Ch.26

Ch.26

"This can't be happening." Carson Evans breathed out slowly to herself as she and her sister, Leslie, made their way up the stairs to Sawyer's apartment floor. It was like her heart had stopped working as she waited on baited breathe to see if he were alright. After witnessing Sage pass out from all of the intense pain that she had been feeling due to her connection with Sawyer, Carson just prayed that all of their realizations had been wrong.

She prayed that nothing had happened to her brother, and that when she and Leslie knocked on his door, that he'd opened it in a state that was less concerning than the images that were playing in her head.

"Please let him be here." She whispered to herself, as they took the last steps up to his floor, and turned the corner making their way down the hall and making their way towards his apartment door.

As they stopped in front of his door, both girls paused for a split instance, as if trying their best to collect their thoughts as they simultaneously glanced up and looked each other in the eyes.

It was a quick exchange of expressions between two sisters worried for the sake of their brother's safety.

Leslie, feeling as if she needed to be the one to do this, dropped her eyes from a frantic Carson, and turned to face the door, and slowly lifted her fist up and firmly knocked. As they waited, a hesitate breathe passed between their lips as they listened for any signs of Sawyer on the other side of the door.

With each breath that passed and no sign of Sawyer being in the apartment, the worry seemed to seep deeper and deeper within each girl until all of their worst nightmares for Sawyer seemed to come true.

Pushing out a shaky breath, Carson turned her eyes on Leslie once more, trying her best to hold back the tears in her eyes. "Knock again." She demanded in a panicky tone as she eyed the door number as disbelief seemed to set in her mind.

Without saying a word, Leslie lifted her fist again and knocked at the door, this time much more harder than need be. Again a knocked was heard and again, it went unanswered. And as the last of their hope vanished into thin air, both girls turned away from the door, to go and check another place where they'd hoped to find Sawyer.

As they began to make their way down the hall, the sound of the door, unlocking and being pulled opened caught their attention.

With a bit of shock mixed with disappointment flooding on their faces, both girls turned their dark eyes up, and placed them on the man that stood tall in the doorway. Taking in the man's feature, they took in the sight of dark hair, that looked as if he had ran his hands through it a couple of times, raging green eyes that pierced down at them and a questionable look coating his eyes.

"Conner?" both Leslie and Carson asked in surprised, clearly in shock from seeing him.

"What are you doing here?" Leslie asked in a shocked tone as she stood there and took in the sight of her own mate. The last she had heard about him, he had gone back to his aunt's and uncle's pack in Wyoming, clearly as a means to get away from her.

Instead of answering him, which they'd both expected, he turned his eyes on Carson and gave her a pleasant smile, before greeting her. "Carson Evans, what are you doing here?" he asked, still haven't turned to take notice of Leslie who had grown used to his cold from of rejection over the years.

As if she had been placed on the spot, being stuck between her sister, and her sister's mate, Carson bared through it, with the only concern on her mind being her brother.