Ch.24

Ch. 24

Taking in the sadden look on his mother's face, Sawyer staggered backwards as Sage's name played over and over in his mind, as he tried his best to wrap his mind around what his mother meant about she and him and what they truly were to each other. As far as he knew or was concerned, he and Sage were mates, and as much of a shaky ground that they were both on, he knew that nothing could ever change that.

Squinting his eyes at his mother, with a puzzling look reflecting in his eyes, Sawyer couldn't understand what she meant.

From the urgency that he heard in her voice, he knew that whatever she had to tell him was serious, so trying his best to not let his own curiosity get the better of him, he slowly took a step closer to his mother, stopping just before her, and placing a calm look on her.

"What's going on?" He asked in a patient tone as he kept his eyes glued on her. "Whatever it is mom, I-" he started but was cut off, when he noticed him mother bring a hand to her lips, as tears the size of peas, fell from her eyes. For the first time in his life he had seen his mother actually brake out in tears.

"I-I..." Kingsley Evans stumbled over her words as she tried her best to remain in control. As much as she believed her actions were worth it back then, she couldn't bring herself to look her son in his eyes and tell him the truth. She couldn't bare for him to hate her, and she knew that the second he heard what she had to say that it would cause him to snap in a fit of rage and anger.

"Mom?" he called out to her, stepping forward and taking his face in his hands as he started to wipe the tears away.

Pulling out of his grasp and taking a step away from him, Kingsley was able to get a grip of herself, as she gave in to a sniff, and held back the rest of the tears that threatened to fall from her eyes. Taking in a shaky breathe and running a nervous hand long the back of her neck, she silently snapped her dark eyes to her son, and took him in.

For a moment there, imagines from the time that he was just a baby all the way up until now started to surface through her mind, as she made up her mind and decided that she could live with the outcome of what happened here today. 'If anything,' she thought to herself, 'it was all worth it.'

Straightening up in her stance and placing a firm look on her face, Kingsley cleared her throat as if to make herself seem stronger as she stared into the eyes on her only son.

"Mom is everything okay? What's going on?" Sawyer asked, this time as a stronger wave of confusion flooded his thoughts and features.

"I have to tell you something." Kingsley stated in a strong voice, as she reached up and wiped the tears away.

"Yeah, so you say, is-"

Silencing him with only a finger held up in the air, Kingsley slowly started to make her way back over to her son. Stopping just before him, she reached out and took him big warm hand in hers, and held on to it tightly, as she kept her gaze on him. "I have to tell you something Sawyer," she said in a low and gentle tone, something that was not her style of doing, "And....what I have to say, may be...difficult for you to take."

"Mom, I-"

"I just want you know," she said, once again cutting him off, "that I love you no matter what. I also want you to know that I did what I did because as a mother, sometimes we have to do things that are in the best interest of our kids." She said giving his hand a tight squeeze.