XXI. FLOWERS IN HER HAIR

ლ

THAT NEXT MORNING, DARYL couldn't help but look at Remmi. How she avoided everyone's gaze. How her blue eyes were red and puffy. As if she'd been crying all night. Which wasn't not true in her case.

Daryl noticed something was wrong, he just didn't know what. He assumed it had to go with their conversation the night before. He could only assume it was about Shane and Otis.

At the funeral, Daryl had noticed how unsympathetic Shane was being about Otis' death. He didn't want to assume the worst, but he couldn't help it.

It bugged him that if Shane killed Otis that she had to witness it. He didn't want that for her. He knew how terrible his own life had been and Daryl didn't want her to have a terrible life. She didn't deserve it.

Little did he know.

So he sat there and watched her as she ate the canned greens and eggs Hershel's daughter, Beth, had so graciously gave them.

"Are you okay?" Ellie asked Remmi as she put an arm around her. Ellie had whispered her question, but Daryl was close enough to hear her.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Remmi smiled, more tears filling her eyes to which she blinked away quickly.

Daryl could only assume that Ellie knew what was wrong with the young woman.

He heard Andrew ask next and she ignored his question immediately, changing the subject to baby names to which the entire group joined in.

"What about Naomi?" Carol suggested.

"I love that!" Ellie smiled, beaming at Andrew who just kept putting eggs into his mouth.

It was another fifteen minutes before everyone was finished and gathered around the blue pick up.

"I can go up the stream maybe," Rick mumbled to which Hershel was quick to respond.

"With how much blood you lost yesterday, you're not going anywhere,"

To which Shane then said, "Well I can go,"

"No way. That foot needs rest and you won't get far by walkin' on it. You'll make it worse," Remmi told her and shook her head. "Andrew and I can go up the stream."

"I was gonna actually make a run into town," Andrew told her, scratching the back of his head.

"You can go with me," Daryl told her. "I was gonna head up through here and 'round that bend." Daryl spoke, drawing his finger down one of the many paths.

"Yeah, that's a good idea. Maybe you can get more shooting practice in," Rick told Remmi to which she agreed with.

"I can take you into town," Maggie told Andrew and he nodded in her direction, agreeing with the young woman.