CHAPTER 4

THREE YEARS AGO

It has been a week since I found out my husband had a mistress. The revelation opened my eyes to a lot of things I ignored before. He checked off all the signs of a cheating spouse. He returned one day with a lipstick stain on his collar. It was as if he was trying to be caught or his mistress wanted him to be caught. I washed his shirt without confronting him about it. I couldn't, I wasn't ready to leave or forgive him.

I was eating away my feelings while watching Korean drama. It was the perfect therapy for me. I was in sweatpants and tank top just enjoying an evening alone. Mariana was asleep.

My husband came back home with a guest. A very beautiful, tall and slender woman. Her obviously fake hair was packed in a bun and she was dressed in a suit. Her skirt was way above her knee to be appropriate for a secretary.

My husband brought home his "secretary"
Selena. He wanted me to me meet her. I still don't know why.

"Hello" I nearly choked on my word. I wanted to crumble.

"It's so nice to meet you, Barry has told me so much about you" she said. Even her voice was perfect. Better than that stupid sexy voice she was trying to do last week.

Had I not overheard her activities with my husband, I would have been fooled by her fake sincerity. I nodded and looked at Barry questioning him with my eyes. What was she doing here?

"Well um I wanted you to meet her you know, so we could all get acquainted seeing as she works for me and you have the same name" he explained horribly and Selena number two giggled at his horrible
same name absolutely dry joke.

The other Selena started eyeing me when I didn't laugh as they were expecting. She almost looked disgusted and when I caught her eye she gave me a smile. A very fake one.

"How about we have dinner??" Barry announced with a nervous laugh. Selena clearly forced him to bring her here when I would be around. If she was expecting a jealous wife display then she'll be greatly disappointed.

I knew for sure I wasn't going to feed the mistress. "I'm not hungry" I said as softly as I could and pointed to my tub of ice cream.

Barry looked trapped. He didn't know what to do. He scratched the back of his neck and sat down before gesturing Selena to sit as well.

She sat in total silence for five minutes looking at the TV before Selena abruptly stood up. "I should get going " she announced giving me a fake smile.

"Sure. Drive safe" I said and started manipulating my phone looking desperately for a meme to cheer me up. Korean movie wasn't enough anymore.

"I don't have a car so Barry is dropping me off " she announced happily looking at me intently. I know she was waiting a reaction.

"K" I said looking her straight in eye. My expression was blank but I was dying inside.

She was stunned but she didn't say anything. She walked away Barry following closely behind her.

"I'll be back soon" he announced awkwardly and left.

The next month he bought Selena a car.