had with their parents. The conversation was forced to end when the caravan had stopped.

"What's going on?" Ellie asked, sitting up and rubbing her eyes. "Are we here?"

"Not yet baby, get some more rest okay?" Andrew told his wife to which she nodded and just laid back down.

Remmi and Andrew got out of the car, going to see what was going on.

"Radiator hose," Dale answered. "It's shot again. Ran out of duct tape too."

"I think I got some back in my car, want me to check?" Andrew asked the old man, to which he gratefully accepted.

"I don't think Jim's got much more time," Jacqui announced. "He wants to stay here."

"Is he lucid?" Lori asked.

"Let me talk to him," Rick told her. Jacqui just moved out of the way, knowing that Rick wouldn't get anywhere with the stubborn man.

When Andrew came back with the duct tape, it was decided, by Jim's will, that he would stay here while the rest of them went on. They all knew he didn't have much time left.

As they said their goodbye's, the radiator hose was fixed and the caravan went on once more.

Gas tanks where full, the people looked at how quiet everything became.

Remmi noticed how... lifeless everything was. The grass seemed a little less green, the sky a little less blue and even the clouds a little less white.

All in all, it was about to over. It was the end of time and they, along with whoever was left, had to live for it. If they could even do that.

*published

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

no idea what that ending was.