XIV. BURN BABY, BURN

ლ

THAT NEXT MORNING, REMMI woke up feeling worse than she did last night. Noticing that no one was in the bed with her, Remmi spread out and stretched, hoping it would somehow make her feel better.

It didn't.

As she sat up in bed, she pulled her knee's to her chest and sighed. After a few minutes, she finally decided it was probably best to get up and get dressed. Another task she hoped would make her feel better.

While living with Derek, Remmi had to make the bed every morning or else he would freak out. It was a habit she still had a hard time breaking. She ignored it and made the bed, then moving to the corner of the room to grab her clothes.

She decided on a pair of blue jeans and a long sleeve, grey sweater. After she had changed, she laced up her boots and walked out of the room. She walked into the kitchen and rubbed her eyes, still tired.

"Morning doc, eggs?" T-Dog asked her to which she happily obliged.

"Is there any coffee?" Remmi asked.

"How great would that be?" Andrea mumbled, clearly still upset over the loss of her sister.

Andrew turned his head, "No, there isn't. Dale looked and couldn't find any,"

Remmi just nodded and ate her eggs as the rest of the group piled into the room.

Once Dr. Jenner walked into the room, he poured himself a glass of water. Dale immediately spoke up.

"Listen, doc, I don't mean to press you with questions first thing, but-"

"But you will anyway," Edwin smiled as he took a sip.

"We came for answers and well, I think all of us would like to know what happened," Dale asked the man who just nodded in reply.

"Follow me,"

"So what you're saying is you have no cure?" Andrea snapped, "Then why the hell did we come here?" She turned to Rick who sighed and put his head down.

"I told you Rick, Fort Benning was the better option. Now, we can still make it there if we just-"

"Wait. Everyone stop," Remmi said. Everyone turned towards her and was sort of surprised. Lately the young woman has become more and more outspoken and this just proved it.

"Why? No one wants to hear what you think about the virus, Remmi. You or your degree," Along with Remmi, she wasn't the only one becoming so outspoken. Andrea became angry. Every little thing set her off.

"Hey now, you better watch it," Andrew said, sticking up for his sister.

"Can you just shut up?" Remmi took a deep breathe and said, "Eddy, don't tell me that the clock counting down doesn't mean what I think?"

"What?" A chorus of 'what does it mean?' and confusion were causing a loud commotion.

"When the clock hits zero, full decontamination will commence," Dr. Jenner said quietly.

Carl turned to his mom and asked, "Mom, what does that mean?"

"Vi, define full decontamination,"

"Decontamination: the neutralization or removal of dangerous substances, radioactivity, or germs from an area, object, or person,"

"It... It sets the air on fire," Remmi answered the questioned without anyone asking. The looks on their faces were enough.

The group had finally felt it. What they haven't felt since their last day at the Quarry. They all feared for their lives at that exact moment at the exact same time.

Deep down this was something none of them could fix. Or even attempt. In fact, a few of them thought they weren't going to make it. Which was a great possibility.

*published

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

tbh this was just a filler because i was rushing to get a chapter updated in forgiveness of my bad updating 1/2 the time
this chapter was really bad. smh on my part. next one will be much better.

i hope.