Ch.34

Ch.34

                "Thank God." Sage, sighed in relief as a fresh wave of tears, streamed down her face, this time in joy, as she looked Bruno in his dark eyes. She couldn't believe that all of her wishing and praying had paid off, and for what felt like the first time in a long time, things seemed to turn in her favor.

                Her body was shaking in joy as she tried to recollect herself, thinking nothing but of him; feeling happy and grateful for the good news. "B, he's alive. I can't...I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that." She said reaching out and hugging Bruno again. Releasing a small round of laughter as she pulled away and smiled up at him.

                Bruno took that moment to let her sit in the joy, knowing that she needed some good news to bring her out of the dark place that she had been basking in since she first left this place, knowing that after her grandmother passed, that she had sunken deeper into that place. Finding out the best news regarding his cousin and seeing the smile on Sage's face, made everything worthwhile. And as he reached up and wiped the drops of tears that were falling down her face, Bruno wished that he'd could only keep that beautiful smile on her face.

                "Where is he?" she asked, all but ready to jump in the car and head to him at the drop of the dime. "Is he home? Is he at his parents place, because I-"she started already preparing herself to go to him as she tried to head back in the house to grab her keys, but was stopped by Bruno's firm hands.

                "Sage," He spoke in a low tone as he cast a sudden look on his face that Sage hadn't recognized.

                "What?" she asked in a defeated tone, fearing that Sawyer wasn't as alright as she believed. "Is something wrong? With Sawyer, I mean, is something wrong with him?" she asked developing a tremble to her voice, as a slight wave of unknown fear began to form within her. At the moment the words left her mouth, Sage's mind couldn't stop itself from going wild, thinking that he'd lost an arm, or a leg, or anything else. With the details that she heard about the Montana incident, she didn't really know what to expect and the look in Bruno's eyes weren't helping her. "Oh God, B, what happened?"

                Taking her in a more calming manner, Bruno tried his best to relax her nerves fearing that she was going to fall out at any moment, if she kept this up. "Sage, I need you to calm down. Relax, I told you, Sawyer's alive."

                "Yeah, you told me he was alive, but you didn't say if he was okay, and in one piece. Whatever it is that you have to tell me, just tell me so that I could go to him. Please Bruno, I just need to go to him."

                "That's the thing Sage, you can't."

                "I can't, what?" she asked in confusion, taking him in.

                "You can't go to him." Bruno said in a low and steady tone as he held Sage in place, trying to make her understand with his eyes.

                As more confusion began to sat in, and as she continued to look at him, Sage was slowly but surely starting to become frustrated. She needed to know was there something that he wasn't telling her, because from the way it sounded, it felt as if there was something off about Sawyer that he was trying to keep her from seeing.

                "Wh-what are you saying?" she asked shrugging out of his hold. "Is there something wrong with Sawyer, that you don't want me to see? Is he missing a body part, or something? Is it because of the blood, because he's so bloody, because-"

                "No Sage," Bruno blurted out, stopping Sage in her mini rant, as he locked eyes with her and placed a firm hand on her arms to keep her in place. With a quick sigh escaping his mouth, he bit the bullet and filled her in. "It's because he's not home. He's not at his parents place, and he's not at work. If I'm being honest with you Sage, and I'm always am, it's because Sawyer's not in his right mind."